Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bardonecchia - short trip - talk to me

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

So after much searching (and very nearly booking Baqueira...next year)...I've booked for me and the OH to go to Bardonecchia. Got an Air BnB flat in the town for an amazing price and combined with the short transfer and cheap flights to Turin it just seemed like a no-brainer really for our 2nd fix of the season. (Heading to the Dolomites end of Jan first!)

We are heading out 1st March and skiing 4 days flying home Friday so will hopefully miss the weekend tourists from Turin and I think we are missing any school holidays.

So after some first hand knowledge really! Anywhere to aim for to eat/drink both off the mountain and on it?

Best place to rent a ski locker (and skis!)? Our flat does have a place to store skis but we don't fancy carting them around town so would rather deposit somewhere.

The plan is to ski 3 days between the Melezet and the Jafferau areas and then hop in the car for a blast in the Milky Way somewhere. Does the liftpass give a day anywhere else or and I'm guessing most probably will just have to buy 3 days for Bardonecchia and then a day wherever we decide to go. Will choose between Sauze and Montgenevre when there and where the snow is best!

Talking of snow....I know none of us have a Crystal ball but I assume generally at that time of year the pistes should be in at least average nick?

We are driving from Turin. From what I've read it's literally carriage way the whole journey so are snow tires needed or would chains suffice (if needed).

What are the prices in general about town and on the hill? As it's Italy (just) I assume it's probably better value for money at least for food and drink than some of the bigger French resorts for example?

Feel free to throw as much info at me as possible!

Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I did a last minute deal March 2019 with my 8 year old. There had been very mild conditions across the southern Alps, but snow held up well so I wouldn’t worry about that.

We stayed slopeside in the Rive H/B but ate in Harrolds a few nights too. The skiing was better in Melezet than Campi Smith. Overall very good value and empty pistes.

We had a bus transfer but just over 1 hr from airport on dual carriageway all the way. If it’s getting heavy in Campo Smith head to Jafferau.

Headed into town one night and it all feels a bit quiet but that was fine for me and 9 yr old.

Overall interesting little resort. I would go back.

Enjoy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I did a last minute deal March 2019 with my 8 year old. There had been very mild conditions across the southern Alps, but snow held up well so I wouldn’t worry about that.

We stayed slopeside in the Rive H/B but ate in Harrolds a few nights too. The skiing was better in Melezet than Campi Smith. Overall very good value and empty pistes.

We had a bus transfer but just over 1 hr from airport on dual carriageway all the way. If it’s getting heavy in Campo Smith head to Jafferau.

Headed into town one night and it all feels a bit quiet but that was fine for me and 9 yr old.

Enjoy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have skied in Bardonecchia twice, several years apart, the first time staying in some pretty basic apartments 10 minutes walk from Campo Smith base, and in Hotel Des Geneys the second time - about the same distance away, but a much better experience. Both trips, we took the bus to Jafferau for a change of scene and both times, the conditions were much better, with wide open uncrowded pistes. It’s a proper town with some nice restaurants, a couple of bars, but otherwise,not much Apres. Good option, I’d say, for a short break.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnboy wrote:

Enjoy

We aren't mad apres. Just enjoy a nice dinner. a friendly bar and a bottle of plonk.

Thanks for the thoughts
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Montana wrote:
Have skied in Bardonecchia twice, several years apart, the first time staying in some pretty basic apartments 10 minutes walk from Campo Smith base, and in Hotel Des Geneys the second time - about the same distance away, but a much better experience. Both trips, we took the bus to Jafferau for a change of scene and both times, the conditions were much better, with wide open uncrowded pistes. It’s a proper town with some nice restaurants, a couple of bars, but otherwise,not much Apres. Good option, I’d say, for a short break.

Thanks for the info!

How regular is the bus around town?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From memory, it just goes from the Campo Smith car park to the Jafferau car park, a journey of just a few minutes. Can’t help with the timetable I’m afraid, which, in any case, may vary. I’d suggest contacting the tourist office https://www.turismotorino.org/en for up-to-date info unless anyone else on here, has the answer
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can’t add too much to the above as my trip was a good 7 years ago now. But the two mountains complement each other nicely, with Campo Smith, wooded and more sheltered but Jafferau more open and exposed. When I was there the latter had better snow, but it sounds like this isn’t always the case.
The linking buses are very regular. When I was there, there was also a mini bus link to add to the ski bus, which went there directly.
Looking at your schedule, I think it’s ideal for that area 3-4 days is perfect, with, as you mention, the option to explore the Milky Way.
It was also one of the cheapest ski resorts I have been to, but still with plenty of quality restaurants. Enjoy!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
EdYarker wrote:
Can’t add too much to the above as my trip was a good 7 years ago now. But the two mountains complement each other nicely, with Campo Smith, wooded and more sheltered but Jafferau more open and exposed. When I was there the latter had better snow, but it sounds like this isn’t always the case.
The linking buses are very regular. When I was there, there was also a mini bus link to add to the ski bus, which went there directly.
Looking at your schedule, I think it’s ideal for that area 3-4 days is perfect, with, as you mention, the option to explore the Milky Way.
It was also one of the cheapest ski resorts I have been to, but still with plenty of quality restaurants. Enjoy!

Sounds exactly what we are after! Thanks for your thoughts.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy