Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

CERVINIA to Zermatt Rothorn/Findeln

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I’ve been to CERVINIA before but was unable to venture into Zermatt much due to my lad being in ski school. He’s come on a lot and returning or new year and rather than put him in ski school am going to get some private lessons, anyway that opens up more time to explore the Zermatt side. One thing that’s caught my eye is some of the food places for lunch in Findeln. I wonder if someone could cast their eyes over my planned route and advise how doable it is for a couple of immediates, he can manage the steeper reds but has to take it a bit slower. Assume good weather.

First lifts out of CERVINIA at 8:30 - 08:45
Theodulpass for 9:30
Blue 73 to Trockener Steg then red 66 to the Matterhorn express lift near to furg. Get lift up to Schwarzee and then red 51 or 52 to Furi (don’t think he’s up to the black from Furgg to Furi)
Riffelberg express from Furi then Gifthittli chair then red 29/28/26 to Gant.
Chairlift from Gant to Blauherd then cable car to Rothorn.
Red 11 and blue 7 back to Sunegga then blue 6 to Findeln.

Would that have me at Findeln by say midday to 12:30? An hour or so for lunch.

Route back,

Eja chair then red 26 down to Gant, cable car to Hohtalli.
Red 44 then 35 to Riffelburg then back down to Furi before heading back up to Trockener Steg aiming to be at the top of Klein Matterhorn for 15:30 for the trip back down into CERVINIA.

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Theodulpass crossing from Cervinia to Zermatt involves a narrow bendy stretch on which it can be challenging to keep speed under control and there is no bail-out. This can really spook beginners and anyone without much of a head for heights. Suggest you try it yourself first on a previous day to see if you think your son can cope with it
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Raptor23, There are others on here with more in-depth knowledge of the Zermatt pistes, being "locals" and I'm sure they will advise. My own thoughts are that the outbound route sounds eminently feasible in the time available subject to the point in my previous post. Depending on snow conditions, there is often a "bypass" as you approach Trockener Steg on skiers left that avoids going up to the lift station and then down again. If he can manage steeper reds then he should be fine on 69/70 as alternatives down to Furgg. The runs from Schwarzee down to Furi are great but end with quite a long flat stretch that needs poling even if you have gained a bit of speed beforehand. Again, if you are able I would do a scouting trip the day before to familiarise yourself with where you need to start the Schuss. The bit on Gornergrat is ok and you could shorten it by missing out the top of Rothorn if time was tight by then. NB you should book the restaurants as they will be busy that time of year and book up well in advance.
The return timings should also work, but the top of Hohtalli can be a bit intimidating for a beginner - a bit narrow and steep in parts. Also the bit down from Riffelberg to Furi can be mayhem towards the end of the day.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you want to save a bit of time on the way out you can jump on the bubble lift at Furgg down to Furi, lots do. From memory the top part of where you get to 51/52 is nice and as close to the Matterhorn as you can get, but the rest is a slow, if pleasant, cat track
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Raptor23, if short of time, you can cut the Rothorn cable car, and go straight down to Findeln from Blauherd. From lunch your route looks fine. I'm a risk averse sort of guy, so I would want to be away from lunch at 1.30pm, and don't dilly dally en-route. Plenty of skiing in Cervinia, if you make good time! I would think you could make Findeln in two hours from Theodulpass without speed records being broken. 12 noon booking therefore. Suggest Findlerhof as my favourite in Findeln. Do book though!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@twoodwar, +1 for Findlerhof
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy