Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan - where to go - solo

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Looks like i can can off to japan around second week of January and will be alone.

Never been skiing there before and i have access to travel from Narita, Nagoya or Kansai.

Im definitely more recreational so, long winding slopes are my thing.

Can anyone recommend me a good location, which airport, transfers, ski rental & accommodation please

Thanks in anticipation

Gaz
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it’s your first time in Japan and you are looking for long piste runs easy access from Tokyo have a look at Hakuba, Shiga Kogen and Naeba. The mains TOs (ski plan etc) should have deals to these locations if you don’t want to DIY. Quickest way is often train, simplest but longer way via direct bus from airport
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply.

I suppose I could take a flight up to Sapporo from Narita, it’s what? 2hrs max by air?
I’ll know in 2 days what dates I’ll be looking at.

Happy to book individual/DIY but if there’s a good package I’m happy to do that also.

Preference would be accommodation on a resort and not have to bus it each day.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Myself I go to Shiga Kogen this year. I think it would be a good place for you - it is not nessesary to go to Hokkaido - if you are not there for the very fine powder.

But you are a bit late for booking places to stay - google maps can easy show places.

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/shiga-kogen-2019-2020.86082/

You could also choose Nozawa Onsen for the culture.

http://www.nozawaski.com/en/
https://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/nozawa-onsen
https://nozawakanko.jp/en/

Both easy to go to. Narita or Haneda would be good to fly in, and Shinkansen to Nagano (for Shiga Kogen) og Iiyama (for Nozawa), with both direct bus up to the two resorts.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Excellent, cheers
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@r1flyguy, Zao Onsen is nice small town, easy to get to from Tokyo, with lifts close by. Still has a very authentic Japanese feel.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@r1flyguy, Welcome to snowheads.

I did a trip to Shiga Kogen last year and think it would fit the bill. Shinkansen Tokyo-Nagano and then local bus. All DIY. It helped that my son speaks Japanese but I think you could manage without.

Trip report here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=142632
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd suggest Hakuba Valley , partially because of the direct bus transfer options from Narita, but also because if you stay in the centre near Happo-one, you have very good ski bus connections to the various other resorts. At least that was the case when I went 5 years ago and I have no reason to think that would have changed for the worse.

It's a popular area with Aussies / Kiwis, and there are hostels which might suit you as you're travelling on your own.

I think we got a day pass at whichever area we went to each day.

You could also check out Japan Powder Culture Tours if you instead wanted guiding / some instruction. You're more likely to then be taken to places like Shiga Kogen. I did 5 days off-piste with Jason's company the same year.

All depends on what your budget is really.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jebroni3_16 wrote:
I'd suggest Hakuba Valley , partially because of the direct bus transfer options from Narita, but also because if you stay in the centre near Happo-one, you have very good ski bus connections to the various other resorts. At least that was the case when I went 5 years ago and I have no reason to think that would have changed for the worse.

It's a popular area with Aussies / Kiwis, and there are hostels which might suit you as you're travelling on your own.

I think we got a day pass at whichever area we went to each day.

You could also check out Japan Powder Culture Tours if you instead wanted guiding / some instruction. You're more likely to then be taken to places like Shiga Kogen. I did 5 days off-piste with Jason's company the same year.

Is this not same guys? Not saying they aren't good, just be wary as seems other people have used them and weren't as impressed.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2698240

In answer to OP I'd personally find english speaking place (aussies) to stay from my hakuba experience and would agree to stay close to happo one centre if going to that resort..
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I went to Niseko last season. Might be another flight for you to get to the Hokkaido, but there were plenty of places for solo skier to stay. We stayed in Annupuri. Here's a link to our experience there - http://batterseaski.co.uk/night-skiing-in-niseko-annupuri/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mr thin wrote:
jebroni3_16 wrote:
... You could also check out Japan Powder Culture Tours if you instead wanted guiding / some instruction. You're more likely to then be taken to places like Shiga Kogen. I did 5 days off-piste with Jason's company the same year.

Is this not same guys? Not saying they aren't good, just be wary as seems other people have used them and weren't as impressed.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2698240

They are indeed the same company and by a strange coincidence, the incident detailed in the post you linked to occurred the day that I arrived to join them.

Whilst I obviously cannot comment on what happened that day, and I cannot deny that the training I received as far as transceivers were concerned was also limited, we were provided with shovels & probes whenever I went out, and the off-piste guiding I received as a snowboarder was primarily focused on working through tree-lined areas and felt very safe. Although you'd presumably hope so following immediately on from a tragic incident as the one mentioned.

However, as Bod, clearly has much more experience of guides / being guided, I would be inclined to bow to his more experienced judgement / opinion.

I'll leave my initial post as it is unless required / requested to edit it, so any subsequent readers of this thread can follow the discussion as it originally developed.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy