Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2019 / 2020 Avalanche Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@Steilhang, well perhaps if you had said that in your first reply it would have been better for everybody on snowheads.

I suppose we need to see a before picture the event to see if there was any glide cracks or reptations to see if there was any sign to foretell this avalanche. From reading I would argue that they are not impossible to predict, very difficult yes. Certainly an area where more research is required. And certainly unusual at this time of year.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@chocksaway, thanks for the advice. I shall try to use it as guidance in future dealings with @Whitegold. Btw, the fact that it was a Gleitschneelawine was only made known about a day after the event, so prior to that, and in the absence of any knowledge at all about the series of events that lead to the accident, I guess calling the piste control people incompetent / not doing their job was the correct way to call it.

rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Steilhang, I'd be very surprised if that was the first time that that slope has ever gone?

And what is it about a Gleitschneelawine that makes bombing ineffective?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@spyderjon, same problem they had in St. Anton / Happy Valley couple of seasons ago. Bombing only triggers about 30% of these slopes.
Was having a discussion with one of the piste patrollers in Kleinwalsertal last summer. He said the problem is that there are ever fewer hill farmers with sheep & goats to keep the grass short, hence snow glides on the long grass in Winter. Sounds plausible I guess.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@spyderjon, I'm not sure exactly where that slope is but there is a large chunk of the resort that is new. They may not understand it as well as they understand the Gemstock, for example.

Andermatt gets more snow than anywhere else in Switzerland. A combination of that, warm ground and sunny aspects is going to produce glide crack. I'd imagine this one is going to be carefully studied given the size of it and the fact that it overran a piste.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/two-german-girls-among-three-killed-in-italy-avalanche
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Seems like another piste avalanche.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Italy

Total Dead in Last Week

snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Steilhang, Can you give more details on the source that characterized the Andermatt avalanche as a Glide one? Thanks!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Engelberg, here's one report. There are lots.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tagesanzeiger.ch/28315065

Another.

https://www.srf.ch/news/schweiz/lawinenabgang-in-andermatt-es-darf-keinen-druck-geben-pisten-zu-oeffnen
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Steilhang, Thanks! Interesting that they did not build avalanche barriers above the trail.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
@davidof, not too sure what point you're trying to make.

There is a weak layer in the snowpack along the French/Italian border, that layer is not going away and they don't want avalanches.

whats caused the weak layer?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Two avalanches over open pistes. These are traditionally rare. I remember a concerned poster on here being told it never happens though I recall an incident in ischgl a couple of years back and an incident last year that killed an instructor that was caught on camera.

Two seven year old girls being killed on an open piste is something that will send a chill down the spine of many on here. I hope the drive into the resort still remains statistically more dangerous.

Any explanation in terms of snow pack of why it might be worse this year?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@8611, probably something to do with fact it was very mild right into November and ground was very warm as 1st snows fell so the bottom of the snowpack just never really bonded properly to ground. In previous years when the snowpack remained thin for long time this lead to depth hoar problem, maybe not such an issue this year as so much snow fell quite early, but the "glide" issue at the very bottom remains. Am I right both avalanches you refer to were glide, not slab, avalanches?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Piste security have a similar dilemma to the mayor in Jaws.
snow conditions
It’s all to do with the weather, obviously, and, in particular, the temperature gradient within the snowpack.

https://avalanche.org/avalanche-encyclopedia/faceted-snow/

Moisture is drawn towards warmth. (Warm air can hold more moisture than cold.) If the air temperature rises significantly soon after the first snowfall then moisture can be drawn out of the ground into the lower layers of snow. This can end up as beads like a layer of frozen peas - or ball bearings - next to the ground. With such low friction, it takes very little to set the overlying snowpack on its way down the hill.

Well, that’s my very rough understanding. I’m sure some expert will be along soon to correct me.
snow conditions
I don't know if other areas offer this information, but in Tirol/South Tirol you can get the snow profile charts for all the different stations. It is linked from the avalanche bulletin: https://avalanche.report/bulletin/latest (top menus, Snow & Weather), or directly here: https://www.lawis.at/profile/
Zoom in on your preferred location and you can get a load of data including the snow profile pdf.

Interpreting said data is a little challenging, but I know some here are well versed in such things.
snow report
Woosh wrote:
https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/two-german-girls-among-three-killed-in-italy-avalanche

Seems like another piste avalanche.

Looks like they're investigating the possibility that it was triggered by others off-piste skiing: LINK
ski holidays
That is highly suggestive. But yes, it's always easier to blame someone else, instead of evaluating whether you really made the right decision by opening the piste under the circumstances.
snow conditions
@peanuthead, I'm not sure. But the photos in andermatt certainly didn't show snow down to the grass. So maybe the weak layer referred to by @altis.

But surely this should be factored into the piste management? And slopes above pistes bombed? One of the worrying things is that i've always regarded slopes above pistes as being fair game for off piste, on the clearly naive basis that they must be maintained so they aren't a slide risk in order to protect the piste below. The thought of actually triggering a slide that endangers others is unnerving.
ski holidays
8611 wrote:
@peanuthead, ...One of the worrying things is that i've always regarded slopes above pistes as being fair game for off piste, on the clearly naive basis that they must be maintained so they aren't a slide risk in order to protect the piste below. ...

I'd also thought that.
ski holidays
latest report
Wet snow avalanches in Jan Shocked
latest report
@BobinCH, Wow
ski holidays
In bounds avi in Idaho. Kills two.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/2nd-skier-found-dead-avalanche-151615574.html

KELLOGG, Idaho (AP) — An Idaho ski resort was closed on Wednesday, a day after a series of avalanches killed two skiers and injured five others.

Silver Mountain Resort spokesman Gus Colburn said all the skiers in the area of the avalanches Tuesday morning were believed to be accounted for.

The names of the victims have not been released.

The resort said what appeared to be a series of three avalanches occurred about 11 a.m. on Wardner Peak, an area of the resort where the ski runs are rated at the highest difficulty level.

The runs had just been opened for a short period after crews performed avalanche control blasting in the area Tuesday morning, using explosives to trigger avalanches in hopes of leaving only the stable snow layers on the runs, officials said.
snow report
third body recovered from Silver Mtn.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/air-dwindling-avalanche-survivor-faced-184424844.html
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Wet snow avalanches in Jan Shocked

Wow that looks big. how steep is the slope at the crown? Looks quite shallow but photos tend to flatten the terrain. Good illustration as to why one should one should avoid gullies when off-piste.
snow conditions
It’s pretty steep. Those faces always go but usually in March / April with big wet snow slides all the way down to Carrefour.

Looks like it went just above the (popular) traverse line. Assume it was slow but get caught in that and you’d be in trouble...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kicking off in Verbier. Avalanches in Creblet and under Funispace with people buried Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
https://www.lenouvelliste.ch/articles/valais/canton/hors-piste-deux-avalanches-emportent-trois-personnes-a-verbier-904260

Just found this article. It seems they were able to escape but with some injuries.
ski holidays
Big slide in Serre Che yesterday

I can't work out, exactly where it is Puzzled
latest report
DOn't have pics but if my French held up there were two avalanches in Les C yesterday. SOunds to me like they were in the steep-sided gulley under the Nant Rouge chair but hard to be sure.

funnily enough I gave a warning about this place earlier in the week in the EMB conditions thread...

https://www.ledauphine.com/faits-divers-justice/2020/01/30/montagne-haute-savoie-les-contamines-une-avalanche-emporte-un-skieur-recupere-par-les-pisteurs
snow report
@Weathercam, wow, that's quite some picture. Did the skier survive?
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
Big slide in Serre Che yesterday

I can't work out, exactly where it is Puzzled

The road is a classic terrain trap. The snowboarder? was lucky not to have been injured / buried.

Anyways, Roche Gauthier
snow conditions
Well it was where I thought it was, and yes Roche Gauthier, it used to be far more accessible when then old Balme chair was in situ.

It's quite a tough hike to get to where that skier came in, not one for the fainthearted, though I did see a skin track up from the Col de Mea to there, so suspect that might have been the route he took and talking to the liftie on the drag below they said it was a skier.

I have never seen a slide of that magnitude there before even with the controlled blasting and there were others today.

I did get closer and was difficult to ascertain the size of the crown.

@davidof, that road is only used by piste bashers that bash the ridge on the other side, tis most bizarre
snow report
Notable instability in a lot of zones around here right now - please be careful this weekend everyone!

Today in Kühtai:

https://lawinen.report/blog/lawinenwarndienst.blogspot.com/8996634785328343277

(Following photos from Ötz Mountain Rescue https://www.facebook.com/BergrettungOetz):

latest report
Account from the girls who got caught in Verbier
https://www.facebook.com/groups/verbiercommunity/permalink/1465460366952015/
ski holidays
@BobinCH,
Thanks for posting that link. Amazing read, glad they got out ok.
latest report
Another one in Attelas couloirs...
https://instagram.com/stories/timuraak/2233550427767951812?igshid=x1kiitrtv25c
latest report
3 dead in Japan over the last couple of days, separate incidents.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy