Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New here!

Poster: A snowHead
Hello!

I am a first time skier. I have been taking lessons at a outdoor ski school in Surrey for some time now. I have booked a two week family ski trip to a Pennsylvanian ski resort next November. I cannot wait. Seriously.

But I am nervous. How do I prepare? Suggestions and tips are welcome. My plan is to finetune my skills on the nursery or first time skiers slope as I like to call it. I will also be taking lessons on my vacation as well. I literally have no idea what to expect though.

Where do I buy equipment? As well as visiting the ski resort’s own equipment rental shop, I will also look online. Wish me luck! This is my first time ever trying to ski. How much did you pay for lessons?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@leveloneskier, welcome to snowHeads! I'm afraid I can't help you on what to expect in Pennsylvania in November, as I've never skied there. But I'm sure that your outdoor lessons in Surrey will stand you in excellent stead.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome.

Which resort?

Camelback?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@leveloneskier, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Keep up this level of enthusiasm and engagement and you will be requesting a name change in no time Very Happy

I expect you will get lots of advice to pick through on here.

You're already doing the right thing to prepare - keep taking lessons. If you can get up to Hemel (least busy in the summer months) that will give you a chance to ski on snow.

In terms of equipment, it might a good idea to rent for the time being until your skills develop.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This is the one we are going to https://www.7springs.com/mountain/snow-report/
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
some resorts now have hire shops with the tech to take a image of your foot and find the perfect ski boot for you find them
I cannot tell you how important it is to find the perfect fitting boot
I have been on holiday with people that went to the first shop , in a rush and had problems half the week
If you love skiing and you are going to go back again invest in your own pair
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you!

I am a pretty short person. How do I find a pair of boots for me that will actually fit?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
there are tonnes of boots in every shop people will have the same size feet as you lol
Just listen to the person who's fitting them with you , to get the feeling you want
or as i said look for a shop with the modern tech that takes an image of your foot for the perfect boot
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
that image would then be stored world wide in all that companys stores for future reference
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How did you find a ski instructor?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have know knowledge of the place you are going , so google and look at reviews reputation
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@leveloneskier, it might be worth a double check on the dates if you are going next November. Because, from the info in your link, for this year at least, the resort doesn’t open until tomorrow (6/12).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good point!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@leveloneskier, Welcome to Snowheads. Essential preparation at this moment? Continue with your lessons, but forget about anything else until summer 2020 Laughing
ski holidays
@leveloneskier, welcome to Shs.

I do have one question, are you "guaranteed" that they'll be open? Your link suggests that they are opening this season tomorrow, which isn't November ...

Otherwise it looks nice - very American and organised.

Equipment: rent skis, boots and poles. The shop will advise. Good starter clothing can be found at e.g. Decathlon.

Ski School: smaller US resorts usually only have one. Lessons before as you have discovered are an excellent idea.

@maceman, There is almost zero chance that any shop will have the "perfect boot for your feet" in their fleet. A reasonably well fitting one is a good start... scanning your feet is techno-overkill (or an attempt to replace having to hire good, experienced staff)...
snow conditions
Welcome to SH.

Word of warning.... it’s a slippery slope (pun intended). I think if anything could cause a divorce in my marriage... it’d be skiing. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
I meant November of 2020.
snow report
leveloneskier wrote:
I meant November of 2020.

The theory is that as the resort wasn't open in Nov 2019 it probably won't be open in Nov 2020.
ski holidays
@leveloneskier, I'm just a bit concerned about the amount of snowfall in Seven Springs in November. This web page suggests that generally, there isn't any.
https://www.onthesnow.co.uk/pennsylvania/seven-springs/historical-snowfall.html
latest report
I’ll find another one then! Suggestions welcome.
snow report
@leveloneskier, confused...you said in the first post you had already booked?

Does it have to be America? Does it have to be November? I wouldn't be booking anything an advance for November.

What made you choose Pennsylvania?
ski holidays
I was born there.

Not yet. I meant that I had booked flights only. And no it does not.
latest report
I'm confused too.
snow report
@leveloneskier, doesn't have to be america? Doesnt have to be November?
snow report
Would think that November will be hit and miss on there being snow and resorts open anywhere across the USA.
They do hope to be open for thanksgiving weekend but then usually shut till the next weekend. (That is a generalisation )
I learnt to ski in the USA in 04/05 and have to say its a different experience to Europe (not in a bad way)
Remember it can be much colder than Europe.
As for clothing/equipment then buying in the usa always was much cheaper but wasnt so much on my last trip in 2017.
However some brands like Spyder that are very pricey here are much cheaper over there.
I love the usa and the way resorts are.

The only downside nowadays is cost due to the weak pound
snow conditions
@leveloneskier, one thing to add that maybe isn't obvious is try to get reasonably fit (if you aren't already). An hour on a carpet might feel quite like the first hour on snow but that only gets you to 10am. There's plenty of online advice on the right exercises.
snow report
leveloneskier wrote:
This is the one we are going to https://www.7springs.com/mountain/snow-report/

They normally only open on weekends in Nov or early Dec.

They are often snowfree in Nov.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How about Easter 2020? Probably slightly inland rather than closer to coast; Wyoming? (On phone, can’t see now).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy