Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with Chronic Fatigue - experiences ?

Poster: A snowHead
So it’s looking like i’m (and wife and daughter as a a result) Going to miss a 3rd year of (family) skiing - I’ve had what has now been diagnosed as chronic fatigue (and some other stuff) . This basically means (amongst other stuff) that I get knackered really easily, and have difficulty even walking upstairs without getting tired. I get amazingly tired at short notice. And I have to take a lot of rest. My only exercise these days involves food shopping, or the odd 30 to 45 min slow walk, and that will tire me out. Travelling is quite tiring too! And some other stuff.

A search on here suggests a few of us or our partners have had similar. What have been your experiences of skiing with chronic fatigue ! I’d be tempted to give it a go, but am worried that just walking and carrying skis in boots will knock me out before I even get to the slope! And if fatigue hits me half way down a slope whether I’ll just cause an accident. Haven’t even thought about what insurance company would say in that event.

I really miss it. And miss the mountains - we’ve been to Chamonix and Saalbach the past 2 summers where I could do some gentle walking, but I miss the snow

Any experiences ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No personal experience, although my niece has had much of her education disrupted by chronic fatigue etc. She's 18 now and taking one GCSE at a time. Why don't you book a winter spa holiday in a ski resort instead of a ski trip? Plan to just relax in the spa and chill out in the mountains, maybe joining skiers for lunch. If you then feel up to skiing, do a couple of very gentle runs to see how it feels before committing to more. My sympathies, it can be a difficult thing to recover from.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ooooh, that’s a nice idea !!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sev112, no experience of this, but I wonder if choosing ski in/out accommodation might enable you to use your energy reserves on the actual skiing, rather than all the faffing around such as walking in boots and carrying skis which many people find very tiring? I'd guess that stepping outside your accommodation and clicking in to your skis for a gentle slide down to the nearest chairlift will tax you far less than walking 300m before you get to slide down the hill?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks rob - nice idea
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You also might consider an area, where the individual resorts are linked by bus - so you could ski to one and bus back, if necessary.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Similar thoughts to above, for you vacation and just see how you feel, but let the others have the convenience to ski easily also.

A specific recommendation, Hotel Le Totem, located in Flaine Forum. It literally has a level ski in / out of the boot room, located right in the middle of everything going on too.

It wouldn't matter if you ski or not, and so remove that pressure completely from the outlook. But if you do, then very gentle slopes available right outside the door, you don't have to travel anywhere to experience how you feel.

If the others ski, it still leaves you located on the slopes without leaving the hotel. Also the immediately surrounding "Forum" area is lined with café to meet for lunch and sit out in the sun for coffee etc.

Further, and on the same level about 50 mtrs away, is access to the principal gondola lift straight to the top of ski area, with return via same if you don't ski. Café at the top too.

This offers a great mix to all be there together and just appreciate how you get on without extensive demand on you while there. relatively short transfer from Geneva too.
The whole may offer your family all you need to achieve the individual elements along with not putting you into a negative situation.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sev112, my wife doesn't have chronic fatigue syndrome, but various complex medical issues that give a similar outcome. She doesn't ski any more, but when she did, what worked for us was absolutely minimising effort getting to & from the slopes. Ideally, true ski in ski out (with very easy/gentle route back, for when she was tired) on a short gentle run with a chairlift. That meant she could try, and if it felt good we might go further, but equally she could head back if she just felt tired. Also, try to avoid walking any distance in ski boots, especially in soft or uneven snow. If we had a walk to the slopes, even just 50m, then my wife would walk in her normal snow boots and I'd carry her kit. She'd then swap to ski boots at the side of the piste and I'd run her boots back to where we were staying.
With careful choice of location, accommodation and a lot of patience, it's possible.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you can't ski in and out, choose somewhere with lockers at the lift station.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have health issues that cause debilitating fatigue - although not to the level you describe. We always book ski in ski out. In fact last time we could ski to the actual balcony of our apartment.
We also try to stick with resorts where every run we do could lead back to the apartment. I got stuck one year when we were skiing between different areas/valleys and really struggled to get back.
We also self cater as if I want to go to bed while everyone is eating tea it’s a bit easier. Actually, I can be in bed all the time if I want with the size of the apartments we book (tiny!) and still be part of the holiday!

I’m liking the sound of the spa break too!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all
Just some simple thoughts like that are really helpful
Ski in ski out is something we’ve never done, but it is perfect. You are right, the thought of tramping anywhere in boots is what I dread. Historically it has often involved carrying my daughters’ skis as well, but she’s 16 now so that can stop Smile
And the idea if close lifts and variety of close slopes plus cafes and spa is good.
Ok, Christmas holiday spent looking at late season deals
Thanks all
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have lived with chronic fatigue from chronic glandular fever for over 10 years. Lucky enough to spend most of the ski season at our chalet near pds. The way I have personally found the best way to think about it is that you have a finite packet of energy each day. How you choose to use it is up to you. It maybe a day travelling or a short burst of skiing but then be prepared to write off the rest of the day. I go through phases from just about being able to get out of bed up to approx 1 hour of moderate exercise. But be careful some days you just try and it does not work.

The key for me is not making arrangements with other people you can not easily break / change. You need to be selfish in some ways and listen to your body. Always have an easy way to get back home / place you are staying. Above comments re ski in ski out make sense but do not over commit.

Very hard for people around you to understand. My favourite winter sport is rando skiing. Before my illness i would easily climb 1000m vertical. On a good day I can now do 100m vertical and then just come to a juddering stop. The feeling is not like being tired when you are fit, it is like somebody has just turned off the energy tap. Resting does no good and even eating does not replace the energy that day. I just have to ski down and rest for the rest of the day. Personally I do not find skiing down very taxing. But everyone will be different especially in terms of total energy.

People who have had flu will understand the feeling of lack of energy and it is due to the same cell mechanisms.

Chronic fatigue covers a wide range of problems and this is only my personal story. However if anyone wants to chat then please direct message me.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As an example, worth a look on g..gle maps for Hotel Le Totem, switch to satallite view to see the relative position regarding lifts etc.

The hotel has a balcony you can sit out on overlooking the slope, the "pre" lift seen there is effectively a nursery progressing area to tempt you, with the main lift adjacent.

There really is no travelling at all there as ski locker door is lower right hand corner of that building.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A long time ago doctors thought I had chronic fatigue, after months of complaining and a battery of tests they diagnosed Addison's Disease. Once on the meds I was back to normal in days an have been fine ever since. Unlikely to be your problem but it's rare so most GPs never see a patient with it let alone have to diagnose it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Historically it has often involved carrying my daughters’ skis as well, but she’s 16 now so that can stop

She can definitely carry yours!

The spa idea is very good - think of a holiday in the snowy mountains, rather than a ski holiday.
snow conditions
Two thoughts - if you fancy a spa resort that’s a nice place to stay then Bad Hofgastein would be my recommendation. If yo want real ski in/out the I d got to Powder n Shine in Reberty.
snow conditions
@pateman
You describe fatigue very well. The energy level just suddenly stop, there is no more:)
Few years back I used to cycle all over the place for hours, looking for hills to climb up. Would be absolutely knackered when I got back, but I could still do something.
What you say resonates very much.
Thanks again for everyones’ suggestions
snow conditions
@sev112, Bit late to this party, but I have CFS/ME. It's mild now, so I can ski. Some ideas. Do everything possible to minimise energy usage. If someone else can do something let them. Don't worry about starting late, having coffee and a long lunch and finishing early, because if that's what you have to do to ski then so what. Enjoy what you can do, and try not to regret what you can no longer. Even skiing a green run is still skiing. I find resting after breakfast, but before skiing helps. And, yes I'm the guy how may not show up.

On the other side, the first time I got back on skis was marvellous Toofy Grin
latest report
no idea on the skiing with CF, and I wish you all the best for a recovery. From what I've listened to on podcasts with athletes having CF, rest, rest and more rest seem to be key, as does listening to what your body is telling you what is possible.

For me skiing helps me recharge my batteries, both mentally ( as cannot think about work ) and physically as it's not very demanding unless skinning!

I can recommend staying here! An elevator to/from the piste should cut down any fatigue getting onto the slopes, and has a lovely spa and restaurant, inc outdoor area for sitting outside with warm blankets etc for spring skiing! They will do you a decent deal if you ask for one with lift passes etc and miss their busy periods.

https://www.hubertushof-arlberg.at/en/
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, my daughter is in exactly the same position, she was the most athletic girl I knew at the age of 13, she skied every year, played all sports going and was a goalkeeper at Newcastle United. After she had the HPV vaccine at school she started to get sick and after several weeks in hospital she was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue and POTS. She hasn’t been to school since January 15, she has taken one GSCE per year having received schooling at home.
She is now doing her a levels using a online school something similar to Skype and still wants to do medicine. If your niece wants to talk to somebody in a similar situation let me know. There is a possibility they may know each other already from one of the support groups.
I always try and explain CF using the rechargeable battery analogy, using all the charge and then trying to recharge at a trickle rate which may not get full before you use it again, eventually you it isn't charged enough and won’t work at all for a few days until it can hold a charge and is full.
It’s horrible as there is nothing you can do.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy