Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Unexpectedly driving to Montgenevre next week

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

Any advice for driving down through France on Monday, to get to Montgenevre ?

My train has been cancelled so I’m going to drive down but I am not very happy about it and somewhat nervous about the whole thing.

I have all-season tyres- I think I need snow socks just in case. Can you buy them at service stations in France?

I don’t plan on driving so far ever again but do want to be safe on this trip.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to answer!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you describe what route you are planning to use then I'm sure people can suggest some supermarkets or auto service shops that won't require much of a detour. Fuel is cheaper at supermarkets too.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@forever beginner, I believe that you can get snowsocks from Halfords and can return them for a full refund if unused.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the snowsock tip but I’m starting in Belgium
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Check tread depth to ensure sufficient. If you’ve got time phone around to see if you can get some snow tyres at short notice as they will generally avoid need for snow chains for all but most severe conditions and come in use for rest of season in UK. Otherwise enjoy experience and it might become a regular thing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I just lost my reply- sorry if this ends up appearing twice....

So I’m starting my journey in Brussels, and according to google maps, I’ll go through Metz, Dijon and Lyon. Around 9.5/10 hours. I’m not very fast except on a quiet motorway so possibly more...

I was thinking of stopping overnight near Tournus/ Macon on the way there, which is estimated as 6 hours driving time.

On the return I’m thinking of skiing a half day then staying overnight near Lyon, maybe airport area.

It’s only me driving so I need to break the journey every 2/2.5 hours.

Any hotel suggestions? Play areas for children with acceptable food?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is there a standard tread depth ? I prefer not to get winter tyres as I will probably be selling the car soon.
But I don’t want to get stuck in snow either! That would make the skiing part of the trip even shorter...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@forever beginner, Where are you going after Lyon ? You may find that supermarket chains are cheaper than socks.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
After Lyon I’m hoping it’s a 3-4 hour drive to Montgenèvre. So if there is a big supermarket off the motorway I could get kitted out there?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wouldn't unduly spend time with concerns about driving there as it's not a difficult journey, just working through the mileage really.

This recently thread may help with hotel recommended by others to fit in with your schedule https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3467283&highlight=macon+hotel#3467283

Hopefully there won't be such numbers of traffic away from traditional weekend itinerary to make it a little more relaxed.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Check conditions of the Col de Lauteret (between Bourg d'oisans and Briancon) if you are planning to come that way. It is closed atm and at 2100m it is always a risk. Diversion via Gap is lengthy.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The route seems to take Chambery, Modane and Oulx, La Claviere.

Does google maps give a good result usually?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That takes you into Italy and back into France.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hello
Based on a couple of decades of driving quite a fair bit
500-600 miles is OK in a day for one driver with a couple of brief stops. More than that or bad weather then you might be pushing it.
Don't get hung up on a route, switch as needed.
Buy what ever you need in the UK. Halford might be more expensive, but at least you can find them easily and buy a big bottle of screen wash at same time and they'll change those worm out wipers / old battery at same time.
Snowshoes will get you going through snow...drive on the tarmac, they'll fall apart, fast.
Use the toll roads.. Not cheap...but skiing is not either.
Enjoy
Pack a flask of coffee..no pesky airport rules when you drive
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We have driven to montgenevre a few times. With one driver I would suggest an overnight stop en route. You do not need to go through the centre of Lyon. Take the a39 from Dijon and then the road that passes near Lyon airport followed by chambery modane frejus tunnel and oulx. For the Frejus tunnel you can get a cheaper return ticket in advance through the resort. I would do a supermarket shop at Intermarche in modane. That is the last sizeable supermarket on the route. Check if snow socks are legal? I think it is better to buy chains in advance and practice fitting them. You can get fairly cheap ones for most cars.
Snow looks good in montgenevre am sure you will have a great time.
latest report
You guys are great! I really appreciate your advice, thank you Very Happy
ski holidays
@snowymum, have you got any more information on the cheaper ticket for the Frejus tunnel? Like where to get it from, is it the tourism office?
We are visiting some friends who are going to Montgenevre and will have to drive down the Maurienne valley and then through the tunnel.
snow conditions
@andy1234, we have either got the cheap frejus tunnel pass through the lift pass office in Montgenevre or the tour operator we used Peak Retreats. I recall that the time we purchased the pass through the resort I selected it at the same time as buying a lift pass online and received the lift passes and tunnel ticket in the post. If the op. Needs the ticket quickly probably best to phone the lift pass office and find out if they can email the tunnel ticket.
snow conditions
rnick wrote:

Buy what ever you need in the UK.

Snowshoes will get you going through snow...drive on the tarmac, they'll fall apart, fast.

The OP is starting his/her trip in Belgium. wink

Snowshoes on wheels? Puzzled Toofy Grin
snow conditions
forever beginner wrote:
The route seems to take Chambery, Modane and Oulx, La Claviere.

Does google maps give a good result usually?

Going through the tunnel is much easier than the Lauteret, the road up to Montgenevre on the Italian side has easier gradients. The tunnel is eyewateringly expensive and watch the return date as over 7 days it is even more expensive. As said above, see if you can get a cheaper ticket.

Your problem areas if the weather is bad is just before Beaune or Dijon depending on your route through France and between Lyon and Chambery. You can stop at Chamnord just after the Lyon->Chambery peage to get chains at Carrefour. The drive down from the Italian side of the Frejus is steep but it is an autoroute so they should be keeping it clear. With all seasons all should be good depending on their condition.

I wouldn't worry or overthink things.
snow report
Good morning Smile

I found a snow chain sharing website (roadtosnow.com) so I have some chains- and I got a free demo. Now I just need to practice...

I just called the ski pass office in Montgenevre and the reduced price tunnel pass is for people buying two 6-day lift passes. Because of the unexpected drive our skiing days are down to 4.5. so that doesn’t work for me.

I am buying the ski passes for the first few days though, a little saving there.

For the drive down I have been told to go via Valenciennes and Reims as the road is quieter with higher speed limits than the Luxembourg - Metz route. Then from Dijon I will take the A39.

Any experience of the D 1075 ? On another post someone recommended that, instead of going past Lyon airport.

On the way home it will be Sunday afternoon and the skiers from Lyon will be leaving the mountains too I imagine. I don’t want to miss yet another day of skiing by leaving early on Sunday, any idea when rush hour is for setting off on Sundays?

I’ve booked to stop over in Dole on the way down- will report back after.
snow conditions
Oops, cross post.

I was checking tyre pressure yesterday and ended up changing my front tyres as they looked worryingly old suddenly.

Overthinking and worrying? What gave you that impression?! Laughing

Thanks a lot to everyone who has posted, I’m worrying a lot less after all your help Smile And started to look forward to a ski road trip Smile
ski holidays
Oops, cross post.

I was checking tyre pressure yesterday and ended up changing my front tyres as they looked worryingly old suddenly.

Overthinking and worrying? What gave you that impression?! Laughing

Thanks a lot to everyone who has posted, I’m worrying a lot less after all your help Smile And started to look forward to a ski road trip Smile
ski holidays
forever beginner wrote:

For the drive down I have been told to go via Valenciennes and Reims as the road is quieter with higher speed limits than the Luxembourg - Metz route. Then from Dijon I will take the A39.

Any experience of the D 1075 ? On another post someone recommended that, instead of going past Lyon airport.

That looks good, don't know why Google suggests Luxembourg.

You could stop at Bourg en Bresse but that would still leave 3 hours driving the next day or go on to Chambery and stop there, lots of hotel options.

The D1075 is a bit of a drag, you may as well take the D1504 through the tunnel du chat which is a bit easier to drive on, I find.
latest report
@forever beginner, Dole is a lovely town you'll enjoy your stopover Smile

We would always opt for the route through the Tunnel du Chat, add "via Bellley" to your Google directions and it will show you the way. It's only 10 to 15 minutes longer and much, much nicer than going past the airport (that bit of motorway is always heaving!)
latest report
Another vote for the D1504 via Belley, Yenne and the Tunnel du Chat.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy