Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Andorra v Baqueira

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Alright Snawheids,

I've a flight booked to Barcelona on the 5th of January.

My primary plan is to drive to Baqueira and ski there for 5 days but I've just had the notion to explore Andorra - of which I know absolutely nothing and I'm looking for some advice.

Of the big resorts in Andorra, which offers the best skiing? I'm a decent enough piste skier, reds and blacks, and I do not venture off piste.

As I'll be solo, I'm not fussed about apres. I do like to eat well though so really I'm looking for the place with the best skiing and the best restaurants.

Could anyone offer their opinion on how the skiing in Andorra compares to Baqueira?

Any advice is much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why not try for a few days? GV has enough to choose from.
Can’t help much with the eating other than there’s a damn good meat grill in El Tarter. It’s not often I eat a steak and seriously consider ordering a second one, but they scored.
Haven’t been to Bacqueira, sorry.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Andorra only has one big ski area, which is Grandvalira.

Grandvalira vs Baqueira is a topic which does endless rounds on the Spanish ski forums; there isn't really a right answer for piste skiers. Granvalira bashes the pistas much more heavily than Baquiera, but Baqueira (to me) feels more mountainous.

The Val d'Aran is famous for its restaurants and good food; but good food can also be easily had in Andorra. On the mountain, however, neither ski area (nor any in the Spanish and Andorran Pyrenees) impresses much [with one or two exceptions in each larger ski area]. I wonder whether dining alone in the Val d'Aran would somehow feel a bit more lonely than doing so in Andorra... Andorra is more accustomed to non-local tourism than the Val d'Aran (although that appears to be changing).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
At this moment I'd say the snow and skiing is better in Baqueira.

Saying that we're in Grandvalira for Christmas, but that was booked a while ago with friends. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sean1967, Grandvalira doesn’t have many decent eating places on the mountain, they are mainly IMO poor quality burgers and pizzas etc, in resort Soldeu has some decent restaurants, it’s quite a lively village so may make you feel a bit “Billy no mates” if your on your own.
The skiing is good for on piste, the reds and blacks will be reasonably quiet, it has a lot of beginners, ski schools are good if you want a private lesson to brush up.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We have found some really nice eating places on the mountain in Grandvalira. The trick is to go upstairs in the mountain restaurants! A totally different vibe. At table service and a good selection of freshly cooked (or cooked to order) food. The food in the hotel in Grau Roig is wonderful too, as is the refuge at Lac de Pessons.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Andorra is certainly closer to BCN than Baqueira and doesn't involve mountain passes, best route is via Manresa, Berga & Cadi tunnel.

The shortest route to Baqueira via Tremp & Sort has the Bonaigua pass to enter the Val d'Aran. There is a longer alternative using the Vielha tunnel.

Baqueira is probably best approached using airports in France like Toulouse rather than Barcelona.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
luigi wrote:
Andorra is certainly closer to BCN than Baqueira and doesn't involve mountain passes, best route is via Manresa, Berga & Cadi tunnel.

The shortest route to Baqueira via Tremp & Sort has the Bonaigua pass to enter the Val d'Aran. There is a longer alternative using the Vielha tunnel.

Baqueira is probably best approached using airports in France like Toulouse rather than Barcelona.

Yes, Toulouse is closer but I booked Barcelona as I plan to go to Valencia after skiing and the car hire lets me collect in Barcelona and drop off in Valencia.

Thanks for all the opinions. Looking at the weather, unless something dramatic happens, I think I'll patch the Spanish plan and head to the Dolomites - plenty snow already and looking cold for the next 10 days. Manchester to Verona £18.99 on the 6th, a week later Bergamo to Valencia £22.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can't fault that plan!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sean1967 wrote:

Thanks for all the opinions. Looking at the weather, unless something dramatic happens, I think I'll patch the Spanish plan and head to the Dolomites - plenty snow already and looking cold for the next 10 days. Manchester to Verona £18.99 on the 6th, a week later Bergamo to Valencia £22.

You won't regret choosing the Dolomites...unless you're a boarder!! snowHead

Val di Fassa is a great spot easily reached from Verona, probably about 600km of skiing accessible from the various liftbases along the valley.

I've stayed in Canazei which is convenient for the Sella Ronda circuit, but with a car I've found it's cheaper to stay mid-valley, say Pozza/Vigo/Soraga/Moena, and commute to the lifts.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
luigi wrote:
sean1967 wrote:

You won't regret choosing the Dolomites...unless you're a boarder!! snowHead

Val di Fassa is a great spot easily reached from Verona, probably about 600km of skiing accessible from the various liftbases along the valley.

I've stayed in Canazei which is convenient for the Sella Ronda circuit, but with a car I've found it's cheaper to stay mid-valley, say Pozza/Vigo/Soraga/Moena, and commute to the lifts.

I've been to Selva a few times and I think I'll head back there.

I'd like to go to Canzei as I like the Val di Fassa stuff and the quick access to the Marmolada but its a ballache to get to Canazei on public transport. I'm flying solo and it's so easy to get to Selva on public transport from Verona.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sean1967 wrote:

I've been to Selva a few times and I think I'll head back there.

I'd like to go to Canzei as I like the Val di Fassa stuff and the quick access to the Marmolada but its a ballache to get to Canazei on public transport. I'm flying solo and it's so easy to get to Selva on public transport from Verona.

Sounds like a plan and you know what you're doing! wink

Selva has a special place in my heart too, I learned to ski there many moons ago. snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy