Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The £125 weekend.

Poster: A snowHead
With the snow looking so good & the need to burn leave days before end of the year, I have been tempted into a pre Christmas 3 day skiing weekend with the youngest. Chuffed to find out that flights for both of us & a hire car only came to £250, then found out that I still had 136 euro on my lift pass loyalty account, so the snow gods a smiling on me today.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Excellent - do you mind me asking more of the detail? Such as which resort you're going to etc. Always fancied doing something like this with my daughter, but whenever I've looked into it, always comes up ridiculously expensive
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rutlandchris, it was just a routine easyjet flight to Geneva (£130 for both return) & the hire car via easyjet seemed good value (£120), I always find it frustrating that transfers cost the same as flights, sometimes more!
Granted I don't have accommodation costs but even looking at Airbnb you can get a studio for sub £40 per night.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jonny996, result! How many spaces have you got for guests Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers for the reply - have a great time
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Jonny996, Dont forget UK airport parking..... wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jonny996, well done that man. Pre-Christmas skiiing is ace. Clear slopes and no queues. Meteo Alps mentioned big dumps at lower levels in our area on Monday and Tuesday.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Markymark29, I am a man with a plan, office is 2 tram stops from airport so guess where my car is getting left
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonny996 wrote:
@Markymark29, I am a man with a plan, office is 2 tram stops from airport so guess where my car is getting left

Glasgow? Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was tracking this flight at £37 return a few weeks ago!

Liverpool to Geneva Wed, 18 Dec–Sun, 22 Dec
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonny996 wrote:
With the snow looking so good & the need to burn leave days before end of the year, I have been tempted into a pre Christmas 3 day skiing weekend with the youngest. Chuffed to find out that flights for both of us & a hire car only came to £250, then found out that I still had 136 euro on my lift pass loyalty account, so the snow gods a smiling on me today.

Is that flying from Edinburgh?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
yes, early on 18th ski, 19, 20 & 21 & 21.00 flight back
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonny996 wrote:
yes, early on 18th ski, 19, 20 & 21 & 21.00 flight back

Thanks. Interested in doing something similar from Edinburgh with our twins but it can't be for too long as it's an exam year.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@McKenzie, snap that’s why it’s just me and youngest, big one is studying
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Think you need to amortise the cost of the ski appt before you boast too much wink
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes,
+1
Surely you need to add in annual charges of French taxes, insurance, Co-prop charges, utility bills & mortgage (assuming you have one) into this. Ok, there may be property value increases, however subject to exchange rates & CGT, things seem to level out (or even go negative) somewhat.

@Jonny996, I understand the the desire to own to own ski property for a mountain lifestyle ( I owned in St Gervais between 1995 & 2008) however your view of a £125 weekend is mis-calculated.
That said, have a great weekend,
ski holidays
On that basis my weekend will be free :- Live here, season pass, etc wink
ski holidays
We've booked Easyjet EDI to GVA for 16th Dec for £78 pp return.

5.5 days skiing in the 3 Valleys seemed too good an opportunity to miss! Very Happy
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Think you need to amortise the cost of the ski appt before you boast too much wink

Please explain that to the layman/non- accountant. What's amortisarion?

Either way, I think he's had a cheap trip! Very Happy
snow report
Bergmeister wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

Please explain that to the layman/non- accountant. What's amortisarion?

Either way, I think he's had a cheap trip! Very Happy

It's basically saying, the OP isn't really quoting the full cost of the trip, as they're not considering the cost of their apartment in this.

Whilst this specific weekend has cost £125, for flights and car hire, there's also the yearly running costs of owning an apartment, plus the original purchase price, etc etc.

Either way, I wish I was on a similar trip! Toofy Grin

6 weeks to the day for my 1st of 2 trips this season! Very Happy
ski holidays
edit: amortisation... rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:

Whilst this specific weekend has cost £125, for flights and car hire, there's also the yearly running costs of owning an apartment, plus the original purchase price, etc etc.

Yes but they have to paid anyway. So the cost of going for the weekend is x+125 cost of not going is x so cost of weekend is (x+125-x)=125

However I think I beat it with my 12 day trip at just over £100 per person. Flights came in at £62 each, train from Geneva to Bourg st Maurice £53 giving a total cost of £115, funicular upto Les Arcs included on season pass. I could have got it for £20 less if I'd taken a later flight, but that would have got me stranded at Bourg at midnight.
snow conditions
You'll be getting us Scots a reputation!
ski holidays
McKenzie wrote:
I married a Scot. Best decision I ever made!
ski holidays
If I could have lined mine up to miss the works Christmas party it would have been virtually free.
There has to be a channel 5 program in this "bargin loving scots in the snow"
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
McKenzie wrote:
I married a Scot. Best decision I ever made!

Mrs Rabbie says the same .. alledgedly Toofy Grin
latest report
Jonny996 wrote:
If I could have lined mine up to miss the works Christmas party it would have been virtually free.
There has to be a channel 5 program in this "bargin loving scots in the snow"

I hitched most of the way to Tignes in the early 80's
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy