Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brexit and Travel Insurance LOOK OUT!

Poster: A snowHead
I just signed up to a 'premium' upgrade of a financial service and was [tentatively] pleasantly surprised to be informed that I'd also been given Travel Insurance.
Scanning the policy to see whether the cover was Micky Mouse or viable enough to avoid purchasing elsewhere, I encountered this line:
Quote:
• You must be registered under the healthcare system in your home country (which must be within the European Union / EEA).

Aahhhh... so potentially, from a couple of weeks time, no! rolling eyes

Might be worth a moment checking your own policy for such a phrase.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It follows that our lack of access to EHIC will push up costs. Good idea to check.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It seems that very soon you probably won't be covered by that policy if you live in the UK - it'd be an obvious case for a miss-selling claim.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
try Austrian Alpine Club Britannia Sektion, world wide cover for £52 a year. Its not full travel insurance, but covers the big ticket items of rescue, medical expenses and repatriation
More info here: http://www.alpenverein.at/portal_wAssets/docs/service/versicherung/AV-WWS-Folder_E_2018_ebook.pdf
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep but you are now free to pay for a deal rather than accept it for free. Happy # brexit-thread
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I refer to page 1 of the Brexit thread wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good shout. Lloyds gold acct ...states strongly recommend an EHIC so non EHIC not excluded
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@holidayloverxx, good to know, am looking to change insurance and considering the bank route
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@holidayloverxx, thanks for that - saves me having to check Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I live in guernsey which is outside the Eu. I get the dog tag insurance. You just have to double check as some insurance is Eu only and some isn’t.

Obviously we can’t get ehic cards either.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
https://www.thebmc.co.uk/how-will-brexit-affect-travel-insurance-bmc

A timely BMC info piece
It seems EHIC cards will become an issue if there is no deal.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Although we have our EHIC our Yorkshire Bank signature account gives us world wide travel insurance, I may have mentioned it before but they were fantastic when MrsHD broke her wrist in Sestriere.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have Lloyds and claimed on it when I broke my leg snowboarding 5 years ago. The service was just incredible, not just in France but for repatriation and after I got home too.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@homers double, @bar shaker, they may well have been grest but have you checked the small print. This thread is about whether existing policies have clauses in them that will make them invalid come Brexit, as @admin, found with the one he was given.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've checked our Nationwide Flex plus one, but it doesn't mention having EHIC as compulsory, just advises you to have one.
snow conditions
@adithorp, as I said above, Lloyds Gold does not require an EHIC
latest report
Overall, if hospital treatment costs Brits more in future, insurance costs will rise. Stands to reason! And it is the big acute stuff which has been treated in main hospitals rather than the private resort clinics. My simple pelvic fracture cost my insurer very little. If I'd been shipped to a big hospital for surgery it would have been an expensive job without EHIC cover.
ski holidays
Probably already been discussed, but I've just renewed my EHIC, which says it's valid for EEA countries & Switzerland.

So presumably it's not an integral part of EU membership, but valid for countries who have made reciprocal agreements (eg including Switz.)

So hopefully if and when we leave with an agreement the EHIC will still be valid.

<Edit> just checked : The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 23-10-19 18:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@geoffers, if it is part of the deal, then yes, but I think it is being left up to individual EU countries and it is not a foregone conclusion for all.
latest report
@pam w, indeed, although hubby's cervical spine repair also cost the insurer very little (more was paid out in curtailment, refund of lift passes etc than in medical bills), its cost without an EHIC card was in the tens of thousands. He received something from the French CPAM sometime afterwards with the exact costs on, it wasn't a bill, more a statement of account.
snow report
geoffers wrote:
So hopefully if and when we leave with an agreement the EHIC will still be valid.
The Withdrawal Agreement which was agreed last week by the PM and the EU Counci does not include the UK's continued participation in the EHIC scheme. Perhaps there will be a separate agreement made at a later date, but I don't think that's likely given that ending "health tourism" was one of the things that the leave campaign highlighted during the referendum campaign.
snow conditions
I'm Irish albeit living in the UK, to be on the safe side I applied for EHIC back home last week and was sent a new card. I did it as a precaution, I imagine a deal will cover EHIC.
snow report
Quote:

try Austrian Alpine Club Britannia Sektion, world wide cover for £52 a year. Its not full travel insurance, but covers the big ticket items of rescue, medical expenses and repatriation

It also allows you to extend cover if you plan to take a trip exceeding 8 weeks in duration (which is the limit under the basic policy for emergency medical treatment), and if you do that the maximum amount available for medical treatment is also extended from the basic EUR 10,000 to EUR 500,000.
It’s slightly cheaper if you take Europe only cover, rather than worldwide. Worked out considerably cheaper than M.P.I.
Haven’t yet checked to see what it says about EHIC.
UPDATE: The basic policy, included with membership, provides that medical cover is limited to a derisory EUR 750, if you don’t produce an EHIC card and present it to the hospital. However the separate Alpenverein Premium – Single Trip Cover policy (which, as previously stated is available as an extension for trips exceeding 8 weeks in duration) makes no mention of the EHIC card. So it will be interesting to compare the premium for a whole season with M.P.I. Quite expensive no doubt. (Brexit just never stops giving) rolling eyes
latest report
Revolut have similar terms in their policy, so I emailed White Horse, the Irish provider they use. They say, that the cover will remain effective even after Brexit. Screen shot of the email

ski holidays
Nice one @Oleski! That's a really useful piece of information.
snow conditions
@admin, no problem. May be worth clarifying with your provider too? Unless it's Revolut too Very Happy
ski holidays
Laughing that's actually where we came in (see OP)
latest report
Quote:

ending "health tourism" was one of the things that the leave campaign highlighted during the referendum campaign.

Nonsensical of course, as the EHIC scheme allows the home countries of EU health tourists to be billed for the cost of treatment - and which sane EU citizens would travel to the U.K. specifically for medical treatment? Is there any counter-argument?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Actually I've heard that counter-argued a lot. Mostly the argument goes, "what are you, like, sume remoaner or sumething. Do you hate democrasie?"

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 24-10-19 15:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
tatmanstours wrote:
Nonsensical of course,
Indeed.
ski holidays
Oleski wrote:
@admin, no problem. May be worth clarifying with your provider too? Unless it's Revolut too Very Happy

It's a shame that Revolutes Winter Sprorts add on (£25) only covers off piste with an instructor or guide.
snow report
Have been cogitating about arranging winter sports medical insurance cover for the season. Basically, it would be from the date in January when my AAC complimentary cover expires (included in membership, but limited to the first 8 weeks of any trip) to the end of the ski season in April. Effectively that means taking out a three month single-trip policy, which, through Knox Insurance, would cost me and Mrs TT a fairly reasonable £250 to cover both of us.
As an alternative, I had been wondering about this Revolut policy: "Revolut’s Pay-per-Day overseas medical insurance uses geolocation technology so you only get charged for the days that you are actually abroad, with medical and dental coverage from as little as £1.00 per day."
I've been reading some of the scathing comments about Revolut's customer service on the other thread. Also I note from the OP that the Revolut policy might not be valid after Brexit (31st Jan?), so I guess that's the decision made then. A shame, because it it hadn't been for the necessity to be registered under the health care system of an EU/EEA country, I would have looked into the Revolut policy, which sounds interesting and cost-effective.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, I also looked at the Revolut policy but gave up because it was impossible to find out the exact terms and conditions without signing up for the policy..!?

==== edit ====

Just found it Smile :: for those interested, link below

https://www.revolut.com/assets/premium/policy.pdf
ski holidays
Will be watching this thread with interest.
my annual policy has expired, not renewed as was not planning holidays for many months. Was planning to take out new policy for prebb & BB.

I suspect the insurers have made provisions to be revealed when situation regarding brexit date is clear, rather than repeated extensions. If we don't leave on 31st Jan, nothing will change, so why advertise higher prices and lose potential business.

Maybe Friday morning might bring some clarity.
latest report
Any insurance company that sold a policy that included "European cover", in the full knowledge that the cover would be invalidated (ie. No ehic) within the period of said policy would probably be guilty of mis-selling, if not fraud.
snow report
@albob, just had a quick scan of the terms and conditions. Not only must you live in an EEA country and carry a valid EHIC card with you, but any trip must not exceed 20 days and must begin and end in your home country. Useless for me.
ski holidays
admin wrote:

NB. snowHeads insurance IS NOT A REAL THING!

it's a shame we never got to use the logo snowHead

Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
I got slated in Brexit Thread for stating UK Citizens Insurance could be invalid in the EU ..
snow report
@tatmanstours, Useless for most people.. : from my reading of the terms it seems to be an 'emergency' only cover : none of the usual things you get with a normal travel insurance policy (baggage/repatriation/personal injury/personal liability etc…)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy