Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soll for Snowboarders?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Howdy

Have been offered a great deal for 6 boarders in Soll but looking at resort highlights on various ski company websites, Soll only gets 3* for boarders. I'm guessing its to do with 39 drag lifts or is there more to it? Ischgl on the other hand has 5* whilst Saalbach St Anton and Solden have 4*. As we've been to the latter 3 was looking at somewhere new. Any further recommendations?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saalbach is awesome, believe in soll the uplift is on the edge of town so bus needed etc
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gainz, the only drag lifts in the Soll sector are learner slopes in the valley, and across the whole area there are only a couple of very short drags which are required to link major lifts and which aren't easily avoided. Probably 90% of the drag lifts serve learner areas. I love the area, and I can't think of any particular reasons why it wouldn't be considered boarder friendly. There are a couple of routes which are thin cat tracks, including the moonlight run down into Soll (the main run is much wider), but I've met several boarders who also managed those without issue.

I also ski in Hinterglemm every year, and I'd rate the experience as being similar. The Skiwelt is lower generally, and especially at valley level, so December and late March are more marginal than in Saalbach, St Anton or Solden although the north-facing slopes in Soll, Scheffau and Ellmau are better than those in Itter and Brixen. At the higher level, snowmaking is good but again being 300-400m lower it is more vulnerable in warmer times.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For some reason I think these websites score 1* for a snow park on the mistaken assumption that all boarders want to use it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers all, don't really think Soll will be suitable. In comparison Ischgl has only 9 drags out of 45 lifts plus 3 parks so I'd have thought parks play into the scoring too. Prices for Ischgl coming in at £1200 Hotel Garni Neder b&b, pass, flights and transfer. Is that good? Haven't snowboarded in europe for a while except UCPA and forgotten the prices (and those silly flight times) Is it better to wait for Jan sales?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gainz, Ischgl is one of the more expensive Austrian resorts if that is a consideration. Ischgl is probably a better resort overall than Söll though is not so good in bad weather. If drag lifts are a big issue Ischgl has a drag in a fairly key spot on a run home, it is only slightly uphill and is annoying even on skis, the drags at Skiwelt are mostly confined to the nursery slopes none in a key link I can remember. To be fair most lifts in Ischgl are modern chairs / gondolas. Cant comment on the boarding thing but in general Arlberg better for ski routes / off piste and Ischgl better for pistes / intermediates.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been to Soll with a group of boarders and can't say I can remember having to catch a single drag. Might be my brain slowly giving up on me, but I honestly can't remember any.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I did my first and only snowboarding holiday there quite a few years ago. What I remember most is "mittlestation" down to the moonlight bar. The top is an absolute killer on the legs (flat with a little dip), but you only have to do it once a day really.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I cannot remember many drags in Skiwelt. Cannot see why Soll wouldn't be good for boarders (the noted run excepted)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We have been to Soll 3 times. The area (Skiwelt) is fantastic and the ski area is huge. In the 3 times we have been there, there was no problem avoiding the drags.....can't even remember needing to re route to avoid them. I always seek them out when I'm on my board just to keep the skills of using them. We absolutely love Soll and the area. You would have to try very hard not to have an amazing time there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Didn't rate Soll at all for boarding ...... they main area in particular wasn't my idea of what I'd want ...... more like some giant theme park in the mountains.

The satellites offer more, running out to Going say ...... the best area was Westendorf, especially that long isolated run out the back, if you like that kinda thing, but the lift system there was 'older' than the rest when we went.

Soll nightlife can be a bit chavvy ...... not uncommon to encounter post-pubescent Brits etc chucking up everywhere. They also have this 'witch' thing going on.

Having said that, discounting a place because it simply has more than the average number of drags, isn't the best way to do it ..... back in the day we gave up selecting areas based mostly on trail maps after just a couple of trips, before all this new fangled internet info ......
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all. Looks like we're giving Soll a miss and look elsewhere. If it were up to me I'd go back to Whistler...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gainz, JMO but I'd maybe not restrict yourself to 'Whistlerland'.

Don't get me wrong, the combination of terrain, vibe and partying, I've yet to encounter better.

Despite this, I tend to go elsewhere these days, plenty of others ...... Fernie for example, that are really worth a look when you eventually prefer your evenings a little more 'Canadian', lol ......
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy