Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TV show about Val Thorens pisteurs

Poster: A snowHead
I so, like, never want to be in the same, like, ski resort as university students en masse!!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 22-12-19 2:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Coincidentally we just watched the same episode and I said exactly the same thing! I think they were in Les Arcs this year (Dec2019).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We’re really enjoying it. Its really quite graphic at times but I find I’m too engrossed to notice it too much. Felt for the Brits when they found out they were going to have to cough up for the lady with the broken arm. They were clearly blaming the agent for not getting adequate insurance cover especially as the cover (the carre niege I assume) wouldn’t have cost them much. You live and learn. Actually the programme is useful for highlighting costs, insurance, etc. I prefer the older guy as I think Fred seems pretty grumpy.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quite watchable, just wish the female narrator could pronounce the resort name correctly.........
I guess the programme is aimed at the Courcheval and Teens target audience!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
KenX wrote:
Quite watchable, just wish the female narrator could pronounce the resort name correctly...

I've watched 9 of 10 episodes and not noticed it. How is she mispronouncing it?
(or do I not want to know for fear of ruining the last episode)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Higs, just enjoy it and ask again next week!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interesting comment from the pisteur regarding Sunday being the worst day for legs being sliced by freshly serviced skis!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not seen any yet. Some of the young Pisteurs in Tignes wear helmets, presumably as they had to as youngsters. One argument I have heard is that they like to be able to hear clearly when doing avalanche prevention. Presumably listening for the whoooomph.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I really enjoyed the whole thing, dead interesting - quite surprised. Wouldn't want to be anywhere near the varsity mob either rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kittya wrote:
I really enjoyed the whole thing, dead interesting - quite surprised. Wouldn't want to be anywhere near the varsity mob either rolling eyes

Maybe I'm getting tolerant in my old age but they didn't seem too bad. They seemed to enjoy skiing, partying and competition.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
KenX wrote:
Quite watchable, just wish the female narrator could pronounce the resort name correctly.........
I guess the programme is aimed at the Courcheval and Teens target audience!

It was driving my French husband insane when I was watching it!! She's pronouncing it Val Torren, instead of Torronz rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes She's not even adding the S onto the end!!

She also says CorchevAl.

Should have asked me to do it. I might consider going into voice overs/narration one day.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

Merry Christmas. Ange
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is that Ronald McDonald in the middle?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
HoneyBunny wrote:
[quote="KenX"

It was driving my French husband insane when I was watching it!! She's pronouncing it Val Torren, instead of Torronz .

We know a Frenchman who lives there and he pronounces it, "Val Toe- raaan...." wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bergmeister wrote:
HoneyBunny wrote:
[quote="KenX"

It was driving my French husband insane when I was watching it!! She's pronouncing it Val Torren, instead of Torronz .

We know a Frenchman who lives there and he pronounces it, "Val Toe- raaan...." wink

We are now watching episide 6 and both the ski patroller and medical centre doctor pronounce it as Val Toe Ran. So it looks like HoneyBunny's hubby will be doing his dinger at his compatriots as well. Shocked
snow report
Of always pronounced it Val Torronz. Then one of my colleagues, admittedly from Marseilles not the Savoie, pronounced it Val TorrENZ with quite the emphasis on the end. Since then I've never felt comfortable with his to pronounce it.
snow report
We've watched 4 episodes now. Some cringeworthy stuff and some interesting stuff.

The Russian guy without insurance... maybe stereotypical but it didn't surprising me he was Russian! And as for, "he won't go skiing without insurance again" ... yeah, right!
snow report
Thought I might just look for this programme - found it on VirginMedia in time to see someone's leg in 'bits' ; the programme being shown was 'Ski A&E' :: decided to watch BBC news instead......
latest report
Bergmeister wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
HoneyBunny wrote:
[quote="KenX"

We are now watching episide 6 and both the ski patroller and medical centre doctor pronounce it as Val Toe Ran. So it looks like HoneyBunny's hubby will be doing his dinger at his compatriots as well. Shocked

All the locals I saw on the show pronounced the S on the end, I don't recall seeing any say Toe-Ran. A couple said Torrenz, the rest said Torronz.
snow report
Anyway to watch this on catch up or online?
snow report
Fridge03 wrote:

I had a look around and couldn’t seem to get the W channel online or catchup anywhere. Thought the uktv player might do it but doesn’t have the W channel.
ski holidays
Just watched the last episode. Was surprised that the father of the 14yo who went missing off piste wasn't more worried and didn't seem to bollock him for wandering off piste on his own (with no gear). But then the "ski guide" who found him didn't seen very concerned either
ski holidays
been on W channel all day today, it's on my Sky Catch up as well.
latest report
Fridge03 wrote:

The Channel is part of UKTV - seems to be only available on - Sky/VirginMedia/BT/TalkTalkTV

==== edit ===

some bits available on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4yNyLcNkmefWqfSTsF0iEA/search?query=ski
ski holidays
They keep repeating it on W Channel. As I do about the chance to listen to the interviews with the producers of the program (about how they got permissions, managed the logistics etc) on The Ski Podcast Episodes 43 and 44
https://theskipodcast.com/
latest report
bambionskiis wrote:
We’re really enjoying it. Its really quite graphic at times but I find I’m too engrossed to notice it too much. Felt for the Brits when they found out they were going to have to cough up for the lady with the broken arm. They were clearly blaming the agent for not getting adequate insurance cover especially as the cover (the carre niege I assume) wouldn’t have cost them much. You live and learn. Actually the programme is useful for highlighting costs, insurance, etc. I prefer the older guy as I think Fred seems pretty grumpy.

We discussed this the other week after one of our number watched the prog.

While we are all pretty experienced and always buy the carre niege, whenever we have bought as a group from the tour op, they hand over the ski passes and say nothing about insurance.

I think there is a huge information gap about what insurance you need and what is covered. I genuinely think that some people think they are sorted with their travel insurance and a lift pass.
ski holidays
Except carre neige is completely unnecessary if you have proper winter sports insurance
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
Except carre neige is completely unnecessary if you have proper winter sports insurance

You got there before me. I'd add that you have to be prepared to cover the initial costs and then claim them back. You may also send up paying an excess, but that's something I accept with insurance.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GreenDay wrote:
I think there is a huge information gap about what insurance you need and what is covered. I genuinely think that some people think they are sorted with their travel insurance and a lift pass.

In many cases that's because they are.
snow report
I guess my point (and why I mentioned travel insurance as opposed to decent winter sports insurance) is that lots of people turn up with a "my bank gives me free travel insurance and it has skiing on it" attitude and dont really know what they may or may not be covered for.

These are the people that will be surprised when hit with a bill from the pisteurs to get off the hill.......and for whom "avec insurance" would be a decent idea.

I guess knowing what you are and are not covered for is the lesson.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy