Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Year - worse than February?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
For those of you who have previous experience of skiing during the New Year week - based on Three Valleys - how would you compare this week to skiing during the busy 2nd half term week of February?
Thinking of coming out for New Year, particularly as conditions looking ok - but the thought of it being horrendously busy slightly putting me off? Have skied last couple of years during Feb and its bearable!
Usually only stick to low season - Jan and March
Any thoughts appreciated.
Would be driving if we decided to take the plunge.
Thank you
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dippy, less busy than Feb half term in my experience - although current conditions may tempt a few more people out.

Mind you I've never had an issue at half-term either
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
New Year is pretty bad in France tbh. A bit of reverse logic though. When the snow is very good the French tend to go to lower, cheaper local resorts. 3V is pretty international though, may not apply.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It'll be busy, but that doesn't mean endless queues at the lifts these days-it's more a question of the crowds on the slopes (and the idiots skiing too fast and out of control). Some pistes are much busier than others-the trick is knowing where to go and at what time of day. I'd say the level of busy-ness is about the same has half term.

Your first issues-finding accommodation ate this late stage and then driving down on a Saturday. If you can avoid the latter in any way-do so. it will otherwise be pretty awful.

My tips once in situ-be at the first lift at least 15 mins before they open in the morning-well before ski schools meet. Once up the mountain in the early morning-avoid skiing to the bottom between 9.15 and 9.45 as you will just stuck behind the ski school groups.
Quieter places to ski rather depends where you stay. From the Belleville Valley-first thing-the slopes above St martin are pretty quiet. Over in Meribel-we like the runs off the top of the Olympic chair-and down to le Raffort-especially if there is fresh snow.
Courchevel 1650 can be relatively quiet too.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Or go out later, miss the queues, ski through lunch

Ski lower down, snows great, everyone will head high
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
In my experience new year week always feels busier than Feb half term in the French mega resorts. Possibly partly illusion as it's so quiet again the following week.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Many thanks for replies.
If …. we do go would drive most of way on Friday (dependent of finding somewhere to stay fri night)
Would be staying in LaTania (catered chalet)
Does seem a bit daft - go 1 week later - chalets a lot cheaper - train (Eurotunnel) a lot cheaper - everywhere a lot quieter! - And yes … we can / will go in Jan also - I was just hoping to get an extra sneaky week in as well!
Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also likely that snow much less good at New Year than later
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dippy, A confession first of all I've never skied during the Febuary/March 4 weeks of half term, but I have skied a lot over New Year. My answers are based entirely on France.

The occupancy statistics show higher occupancy at New Year than any of the half term weeks. The crowds and queues are just about manageable over New Year. I'm also pretty certain not everyone goes out every day at New Year. A lot of families go on holiday over the Christmas/New Year period simply for a holiday. I met a woman on a ski lift one Wednesday morning and she said it was her first day out on skis of the week.

The second and third half term weeks have greater occupancy than the first and fourth.

If you have the time and the money then go.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Also likely that snow much less good at New Year than later

Generally maybe but looks fab at moment and sure will be good in 2-weeks. You never know might not snow again all season!

Happened before
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ooooo - decisions decisions!!
Many thanks for replies - tempted to go as have friends out there for that week - they would be my only reason for going if I'm honest!
May give it another week to see how conditions / forecast looking in the hope rooms in chalet I have my eye on are still available.
Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Haven't done 3v for a few years now but regularly visited over New Year in the past (although never skied February as a comparison).

On the whole we never had a real problem. Agree with what Perty and Boris say. It is generally just busy on the slopes rather than queues, provided you avoid pinch points and certain times of the day as suggested. Best time to go out is first thing on New Year's Day and you'll have the place to yourself. Often a lot of the French will leave after NYD.

Probably, our worst experience was a few years ago where there was limited opening due to lack of snow. Only about a third of the runs were open and so certain lifts had massive queues and trying to navigate the resort was a challenge. You shouldn't have that problem this year and so people will be more spread out.

I'd say if you can go for an extra sneeky week, then go.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy