Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Repair or scrap

Poster: A snowHead

Soooooo my old skis, repairable or junk?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never had a gouge that deep in my skis. Ptex will cover it after cleaning it with wax remover. Bit of rust too, did you not dry your skis before storage?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bigtipper, they got used by one of my lads a few years back when conditions weren’t great. Then thrown in garage

I was boarding at time but want to go back to skiing. Happy to rent but if these are salvageable then seems worth it
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Boris, looks like they are very well used anyway, and not much material to attach to. maybe worth a try, but maybe a hopeless endeavour.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Boris, whack some epoxy in the core shot and go ride them -

this is an epoxy repair to some old touring skis which I still use for local scratching around on the odd occasion we have snow in the uk
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That's a straightforward repair for any decent shop, especially as there's no edge damage.

Here's a before and after pic of one I did. The after pic is not fully finished as I then used a Base Doc welder around the perimeter of the patch and restructured with some appropriate grade grit paper. Then a hot wax. And no base grind needed Toofy Grin

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@spyderjon, impressed.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@spyderjon, thank you that’s good to know.

Any space in your workshop before Xmas???
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That is nice job, I would probably get a new pair if I did that level of damage. I guess it depends on the age of the ski, and mine are quite old but rarely badly damaged.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No damage to the edges or the ski structure = easy repair. If you like your skis, keep them.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Araraldite
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gees, why not treat yourself to some new ones or hire a decent pair. You only live once!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Gyro, good question - simple answer cost.

New ones £400ish? repair - £150 ish? Rental £100ish - ok rental is cheaper, but if I can get a few more years out of them then result.

As a decidedly mediocre once a year skier buying another pair I would struggle to justify new
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ahh, apologies, I understand.
I was in the same situation. I often mangled my gear taking it places it wasn’t built for....rocks etc. I did my own fairly substantial repairs which would generally get me through a week. I had to throw the towel in though after ripping an edge off. Yours does look repairable, as the edge seems intact. Check out YouTube for repairs, I found a ton of great videos which taught me a lot.
Good luck with it!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Gyro, Actually just went looking for hire deals, and managed to hire a pair for €80 for week. So no brainer really.

Maybe next year when I have more time - the repair shops I spoke to said would be touch and go as to whether they could fix for 2-weeks time.
latest report
Boris wrote:
@spyderjon,.....Any space in your workshop before Xmas???

Yep. Current turnaround is about a week. All our repair/servicing work is done Tues/Wed/Thurs and I'm closed on Suns/Mons so skis/boards need to be in by close of business on a Sat to get in the following weeks work ready to collect on the following Fri/Sat.

To keep the cost down I'd just go with a metal grip/p-tex core shot base weld rather than a patch repair, followed by welded repairs on the gouges running in to the edges plus an edge'n'wax. So assuming the other ski is free of core shots and doesn't need too many welds then that'd be £45. The base structure looks good so they'll only need a grind if excessively concave, which'd add another £15. From what I can see in the pic the p-tex still has good thickness to it to allow a base grind if necessary.
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
I'm closed on Suns/Mons

Slacker! NehNeh
snow report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
I'm closed on Suns/Mons

Slacker! NehNeh

Don't worry I'm still working but I need some peace'n'quiet when doing Quiver Killer installations!
snow report
@spyderjon, safe to say other ski has a couple of similar size holes in base, in middle of ski rather than edge though Embarassed

Will drop you a PM as, by chance, I'm passing by your way Thursday on way up to Lincoln.
snow conditions
@Boris, a detour to me is easy if you're en route to Lincoln. How long are you going to be there for?
latest report
@spyderjon, about 3 hours!!!!
snow report
@Boris, PM sent
snow conditions
@Boris, unless you can do repair yourself (which is what I'd do) would you not be better off to consider a decent second hand pair, unless you're skiing something very high level or unusual length etc. there's plenty of good stuff around for not much over £100
ski holidays
Managed to do a bodgeitandscarper job on Boris' skis. It's really just palliative care to get a week or two out of them versus renting etc as the bases turned out to be a pretty thin in places and the tails are delam'ing etc.

Before:

After:

snow report
@spyderjon, tip top job, nice one.
latest report
@spyderjon, Fantastic job and thank you for turning them around so quickly for me today. Last time I lend them to one of the boys!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy