Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance- Continuity of Cover

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I hope this is at least slightly different to earlier insurance threads, so here goes...

I get 30 days free (Ha ha ha) cover with my bank via AXA. I will be skiing for 33 days this season, so I called and asked for an extension. No dice- didn't even offer me a humumgous premium hike which really surprised me.

I plan to do 6 days in January and 27 in March- the January trip being a cheeky ad-on after planning the month. They are the skiing days. The question:

Can I just get insurance for the 26th, 27th and 28th of January; and then carry on regardless? Or is that too simple.
Will AXA contend that any travel days 'count' under the winter sports cover; or is that just 'travel'?

Of course I could ask AXA, but CG's Rule 1 is, never ask a question if you think you might not like the answer; and remembering that all calls are recorded!

I'm sure some would just say, "Three extra days, stuff it". But actually I've made 2 significant claims in the last three years due to bereavements at home and AXA were great, so I want to play it straight. Mrs Golf would go hairless anyway, she's a 'rules' gal!

Any thoughts? Ta
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Charliegolf, yes you can get a stand alone single trip policy for the 3 days but i would tell Axa you are doing that and you do not wish those 3 days to be covered by them

It will almost certainly be ski days
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@holidayloverxx, cheers for that.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would ring up and ask the same question again, and when they basically tell you the same answer, then ask them if you can purchase from them a stand alone policy for the extra 3 days? If they say no, then inform them that will entail you having to go elsewhere for the cover, and ask them to confirm that it will have no effect in the cover you currently have with them in place for the other 30 days?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can you not purchase a single trip policy to cover the 6 days in January - in the unlikely event something does go wrong with the first trip and you have to make a claim you can decide to claim against the single trip policy or use AXA if the reason is severe enough

If the first trip goes ahead with no problems, then you have AXA to use without worry on the second?

By purchasing a single trip insurance policy for January you could argue and have peace of mind that if something happened on the longer trip in March you can always say you specifically bought the single trip policy to cover those dates and not use the AXA one
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Take out the insurance offered with the lift pass on the January trip. We should still be in the EU then so your EHIC will still be valid.

Mind you AXA could still claim you have been skiing for more than 30 days hence invalidate any insurance. I have always wondered what they actually mean by the 30 days winter sport cover. Let us say you are in Bulgaria for a couple weeks and decide to going skiing for a weekend. Is it 14 days winter sports or 2?

My expereince in making a claim with AXA was not great. I had an accident skiing and paid for the recovery and medical treetment. I made a claim in euros and expected to be paid back in euros or at least at the commercial exchange rate. AXA chose to pay me back in pounds using their own exchange rate; effectively taking £50 of my money for themselves. They would not respond to my correspondance.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'll first point out that I have never claimed off a travel insurance policy once and only ever made 1 home insurance policy claim (roof tiles fell off in a storm) and have never even considered any cynical (possibly fraudulent) type claims that some folk use if they want to try recover some of their insurance costs (I used to work with someone who made a claim every year for something or other he managed to break or lose).....

Anyway.

Go on the first trip, if you don't need to use the insurance then go on the second trip. You could quite probably and legitimately argue that for a cheap shortish break you didn't need the insurance because.

A. The cost was so low it would negate the cost of insurance
B. You had 'insurance' with the lift pass, as mentioned above which covers the medical/rescue side of things.

Then go on the second 27 day trip which is within the 30 day limit.

Obviously this would only apply if you don't have to inform the company of every trip in advance and in the event you needed to claim on the first, shorter trip then you would need to find a top-up policy to cover the additional days for the second trip.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd also ask myself "If my insurer is being difficult regards extending the cover, at my cost, what does this tell me about how they'll treat an actual claim?" When you read case-studies of actual claims on this and other forums, you realise just how important the small detail is when a claim is submitted. Often to a subcontracted claims handler or claims handling subsidiary targeted on saving as much money as possible. So, are you sure that the cover you get 'free' at the moment is truly comprehensive and meets your expectations? If the answer is 'no' then basically, forget about the AxA cover and get something that meets your needs.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IME (I've asked the same question of a couple) they don't do continuity of cover.

Your whole trip has to be covered under the one policy.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can't give a definitive answer, but can at least share what I learnt. Our situation is that we had taken an annual travel insurance covering 17 days winter sports (we have regularly been doing 2 weeks per year) before we decided to buy our own apartment in the alps and ski a lot more.

I phoned our company who weren't massively helpful, but at least clarified that they covered holidays from departure to return to our UK home. Basically that means you couldn't just get cover for the last 3 days. But they did say that if, say, we did two one-week trips that covered 16 days (what they are saying, their winter sports cover is not just for days on the slopes but days spent travelling each way) then we couldn't count their 17th day, we would have to have separate cover for the whole of the next trip.

In our current situation (both now retired, with an apartment waiting for us to visit) we are probably not going to go on neat week visits since we will work round economic air fares, so we will have to be careful with the counting and ensure we take another insurance when necessary. And when the current insurance expires, look for a replacement with a lot more cover. I suspect suggestions are somewhere on this forum, I just need to do a good search come the end of April.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm just looking at the Revolut cover. This what it says: "Revolut’s Pay-per-Day overseas medical insurance uses geolocation technology so you only get charged for the days that you are actually abroad, with medical and dental coverage from as little as £1.00 per day."
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy