Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Light Ski Touring Boots

Poster: A snowHead
Any ideas on lightish ski touring boots suitable for narrow heel, wide forefoot?

Nordica Speedmachine 130 (100 last) are the most comfortable downhill boots I’ve had so far.

Had Dynafit touring boots once but needed a lot of widening and never truly comfortable. K2 Pinnacle needed work but pretty good result. A while back have put my foot in Salomon Quest (ouch), Technica Cochise (nope), Friends in Lange / Dalbello have much narrower feet than me.

I reckon Nordica Stryders would be perfect but still pretty bulky and last years model no longer available in my size (27). Any lighter options - last years models going cheap? Scott, Scarpa, Fischer for example?

These will be for a specific purpose where up more important than down and will get limited use so need to be pretty cheap. Will reuse custom insoles from other boots.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Two threads more or less on the same subject rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weathercam wrote:
Two threads more or less on the same subject rolling eyes

Like to keep you on your toes Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I should put you in contact with my mate who is a real lightweight weenie dude gear and big couloir skier I get confused as to what boots he uses for what etc

The joy and disposable income of not having kids!

Off out into the garage on the turbo
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm looking for wide tourers and probably going for Scarpa maestrale on recommendation from Mountain Pro in ValD (currently have scott cosmos but they're getting too soft and the ski/walk mode mechanism isn't great)

Might spoil myself to Black Crowe Navis freebirds to go with them (switch dynafit pins over and sell my scott superguide 95's)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Anyone tried:
Scott super guide - 103 last 1415g
Scarps Maestrale - 101 last 1410g
Fischer Travers - 100 last 980g
Dynamite Beast - ? Last 1460g
Scarpa F1 102 last 1230g
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BobinCH, I quite fancy the Dynamite Beast Very Happy

But I understand they are very difficult to get into and maybe more so if you have a wide foot.

I’ve just got some Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro’s, but since they are 28.5, they have a wider forefoot, as that goes up with size. Since they are Grilamid they are easy to punch.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dr John, will see if I can find some of those to try this weekend!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mate uses the Roxa R3 and RX tours as used by GP

http://www.roxa.com/ski-boots/rx-carbon/
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’m looking for something cheap. The ones above are last years models around 300 euros on Sport Conrad. Alas I’m a popular 27/27.5 so availability is a problem for anything half decent...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
He's just let me know his quiver

New line Sakana with the new marker M works as his playful powder touring ski

BC orbs freebirds with ATK R12 LightBlue bindings Mountaineering setup
https://www.atkbindings.com/en/prodotto/bindings/free-touring-en/r12-lightblue-2019-en/
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BobinCH, I’ve got some Vulcans in that size. Shape is a bit weird but if you take the tongues out they are light, walk well and ski well enough
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have a pair of Technica zero G tour scouts. Prior to that I've owned a number of different touring boots, most recently the Scarpa Maestrale rs. The Maestrale was stiff enough but had very unprogressive flex. The Technica is, unusually, an overlap boot so it skis really nicely and because of the way the walk mode works it tours really well. It is also pretty light.
They are my only boots.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno wrote:
@BobinCH, I’ve got some Vulcans in that size. Shape is a bit weird but if you take the tongues out they are light, walk well and ski well enough

Alas I struggled with the Dynafit shape on the Titans. Are you looking to offload them to a worthy cause?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno wrote:

Alas I struggled with the Dynafit shape on the Titans. Are you looking to offload them to a worthy cause?
snow conditions
@BobinCH, ive have the non carbon fishers travers , its a great boot so light( 1020 g ) and rom is amazing ,and they made long multi days easier , perfect for soft snow skiing but not sure if its enough boot for you when performance is needed , I skied the Nordica Stryder last year but as you said a little bulky and heavy for longer touring , just bought a pair of Fischer ranger 120 and they fit perfectly out of the box and are light (1320g )but study with a good rom , got an ex demo pair from sport Conrad for 310 euros which was a steal , think they had a 27.5 left ,

size wise I have the same foot profile and the travers 100mm last and the rangers 99 mm last give me good heel fit and no hot spots up front straight out of box

n.b the travers won't work with shift , but rangers do
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Arno wrote:

Yes. Just taking up space at home. They are a bit of a weird shape which is why I replaced them

If you want them you can have them for cost of shipping and an overpriced beverage if I find myself in Verbier sometime soon
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Arno wrote:

Yes. Just taking up space at home. They are a bit of a weird shape which is why I replaced them

If you want them you can have them for cost of shipping and an overpriced beverage if I find myself in Verbier sometime soon

Haha kind offer. Will pm you
latest report
Interesting to read all this about boots, unfortunately, ski tour boots can be great on one ski tour and then be a PITA on another.

I'm fine in cold temps as my feet do not sweat too much, so I can be touring as now through to March without a problem and then as feet get sweaty so there's the blister issue.

I'm on my second pair of MTN Lab boots, and bearing in mind I'm skiing most days and touring three / four times a week they do get a lot of use!

I opted for a second pair as my feet have no issues (apart from sweaty blisters), and that's because previously I had the shells moulded to allow for ankle bone spurs/bunions etc and with a second pair the shop repeated what my Boot Doctor had initially done to my first, that said it still took two attempts to get them right.

Unfortunately, many people are not fortunate to be able to spend time on getting their boots right as they arrive in resort and get straight into it as it were.

This is a feature on what a good boot doctor can do for your feet and boots!
https://stylealtitude.com/ski-boot-problems.html
latest report
@zzz, @Dabber, thanks for your useful posts. Both the Ranger and Zero-G sound like exactly what I’m looking for fit permitting!
snow conditions
@BobinCH I am on Maestrale for 5 years now and I swear by them
snow conditions
@BobinCH, I have REALLY wide feet and bunions, Scarpa Maestrale all the way for me with minimal tweaking Very Happy
ski holidays
@BobinCH, I have literally just got home from visiting profeet for new boots to replace my 11 year old Speedmachine 12. I ended up buying some Technica Cochise 130. I wanted a one-boot quiver that has dynafit holes for touring in my new Salomon S/Lab bindings but could also fit my existing downhill bindings.

The fit is very close to the speedmachine as technica and nordica are same company and have some commanalities. They have a normal alpine sole but are rubber from vibram to provide a better level of grip. They are mid weight (@2kg per boot) which is fine for me as no aspirations to be a mountain goat. They do more flexible that the speedmachine 12 (120 flex) as they have a walk mode - I don’t mind as I like progressive flex. I tried on Stryders and found they were too bulky and roomy especially on top of the ankle and much more downhill focussed instead of a hybrid like the Coshise. Hopefully they will live up to expectations when I get them on snow.
latest report
Had to giggle today, a friend who is one of the top female skiers in La Grave (stronger than many a man no BS), asked if she could join us touring as she knew we'd be going out, and she just loves to be out in the mountains if she can regardless of skiing with a couple of old farts Laughing

So she meets us in the car park, and starts talking about her new boots, how one is a bit tight and maybe needs some shell adjustment, and hey what boots were they, MTN Lab Cool

She said that she found them to be the best for the up if you want a good pair for the descent and general day to day La Grave skiing.
snow conditions
@BobinCH, like you I have wide fore feet. Hopefully they’ll suit you well.

@Ozboy, Cochise, nice boot but not sure it qualifies as a light touring boot
ski holidays
@zzz, “ They are my only boots.”

Which goes some way, perhaps, to explaining the odd looks you get down the pub watching the footie?

P.S. although it is a decision entirely down to Nikolas the boot fitter, I am eyeing up some new boots, but they have these funny holes in the toes...
snow report
zzz wrote:

They are a good mid-weight. I am no light-weight myself and built to go down rather than up. Point I was trying to make was they are a comparable fit moving from speedmachines. Long 34 days of waiting looking at my shiny new boots, and snowy webcams, before skiing.
ski holidays
Scott Superguides are very comfy for my wide forefoot, but really a bit too roomy at the back for my narrow heels. They're okay now I've stuck some bits of padding on to the inners but will always be a wee bit sloppy on me. Otherwise a cracking good pair of boots, light, stiff enough for piste skiing on 108mm wide skis and the walk mode works well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zzz wrote:

Léo Slemett did this on the Tecnica Zero-G’s and said they were fine. He’s only a light fellow but was still skiing some steep slopes at high speed! I’m impressed. Bit worried about the 99mm last though... it was mentioned by one of the testers on the Blister review below

from
https://vimeo.com/ondemand/hunza

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2018-2019-tecnica-zero-g-tour-pro
snow report
@BobinCH, you not out on the hill today ???

I have an excuse, blistered feet (see above about sweaty feet), have managed five sorties so far past week or so at easy pace, yesterday faster pace on my own and as I alluded to above, though only thought they were hot spots hence I didn't stop and inspect rolling eyes
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
zzz wrote:

Léo Slemett did this on the Tecnica Zero-G’s and said they were fine. He’s only a light fellow but was still skiing some steep slopes at high speed! I’m impressed. Bit worried about the 99mm last though... it was mentioned by one of the testers on the Blister review below

from
https://vimeo.com/ondemand/hunza

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2018-2019-tecnica-zero-g-tour-pro

Apologies if I have lost track of this thread. My old Speedmachines have a last off 100 and technica last is 99 mm and not noticed any difference on dry land but not yet skied them. It looks like lighter boots have thinner liners which should provide more space up front on the same last. My ankles which are quite things are firmly held in place.
snow conditions
@BobinCH, yeah, I slightly regret going for the Lange Freetour 130 over the Zero G. The Zero G seems to be 500g lighter per foot than the Lange for not much difference in performance. I would not worry too much about the 99mm last provided the overall fit is ok. Heat gun and patience should fix that. Getting them cheap is going to be nigh on impossible, mind.

Worth pointing out that Slemmet is on a pretty light set up. He's looking at 1350g for the boots, 250 g or so for bindings and then 2050 for the ski. So I'd guess he's moving 3650g or so per foot minus skins. That would have been a reasonable multi day tour weight a decade ago (think back to guides on Rossi b3s with a freeride pro and Scarpa spirit 4s or something like that.).
ski holidays
Visit to boot fitter clarified things a bit. Big fan of the zero-g which saves weight with a very minimalist liner. Ok for the PdG and light skis but he recommended a custom liner for driving bigger skis. Also recommended the Scott Super Guide Carbon (new design this year?) and Scarpa Maestrale. All customizable for width, pick based on fit for foot height. Not impressed by Lupo air. On skis warned about durability on Kaestle Tx98 and recommended Scott Speedguide 95 (better in powder) or Blizzard Zero-g 95 (better on hard pack/steeps). Also suggested Fritschi Xenic over Marker Alpinist or ATK 12. This could get expensive...
snow report
@BobinCH, was looking at the Xenic too, pretty good for the money
ski holidays
@BobinCH, I found the Technica a way better boot than the Maestral rs in the descent. The flex to my mind is more like a regular alpine boot. I couldn’t honestly notice much difference in the climb. After much deliberation I bought the Scout which has a slightly softer flex over the pro but I only weigh 65kgs.

Ski wise I only ski a Blizzard zero-g 85 so it’s a pretty light set up. It works well though and if you’re racing it’s a really good compromise. The skis are of course narrower than most but are great in all but the crappiest snow.

I am however interested in a slightly wider touring ski. If anyone has a suggestion for a lightweight touring ski between 90 and 95mm underfoot that skis well at 175-180cm could you let me know.
latest report
@zzz, Kastle tx range is excellent
snow report
@BobinCH, skied / toured the tx 98 for last two years , maybe only 20 days total , but in early and late season and they've stood up to all conditions really well , some great deals to be had on earlier models to keep cost down , but both of your alternatives are good skis for sure , the xenic does look good .
ski holidays
@KenX, same wide feet and bunions. Just got a new pair of maestral RS. Only done a day and a half in them (piste and off mixed), but they're excellent, feel solid and very stiff for tourer, excellent engagement with the ski. Getting them blown out (really really wide feet, innit) before I give them a go uphill.
snow report
@BobinCH, mostly based on @zzz’s enthusiasm, and cos I’m underemployed and living in Cham (ergo wanted to be able to take advantage of early morning calls), and as I really wanted a one boot quiver, I acquired Z-G Tour Pros on Monday ... having been in full on, (latterly 92mm last, with a lot of punching out) (alpine) race boots since, oh, 1985?

Initial impressions, other than being a bit upright, they ski absolutely as well downhill as I need today.

If I was still 23 I might not have that opinion... but today? I do.

Will be hopefully having a couple of fast piste days next week so we’ll test further then.
snow conditions
@under a new name, stop messing about and try them out on some moguls with your 215cm race skis and report back...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy