Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting around Ski Amadé without a car

Poster: A snowHead
We're considering a two week trip to Europe for next season, and I've got my eye on Flangesax's place in Radstadt in the ski amadé. Can any one (resident or visitor) comment on the feasibility of travelling to other resorts via public transport? We're all reasonable skiiers so we'd probably want to visit several of the resorts, but it looks like we'd fly to munich from manchester rather than drive over. Comments on the transfer from munich also welcome

BTW Ben if you read this and comment, it'd be four people for two weeks, possibly one guy coming out for a long weekend but he can bunk down as a third in with the two chaps

Oooh while I think on, currently thinking this would be the first two weeks in march, is that going to clash with any major holiday periods and make it mad busy? March should give us plenty of time to build up a base for a bit of off-piste action too Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IIRC postbus got us around along with the odd taxi for when we wanted particular times to particular places.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can get a bus to Flachau, could connect from that to Zauchensee. And there's one the other way to Rohrmoos for Schladming. But they're not as frequent as the usual resort shuttle services.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nbt, Fly to Salzburg if you can and get the local transfer, it is a lot easier than the Munich run.

As for getting around, flangesax can offer the best advice. All the people I know who have tried the Postbus between the resorts have manged it but it does require fairly exact planning as well as tips on where the various bus stops are. You pay for the Postbus and then inside the different areas the buses are free as far as I know. As I always have my car, I have not used the buses for a very, very long time! Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Samerberg Sue, The postbus is free if you are skiing. Eeyore and I tried at last year

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 22-08-13 22:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nbt, The new cable car from flachau to Wagrain will open up more of the area without the need for as many busses but as Samerberg Sue says you'll need to keep an eye on timing. I have heard loads of excellent feedback about Flangesax's place, If you end up there you'll have a great time. If you decide you want something in a slightly different location i have availability in flachau (the flauchaiwinkl/Zauchensee bus stops at the end of the street.)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue, I know SZG is closer but there are no direct flights from manchester-and as we only live ten miles away, it's our default airport. I'm working on the assumption that public transport in austria and germany is far better than it is in the UK Smile

holidayloverxx, cheers, have looked at your place but we need a double bed and preferably two en-suite bedrooms

Comments welcome on other areas - have also looked at St Anton, Lech/Zurs (think the chalet's in Zug), Wengen and Flaine
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nbt, Thanks for looking. What I didn't mention about Radstadt is that is very convenient for the Schladming end of the valley, but I don't know about the buses as we've always had the car. If you go to Radstadt I believe you can get a train from Munich to Radstadt either direct or with 1 stop - takes about 3 hours (someone who knows for sure should advise really)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nbt, Thanks for looking. What I didn't mention about Radstadt is that is very convenient for the Schladming end of the valley, but I don't know about the buses as we've always had the car. If you go to Radstadt I believe you can get a train from Munich to Radstadt either direct or with 1 stop - takes about 3 hours (someone who knows for sure should advise really)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx, thanks, that kind of supports my asumption that getting from munich to to radstadt (3 hours, one change) will be easier than getting from Marple to Gatwick (guessing it would be well over four hours including trying to get across That London) or Luton (just as bad, even if we drive)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nbt, yes, I agree entirely, alhtough the train is from Munich, you'd have to get form airport to munich but I think that's easy too
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nbt, I know there are direct flights from Liverpool as many of Ben's guests arrived from there including our own inimitable avalanche poodle, so would that not be an alternative possibility.

With regard to the actual costs or not between the resorts, I don't think it is as clear as holidayloverxx is implying. Yes, within the Flachau/Altenmarkt/Radstadt/Zauchensee area the buses are free. That's not what I meant. I meant for example if you wanted to travel to Schladming, Hochkönig or the Gastein area. The linking buses are run by the Post and these are the ones that have to be paid for. I know when I got caught the wrong side of the Wagrain - St Johann/Alpendorf system, I had to pay for the bus back to St Johann from Wagrain. If I had been staying in Flachau, I could have got back on the free buses (albeit having to take 2 buses to complete the journey). That's why I suggested asking Ben for up-to-date inforation about the inter-area links and costs. If you are Ben's you will want to get to Schladders for sure (nearest entry point is at Reiteralm which is more than worth a day's playing! Toofy Grin )
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nbt wrote:
Samerberg Sue, I know SZG is closer but there are no direct flights from manchester-and as we only live ten miles away, it's our default airport. I'm working on the assumption that public transport in austria and germany is far better than it is in the UK Smile

Well I'll be going to flangesax's place (for the first time, I'm really looking forward to it!) in January, and like you I'll be flying into Munich (from Birmingham in my case). The Lufthansa return fare to Munich of £99 including 23kg hold baggage allowance plus free carriage of skis was too good to miss! Very Happy . I'm intending doing the transfer from Munich by train, see the DB website. I don't think the website currently lets you book tickets beyond December, but that will change closer to the winter season. To give you an idea of the likely travel time here's an example from the website:
Depart Munich Airport Terminal (on S8 light rail line): 11:44
Arrive Munich Ostbahnhof: 12:15
Depart Munich Ostbahnhof: 12:35
Arrive Bischofshofen: 14:42
Depart Bischofshofen:15:13
Arrive Radstadt: 15:35

So about 3hrs 50mins total travel time.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue, Yes, I was referring only to the Zauch bus
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Embarassed .... are people talking about me? .... Embarassed

nbt, sounds like a plan! Have a look on the availability calendar ( http://austrian-adventures.com/availability.htm ) ... I think it is up to date at the moment ish almost maybe like.....
But drop me an email or pm with some dates and we can look into it!

Getting about Amadé....

Using Radstadt as a base (to start with).

Busses:

Direct bus to Radstadt (stops throughout the town)
Direct bus to Fageralm (stops throughout the town)
Direct bus to Reiteralm (stops throughout the town; same service as the one above to Fageralm)
Direct bus to Zauchensee (Post Office bus stop)
Direct to Flachau / Flachau Winkl (Post Office bus stop)
Post Bus to Obertauern (Post Office bus stop free for ski pass holders)
Post bus to Wagrain (Post Office bus stop free for ski pass holders.. most of the time)

Linking on piste after getting a bus...

(a) Piste: Radstadt to Altenmarkt
Bus: Altenmarkt to Zauchensee
Piste: Zauchensee to Flachau Winkl
Bus: Flachau Winkl to Flachau
Piste: Flachau to Wagrain.
Piste: Wagrain to Alpendorf

(obviously this is a big trip!... but you can see the potential linking from different starting points)

(b) Piste: Reiteralm to Hochwurzen
Piste: Hochwurzen to Schladming
Piste: Schladming to Hauser Kaibling

(return busses possible back to Schladming from Haus, post bus or train from Schladming to Radstadt).

So there is a rough plan as to what you can get up to.
All of these services have a return BUT IMO they are all way before you want to finish the Apres! (between 4:30 - 5:30)
Taxis are expensive out here (budget €10 per person for every journey and you may get some change building up over the week!)
We offer a shuttle service for free if we are having a day out!

Can't wait to try the nee cable-car link from Flachau to Wagrain!

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 23-08-13 10:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
flangesax, you need to edit the link - I'm getting a "can't do it" message (I have your place book marked any way but thought I'd take the fast route! Toofy Grin ). The siggie link works perfick though snowHead
snow conditions
ta.. typo in the link!
snow report
Toofy Grin flangesax, Just pimped you in this one too: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=101721&highlight=

Get in there and sell yourself my lad! wink
snow conditions
Stop it! It's is almost flirtatious! Embarassed
ski holidays
nbt, Direct flights Manchester - Salzburg are available with Jet2
snow report
quinton, not according to skyscanner.

http://www.skyscanner.net/flights/man/szg/140301/140316/airfares-from-manchester-to-salzburg-in-march-2014.html

maybe Jet 2 haven't released their winter timetable yet? But as Alastair Pink says, it's £99 to munich with free ski carriage, plus a nice train journey though some foreign countryside
latest report
Its a long time since I was in the Amadeus hills ... err ... I think it was 1984 .. I drove down in the new Golf Mk II GTI ..that should date it.
The family were just twinkies then ... We had a great couple of weeks in a gasthoff in Sankt Viet.

We had a car, but we didn't use it much, it was easier to take the bus to the slopes.
The only problem we had was on Sunday we skied to Wagrain, and although we had checked the timetables we didnt realise there was a Sunday timetable and not much was going to get us back.
I "hitch hiked" in my ski boots back to St Jochen in Pongau no trouble.

The car gave us some independence though to mooch around to Bad Gastien for a warm swim on a miserable day.
latest report
Its a long time since I was in the Amadeus hills ... err ... I think it was 1984 .. I drove down in the new Golf Mk II GTI ..that should date it.
The family were just twinkies then ... We had a great couple of weeks in a gasthoff in Sankt Viet.

We had a car, but we didn't use it much, it was easier to take the bus to the slopes.
The only problem we had was on Sunday we skied to Wagrain, and although we had checked the timetables we didnt realise there was a Sunday timetable and not much was going to get us back.
I "hitch hiked" in my ski boots back to St Jochen in Pongau no trouble.

The car gave us some independence though to mooch around to Bad Gastien for a warm swim on a miserable day.
latest report
We've done a week in Bad Gastein so not overly worried if we don't make it down to that end of the ski area
snow report
nbt, For Jet2 flights, go to http://www.jet2.com/ - Skyscanner doesn't list every airline. Winter prices are online now (and have been for a few weeks), including March, although you'll not beat £99 return. Jet2 also fly from Leeds/Bradford to Salzburg.
ski holidays
quinton, cheers for that, I'm sure that skyscanner used to list Jet2 hence not checking the site direct
ski holidays
nbt, Jet2 flights to SZG are weekends only from either Leeds or Manchester, as are Easyjet from Luton or Liverpool. Salzburg is a pain to fly to on other days of the week, you are stuck with Ryanair from Stansted (5 days a week) or BA I think from Gatwick.

But I can highly recommend chez flangesax... snowHead
ski holidays
hmmm. £250 each for return flights on Jet 2, with 1 bag and 1 ski bag each, plus the cost of the airport transfer. ONly 45 minutes from airport to radstadt

or £99 for the return flight to munich, including baggage free ski carriage, plus €99 for a first class return from the airport to radstad. 4 hours, with one change of train - will have to see where the train runs to see if it'll be nice views

As it's €79 standard class - we might as well upgrade! Times work out quite well for the manchester planes, though we might need to consider when we'll be able to eat
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nbt, I think Liverpool to Salzburg with Easyjet is much cheaper than that. I was just looking at it for myself and it worked out £164 including skis and baggage for the week I'm looking at.
latest report
queen bodecia, Book it my girl book it! You know it's right Laughing
ski holidays
queen bodecia, thanks but I must have chosen an expensive time, the outbound flight is £62 but the return is 108 - add on bagsage and skis and we're up to £250 a head again
latest report
@flangesax, Good Morning and thank you for this great post.

I am currently doing some research with regards to Ski Amadé Without a car.
My plan is to spend all month of March in the area and try and get as much skiing posable.

My question is. Am I best to move to different accommodation every few days? Or will situating my self in one place and use the local buses etc suffice?
snow conditions
@gnave, I'd recommend staying somewhere central like Radstadt / Altenmarkt / Eben / Flachau. From there you can get buses easily to everywhere except Hochkönig and the Gasteins, and even those are doable with a bit of extra planning (buses and/or trains from Bischofshofen).
ski holidays
@queenie pretty please, Thank you for the information.

Do you have any input regarding snow conditions for the month of March?
snow conditions
@gnave, weather forecasting is rather unreliable more than a few days ahead. I have experienced everything in March from 20 degree sunshine to -10 blizzards. But I have never know the ski areas to close early due to lack of snow. Relax.
ski holidays
@queenie pretty please, Relax. I love it Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy