Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing after Pneumothorax/Surgery recovery

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

This year I've ended up having my right lung spontaneously collapse a couple of times. Due to the reoccurence, I've been advised to have a VATS bullectomy and pleurectomy which supposedly vastly reduces the chance of reoccurence. I'll be going in for the operation on Dec 30th, surgeon has said no flying or skiing for at least 6 weeks after resolution. Also, this is not really relevant but apparently I can never scuba dive due to the pressure which I thought was interesting.

I'm wondering if anyone else has gone through something similar and how their recovery went?

I'm hoping I'll still be able to get a late season trip in but I suppose I should wait until I see how I'm feeling a few weeks after before trying to book anything.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jiiiiiiim, I have no idea about your medical condition but it sounds serious enough that you may have trouble getting an insurance company to cover you for a trip so close to the operation. Good luck with the operation and your recovery.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. Good point, I hadn't thought about the insurance implications. I'll definitely be sticking to the minimum 6 weeks, was more wondering if anyone had experience with skiing 2 or 3 months after something like this. I'm sure the best thing to do is to wait and see but I'm so impatient Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jiiiiiiim, I think you will only know when you are post-surgery. I recently had major cardiac surgery and emerged with a brilliant result and, effectively, a completely clean bill of health at my discharge consultation 6 weeks post-op. Skiing will therefore not be a problem (yes, insurance disclosure will have to be made) but I have no illusion that it could all have gone less well. Every person and every case is different, so I think you need to wait before making any decisions. Best of luck for the op and here's to you being on the slopes again very soon. Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hurtle, congrats on your recovery! It is good to hear those success stories. You're right not much I can do other than see how I'm feeling and what the docs say during recovery.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Many years ago, I had a spontaneous pneumothorax, but a chest drain and hospital stay for a week did the trick, so no further surgery.

You may feel that fitness drops a little during the recovery period, but I'd say a late season trip would be just the thing to look forward too.

As ever, take notice of the med staff, and ensure insurer is notified.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Had cardiac bypass and valve replacement surgery five years ago at the start of December. Six weeks before anything strenuous, yes, but with a sternum to mend properly skiing was out for the season (you don't want to think about what a ground impact from a slip at speed could do to your chest...). I was cycling regularly before the op (keep up the exercise now to minimise recovery time) and was back home within five days. Back at work full time six weeks after op. Back on the munros within four months, and the bike shortly after - you have to think about possible impacts after open chest surgery, not just how strenuous something is.
The good news was our first trip to Tignes was 13 months after surgery, and I was skiing from the top of the glacier which I was pretty chuffed about.
Basics: remember the dangers of impact, keep up with the pre- post-op exercise regimes, yes do more if you are able (I cycled 7 miles to the post-op exercise classes just a few months after surgery - along the flat, but definitely doing more than the rest of the class), but don't overdo things. Regular exercise counts more than doing harder stuff, certainly at the start.
Best of luck, and see you on the slopes.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@MSG101, interesting. At my 6 week check-up (including chest x-ray) post-surgery, my surgeon said that my sternum was healed and he was happy for me to ski.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Hurtle, I'm not saying doctors err on the cautious side, but maybe in my case they decided to play safer than safe.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Working closely with some special thoracic surgeons we have in the NHS and having witnessed the magic they perform daily you may be surprised on your recovery.

They can take out parts of lungs laparoscopically these days. I’m fairly sure bullectomy is a minimally invasive procedure as well. In our trust length of stay for this procedure can be very short 1-2 days.

Best of luck with your surgery/recovery and most importantly skiing!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@SHAP, That's where I was at last week, 3 days in hospital with a chest drain but since this is my second one this year the chances of them continually reoccurring are apparently quite high so they are recommending surgery to prevent them from coming back.

Glad you were able to get back on the slopes after your surgery @MSG101. I suppose even if I miss this whole season it's not the end of the world. Good point about the risk of impact, might be better to stick to some less risky activities for a few months!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jiiiiiiim, Shame you had to cancel the BB. Good luck with the surgery and a speedy recovery
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@brianatab, Thank you. Should just be a minor detour on my way to a good season next year!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy