Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Paris to Les Arcs via train

Poster: A snowHead
That's good news @LesMiz at least you know you get to have your ski holiday even if the return trip might still be a bit fraught.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@LesMiz, we had the same email from sncf about our train on 28/12 which did indeed run. Unfortunately we missed it as the RER was messed up so we didn't make the connection from the Eurostar. It was the last train going to Bourg St Maurice that day and next day was full up.

Changed our tickets to Lyon but then had to get an expensive taxi. A lesson learned.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@andy1234, it’s normally just two stops but how much time did you have to make the connection? I am keeping track. And wondering if pre-booking a taxi to cross Paris could be worth it.

Just hoping the strikes finish before I go
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We did similar though with Paris to Geneva and back on Dec 15th and 30th. Both SNCF trains we were originally booked on were cancelled. We got an email with 2 or 3 days notice in each case, and were able to find alternate trains that were running via the links in the cancellation email.

If you need to get across Paris I'd recommend pre-booking a taxi if you can. From Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon we took the Metro, though it tortuous as the RER D was not running south, so we needed an obscure route (RER E to St Lazare, then 14), with a lot of walking in between, and this took at least an hour with luggage. On the return we waited in the taxi queue, which took even longer (over an hour in the queue). Note that Parisian taxi drivers don't like ski bags, so if you have one and pre-book, make sure they are willing to take it
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Lucywuk, we always get line D and it usually takes 30 minutes. We had an hour between our Eurostar arrival and the tgv departure. Also made a mistake and ended up in hall 2 at gare de Lyon and train left from hall 1.

We got onto line B of the RER to Chatelet Les Halles after pushing our way onto a vey overcrowded train. Then tried to walk it and got a taxi when we saw there was no way to get there in time. Traffic was pretty bad so that was slow as well. A perfect storm of errors. Good luck!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@andy1234, yeah we’ve done the cross Paris route before we’ve got 90 mins. So I’ll keep my eye on the strikes and book a taxi if they are ongoing.

No ski bags luckily. Just case and small rucksack. Will stuff boot bags in the case I think.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can't speak to anything specific, but we're here in Paris currently and have been riding the metro and RER lines this week. The metro lines seen to be running about 90% but the city lines seemed really packed.

It seems like the railways are still a decent option, but it would be best if you have a little time to work with on your transfer.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
viv wrote:
We did similar though with Paris to Geneva and back on Dec 15th and 30th. Both SNCF trains we were originally booked on were cancelled. We got an email with 2 or 3 days notice in each case, and were able to find alternate trains that were running via the links in the cancellation email.

If you need to get across Paris I'd recommend pre-booking a taxi if you can. From Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon we took the Metro, though it tortuous as the RER D was not running south, so we needed an obscure route (RER E to St Lazare, then 14), with a lot of walking in between, and this took at least an hour with luggage. On the return we waited in the taxi queue, which took even longer (over an hour in the queue). Note that Parisian taxi drivers don't like ski bags, so if you have one and pre-book, make sure they are willing to take it

As I mentioned check on your phone to see how long a taxi is going to take. Only took me 30 mins to talk from Nord to Lyon. Basically a straight line all the way. Depends how much luggage you ahve.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@iainm, are you sure? It is 3 miles (and a bit further if you need the second hall at Gare du Lyon). I would struggle to walk that in 30 minutes, even without baggage and delays for crossing Paris traffic. Puzzled
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@LesMiz, did you get there OK?
My trains are showing today, so hoping they will be fine next Saturday. Just keeping an eye on the RER
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Lucywuk, @LesMiz, and anyone else:

20th Dec.
We walked from Gare du Nord to Chatelet with luggage: 30 mins.
The M14 - 1st stop from Chatelet is Gare du Lyon - is running without issue. It is driverless (a la DLR) and so is not affected.

28th Dec. we went the opposite direction, same route. We looked at other options (e.g. M5 to Gare de L'Est which is only 10 mins from Nord) but there was no clear information, so stuck with what we knew worked.

Total x- Paris time is about 50 mins.

Our SNCF trains were unaffected (although others were), albeit were scheduled to (and did) change at Chambery for the local chuff-chuff for the last leg. Don't rule out that as an option should you be unable to catch your original train - time difference is minimal.

Our Eurostar return was cancelled, with no further evening trains/seats available. Instead we got an SNCF to Lille (from Nord) €33 each, and E-star arranged for us to catch a Eurostar train starting out from Brussels.
As above, look at the websites, use DM on the Eurostar Twitter, and keep pushing.
Good Luck!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lucywuk wrote:
@LesMiz, did you get there OK?
My trains are showing today, so hoping they will be fine next Saturday. Just keeping an eye on the RER

@Lucywuk, yes we made it here successfully, I actually just got off the slopes Toofy Grin

Things in Paris were a bit dramatic though, Google maps directed us to the nearest metro station (which we had been using all week). But due to the strike they had shut down all metro lines for the day so we had to walk to Gare Du Nord. From there though it was pretty easy to get to Gare Lyon where we caught our train.

Also I probably wouldn't pay too much attention to the station protesters or unsettling announcements every 30 mins that any train could be cancelled at any time. We got there very early and saw a couple dozen trains depart without issue.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Be careful crossing Paris. we did it recently, and half our party missed Eurostar. That's with 2 hours to transfer.
RER had strikes, so buses were crammed, traffic was dire, and taxis wouldn't take skis.
In one case, there were protests blocking both the RER and the roads, and then they came into the station, along with the riot police.

I'd avoid Paris at the moment if at all possible.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BluesOnly, thanks for that. No choice for us on Saturday. I will keep an eye on all routes as general strike been called for Thursday so it’s difficult to know how it will be by Saturday.
No skis. Which helps.
If its looking like an issue I might try to prebook a taxi.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Lucywuk, honestly very easy to walk to Chatelet les Halles & get the M14 a DLR type train one stop ot Gare de Lyon.
OK, so no kids (well, an 18 yo so that doesn't count) but it was with full luggage count including boots and helmet on the way back.
latest report
@BluesOnly, I agree that Paris is a pain at the moment. If it's reasonably easy to bypass I would recommend that as well, but for those of us who have no choice it is manageable. Just plan accordingly where possible and move quickly elsewhere Blush
snow report
@Arctic Roll, yeah I know Paris pretty well. It’s 2 RER stops or as you say walk to Chatelet or even change there if needed.
snow conditions
All the stressing and plan B and plan C didn’t matter. Eurostar ran to time. Hopped on RER B for one stop. Changed platforms at Chatelet Les Halles and one stop RER A. The RER were quieter than last year. Took 40 mins to Gare De Lyon. Now picking up baguettes and waiting for our train to the slopes. Very Happy
latest report
@Lucywuk, glad to see the RER's are ( sort of) back and running south of Nord. My next Bourg journey is early March so hopefully everything is back in place by then!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy