Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids ski mittens - Reusch or Hestra ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,
We’re going to La Plagne New year week and boy needs new gloves (9yo). Want to go for mittens as he gets very cold hands. Looking at Reusch and Hestra. Any recomendations? We’ve tried cheaper before and they just get wet/ he gets cold! Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No specific recommendations for a particular brand but I would definitely buy at least a couple of pairs of liners for him (Decathlon are fine). They wick moisture away from the hands and are quick to dry at lunchtime. It is also easy to stick a pair in your pocket to swap if things get really dire. With main gloves or mitts, try to get some which are easy to turn inside out!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We got Hestra gloves for my 6 year old and they have been brilliant. Bought in resort after cold hands and no more complaints despite the tough conditions.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Personally I’d go with Hestra. I have the mitts and love them.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hestra make great gloves but they are very expensive. My son (now 10) has had his for 2 seasons so far and they still fit. They are perfect in every way - warm with the liners, cool without them, excellent wrist leashes, long enough to keep snow out at the wrist. I’m glad I got them, but I suspect similar gloves do nearly as well for much less money.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My toddler has had Reusch the last couple of years as I like how they unzip to get the hand in. Probably not an issue for a 9yo. No complaints about the mittens. Didriksons might also be worth looking at.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have hestra and my son has them too. He is 9 too. Just bought the next size up having toyed with other brands but decided to go with what we knew. We are off to Norway for Xmas so over mittens too
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Go for whatever you can get cheapest.

Keep an eye in TK Maxx, who do Reusch - an XXS may fit.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+ 1 for what @Klamm Franzer, said. I found silk liners and then just a mid-price range was a better option. With spare gloves for playing out.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PM me if you might be interested in a barely used pair of Black Diamond gloves that would be about right for him & they also have a pouch for a heat pad. Our boys grew out of them before they had the chance to be used more than a couple of times. £30 to you. We replaced them with Hestra Guide gloves.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hestra every time
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Reusch, imv, had a rep back in the day for nice leather race gloves.

Which is not what you need.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Lucyk, brrrrr....La Plagne and Les Arcs can be very cold when the wind gets up.

The Black Diamond guide gloves above are A Good Thing. Why? Because they are designed for proper guide use, we used them for a season and then handed two pairs to McKenzie (one pair unused), and since they were over 120gbp new, they are a top range glove, as good as Hestra. We have used both extensively with young ones, and at 30.00 you cannot go wrong (as long as they fit).

But let's think a minute...cold hands can occur for a number of reasons - inactivity (not moving enough in the cold); lack of insulation around the torso (chest and neck); and kids' clothes which are too large (causing a draft through the clothes bottom to top).

The remedy for cold hands is not always good gloves - although we always had the very best gloves for our two from infancy on the hill and a spare pair in my pack for when the first pair got damp. The most common reason is inadequate insulation around the chest and neck. Layer up with good thermal base layers. Long sleeved Merino or synthetic (no cotton mix ever) base layer on top and long termals on legs, long sleeve micro-fleece over that; or deep pile fleece if very cold. A jacket with a snow gaiter stops draughts, and a micro-fleece or micro-fibre neckie stops draughts at the neck. This allows the warm air to build up inside the jacket. Important. Then you get warm hands, since the heart thinks everything is warm and cosy in the world, and sends blood down to the hands. Get a good helmet where you can shut off the ventilation when it is snowing or very cold.

Yep, good gloves, but good gloves don't keep hands warm if the body shuts down the blood supply because the rest of the body is experiencing a chill. Get those XS Black Diamond gloves from McKenzie for sure. And drop me a PM if you need thermals or jackets, we have the usual pile of top kit which is too small for our two and we keep for relatives, but we can send on some of it if needed.....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And tea bag hand warmers....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy