Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Down sweater

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am in the process of buying a woman's Down sweater as a mid layer to wear under a ski jacket. Looking for advise regarding the fit, is a figure hugging or slightly loose fit best.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You want it slightly loose so the down can loft up. You’ll also need to make sure you have enough room under you ski jacket so it doesn’t compress the down.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ymh, down isn’t necessarily the best mid layer... it can be too warm and it doesn’t like sweat ...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If I had a suggestion for e.g. French typical weather, I like the Arc'teryx Atom (I've said this a few times on here Happy ).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use the Atom for riding. I have a bunch of down jackets including a couple of this season's Arc ones - and very nice they are. However I like the Atom for riding - it seems more flexible (doesn't get too hot or too cold) and takes the abuse I throw at.

Most people I know use down for over the jacket (eg if you stop for lunch outside or whatever), because down packs small. For that obviously you need something large. Personally I like figure-hugging stuff for ordinary sized people at least.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I use one as intended: a sweater. Mine's a Patagonia, I think everybody makes one. I find it lighter and more flexible than fleece or wool of equal warmth. Mine is sized like a snug jacket...almost as snug as the knit sweater it replaces, and snug enough to fit under a shell without compression, as a knit sweater would.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The better quality synthetic insulation is now much more closely approaching down for warmth but still retains a lot of warmth when damp.

I have a thin RAB duvet that packs very small.

"PrimaLoft Gold insulation (and all of its many variants) is the best type of synthetic insulation out there. It was specifically designed for people who lead active lifestyles, even when the weather outside is horrendous. Therefore, its primary focus is retaining and providing warmth when you get wet. PrimaLoft Gold insulation has a clo value of 0.92, which will provide you with the same amount of warmth as 500 or 550 fill-power down would.

PrimaLoft Gold Insulation Eco is made from 55% recycled content, which warms our environmentally friendly hearts (and perhaps yours?). It is packable, extremely lightweight, and has an incredible 98% thermal efficiency. This insulation was created in such a way that it absorbs less moisture from the start, while also encouraging the passage of moisture vapor to ensure you don’t get cold or clammy. Because it is eco-friendly, many brands opt for this type of insulation; for example, Patagonia puts this type of insulation into all their products that were previously made with regular PrimaLoft Gold."
https://expertworldtravel.com/what-is-primaloft-insulation/#tab-con-1
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
If I had a suggestion for e.g. French typical weather, I like the Arc'teryx Atom (I've said this a few times on here Happy ).

The Atom Light is best item of clothing I've ever had. I've got the hoody, the jacket & the gillet. I've had them for many years now and wear them all year round and they're performance/durability is superb. It's the only clothing item that if I had to I'd pay full price for.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@spyderjon, now there’s a recommendation for you.

Mrs U and I both have two jackets. If I didn’t have n+y (where y=1-too-many) vests I’d want a gilet.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@spyderjon, now there’s a recommendation for you.

Mrs U and I both have two jackets. If I didn’t have n+y (where y=1-too-many) vests I’d want a gilet.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy