Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Thuile

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
dobby ...... best thing is I'm not an apres monster, lol ....... I'm quite happy with a couple of quiet beers and a bit of atmosphere.

La Thuile I just found weird ......

Quote:
Do you think I might not get these from La Thuile? Genuine question.

You seem set on LaThuile, which is fine, but you'll also get similar in Clavier, Pila and, possibly the best of a unpropitious bunch, Courmayeur ...... so don't be afraid to cast your net wider.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@psyxologos, Its never too busy, i have never had to wait for more than a couple of minutes for a lift!

It's a bit busier at the weekend but not like Cervina or Zermatt.

Its not a super sized ski area, but other areas like Courmayeur or Cervinia or Pila are not far and are worth a visit if you are mobile if you get bored.

You will find good food too.

As said it's not a perfect resort, and lacks any real nightlife or life at night other than having a meal as everywhere is quiet. It is however family oriented and has 2 good ski schools.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This has been a really interesting thread. Well done to @BCjohnny, for interrupting the La Thuille love in. I think it shows that not many resorts can be all things to all people. I loved it there but went with my wife, staying in the old village (which we found charming), eating in good restaurants and being well looked after in our small hotel- all for relatively low cost. Had I gone on our boys trip, I wouldn't have been so happy! I can also imagine it's not so good for boarders on the mountain.
However, looking at the OPs requirements it should fit the bill well and whilst I have also read mixed reviews about Plannibel (not all bad by any means), you couldn't be in a more convenient position for lifts and ski school, which is a high priority with kids in tow. 160kms of piste should be plenty on a family trip as well and the option of a day out in Courmayeur is there if not.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@psyxologos, not the most attractive resort. Views up the hill of Monte Bianco, Monte Cervino (very distant and small) and the Grande Paradiso. Not busy, not expensive, good off piste, touring and heli skiing. Some runs get busier, easy to avoid them. Town quiet, except for apres in the Petit Skier.

Italian coffee and food, and easy drive from UK.

Not everyone’s favourite but that’s great, as I can ski powder days after a snowfall unlike busy resorts.
I’m there for 5 weeks this season.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great value for the money ... something to be desired is: better lift system (would change value/money ratio), nightlife, somewhat worn down Planibel complex at the base and that long 2 drag lift connection from La Rosiere. And wind, it could be really windy at the top which means lift closures. I like the town itself - not much to do but enough to eat and drink good and enjoy quaint and rustic Italian charm.

In the last two seasons I went to La Thuile 3 times (about 20 days total). If snow was good, like the 2017/18 season, this resort is great, in somewhat "thinner" snow season - not so much. Overall I like it but it could get much better with few new lifts and some hotel investments.

Last thing: the best terrain/views (IMO) is off of Fourclaz and Picollo St. Bernardo chairs. Arnouvaz is ok but chair needs to be replaced and Argillen is just fine. "Tree side" of the resort has some of the finest tree skiing possibilities in the Alps but local guidance is a must.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Brilliant. Many thanks for your contributions. I guess I'll have to find out for myself how I like it. It does sound like it ticks many of the boxes though.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BCjohnny, I know what you mean about atmosphere. When we were in La Thuile a couple of years ago, someone was really making an effort at apres time outside the Planibel to get something, anything, going. Sound system, people drinking. Felt sorry for them. It was as if something unseen sucking up the atmosphere...still enjoyed my timer there, though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@psyxologos, yes, you'll have a great time in La Thuile! The Planibel is a bit of a concrete slab, but it's certainly convenient.

I stayed in La Rosiere for a week, but much preferred it over the hill in La Thuile. Nice varied runs, great views of Mont Blanc, good food and no crazy lift queues.

You should try and go over to La Ros too if the weather permits, there are some good long runs and great views of the Tarentaise valley too. French food/language makes a change too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you Luigi. I appreciate the insight.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh, I forgot the best part of La Thuile ... 25 minutes bus ride (2 euros) to Courmayeur and ski connection to La Rosiere give you impression of covering much more ground on the same ski pass ... these ski areas are so different from each other, with distinct terrain, atmosphere, food options and the crowds that visit. With little effort it is basically 3 for 1 type of experience ...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I believe that to get the best from the Espace San Bernardo domain, you shouldn't think of La Thuile and La Rosiere as single entities but rather as two distinct resorts that share the same area. The increased cost of buying a linked ski area pass compared to the individual resort's passes is not huge and delivers terrific value when compared to other nearby ski stations. @Cheapski, has highlighted the differences between France and Italy, La Rosiere faces south and south-west whilst La Thuile is north facing, so if you keep an eye on the weather you can vary your skiing, to ski in the sun in the morning in France and get back to Italy for the afternoon when the slopes there are sunnier. You'll also notice the difference in slope preparation, the pistes in Italy are more heavily pisted than those in France. Don't be too concerned about the surface lifts, it can get very windy on the Col de Petit Saint Bernard so it's just not practical to replace them with chair-lifts whereas the drags can continue to run, it has to be very windy before the link is closed.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy