Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel FX Bureau de Change

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Could anyone help with my question please?

I've found this website: https://www.travelfx.co.uk/. They have a very good rate of conversion but work on bank transfer only. Are they legitimate, has anyone on here used them? Trustpilot says they're good but their positive ratings are almost TOO good...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@justabod, SnowHead finance experts will be along soon.

As a ‘victim’ of the Crown Currency scandal a few years ago, a rule of thumb proved true. If it looks too good to be true it’s high risk or maybe a scam. On that example, I became complacent after 3 or 4 quite large, successful and good value currency exchanges with them, before the Crown Currency dodgy business model collapsed.

A bit of research on Travel FX Bureau business model is wise.
snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’ve used Fair FX (https://www.fairfx.com/) for years, and they have always had High Street beating rates.

Based on the € rate today they are offering 1.162 against 17.01 for Travel FX. I’m not sure the difference is worth it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
World first are at 1.1815 at the moment.

To put it in perspective on £1000 that's €20 more than the travelfx rate.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marcellus wrote:

I have just added to my Revolut account at €1.1806. The £ has been rising recently. I wonder what will happen once the exit polls are announced.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles wrote:
marcellus wrote:

I have just added to my Revolut account at €1.1806. The £ has been rising recently. I wonder what will happen once the exit polls are announced.

Had you waited another 2 hours you should have been able to get 1.1824 quite easily! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all: given the faff Travel FX are only 50 euro cents better on £500 so will trundle over to the local BdC I think.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've used them before and they actually sent me the money in a lovely brown envelope!
Currently tend to use a WeSwap card; it's basically a charge card which you top up from your bank account, then choose how much you want to swap to one of 18 different currencies. It's 2% commission if you choose instant exchange, or 1% if you choose the 7 day swap. We recently got 1.178/£ after fees (they use the XE rate -0.25%) - and it has the advantage that it's all virtual, basically functions as a Mastercard. But cash withdrawals of Euro200 or more are also fee-free.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If it's simply for travel money, have you considered just using a debit card like at home? I recently opened a Starling Bank account. It took minutes. There's no international fees, and it uses Mastercard rates. I've used in in Canada and saved me loads of money. And there's no hassle of carrying around wads of cash.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Should have linked. Looks too good to be true, but it's legit! https://www.starlingbank.com/travel/
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Canuck wrote:
If it's simply for travel money, have you considered just using a debit card like at home? I recently opened a Starling Bank account. It took minutes. There's no international fees, and it uses Mastercard rates. I've used in in Canada and saved me loads of money. And there's no hassle of carrying around wads of cash.

We’ve got a Starling Bank account too. Note however that the MasterCard rate is not the same as the interbank or mid-market rate, so there is still a cost to exchange.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Austrian Seagull wrote:
Note however that the MasterCard rate is not the same as the interbank or mid-market rate, so there is still a cost to exchange.

That's why I use WeSwap! They use the XE rate -0.25%...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
https://nomadgate.com/visa-vs-mastercard-exchange-rate/

Some further info on visa vs mastercard rates

Which implies mastercard which we know is generally slightly better than visa .....averages .21% above mid market rate
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@achilles, +1

Revolute is worth checking out GBP/EUR and GBP/USD within 0.01% and 0.02% of interbank and no fees. You can go tap happy at the bar without charges. FX spread does widen a tad on weekeneds and might do out of London hours. You are capped at £200 or £250 per day though, which is fine if you pre-plan. Note, they are not a bank so no financial protection.

I hear Monzo is also very good, but cannot verify myself.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy