Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Not another helmet debate!

Poster: A snowHead
Some personal thoughts on whether to wear a helmet:-

1 I often see people who wear a helmet also smoke. Which is more likely to kill them, smoking or skiing without a helmet?

2 I often see people drinking alcohol on the mountain who then put on their helmet and go skiing. If they were that concerned about safety would they drink alcohol before skiing?

3 People travel in cars and cross the road but don't wear a helmet. I wonder what is statistically more likely to kill them, skiing without a helmet or travelling in a car or crossing the road without a helmet?

4 A helmet reduces your hearing, making it more difficult to hear others approaching from behind or the side.

5 Goggles and helmets reduce peripheral vision, not ideal from a safety perspective.

6 Helmets and goggles reduce the sensation of speed and also make some people ski/board more aggressively.

7 Since most people have been wearing helmets the number of fatalities through head injuries has statistically not reduced.

8 The chief medical doctor at Tignes Medical Centre told me that since the introduction of helmets the number of injuries has increased, particularly back injuries.

9 I have suffered whiplash twice due to falling backwards when wearing a helmet. I am convinced I would not have gotten injured had I not been wearing a helmet because my head would not have hit the ground. A helmet significantly increases the size of the head.

Personally, I wear a helmet when I am skiing gates, backcountry and when the weather/visibility is bad. If the weather is good and I am on piste then I choose not to wear a helmet because I think that on balance in those conditions it is overall safer not to.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can't see how wearing a helmet had any negative effects despite what you list above. my helmet doesn't effect my hearing anymore than a woolley hat. anyone who says a helmet isn't worth it has never wiped out at 50mph or fallen off a rail head first.

for me a helmet is a no brainer
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
100% of people who don't smoke die.

100% of people who wear helmets die.

I quite like it here on Earth. I don't smoke and wear a helmet.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't know of a better place to park my goggles without them getting misted up from my sweaty forehead. There may be some benefit other than this, but that is enough for me.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh God help us no!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cowdoo troll post.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
some personal thoughts

your a helmet
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The simple answer, until it becomes compulsory (via insurance before statute probably), is to suit yer 'kin self! Sorted.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If someone is going to crash into me from behind and crack the back of my head with their forehead, I'd much rather they did it to my helmet. Ditto if I decide to square up to a tree.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
waitrose wrote:
Some personal thoughts on whether to wear a helmet:-

1 I often see people who wear a helmet also smoke. Which is more likely to kill them, smoking or skiing without a helmet?
Smoking

2 I often see people drinking alcohol on the mountain who then put on their helmet and go skiing. If they were that concerned about safety would they drink alcohol before skiing?
maybe, maybe not

3 People travel in cars and cross the road but don't wear a helmet. I wonder what is statistically more likely to kill them, skiing without a helmet or travelling in a car or crossing the road without a helmet?
driving or crossing the road

4 A helmet reduces your hearing, making it more difficult to hear others approaching from behind or the side.
agreed

5 Goggles and helmets reduce peripheral vision, not ideal from a safety perspective.
your wearing the wrong goggles

6 Helmets and goggles reduce the sensation of speed and also make some people ski/board more aggressively.
Hmmmmmm

7 Since most people have been wearing helmets the number of fatalities through head injuries has statistically not reduced.
Take your word for it, who could be bothered to check?

8 The chief medical doctor at Tignes Medical Centre told me that since the introduction of helmets the number of injuries has increased, particularly back injuries.
Whats her name?

9 I have suffered whiplash twice due to falling backwards when wearing a helmet. I am convinced I would not have gotten injured had I not been wearing a helmet because my head would not have hit the ground. A helmet significantly increases the size of the head.
Bet you are

Personally, I wear a helmet when I am skiing gates, backcountry and when the weather/visibility is bad. If the weather is good and I am on piste then I choose not to wear a helmet because I think that on balance in those conditions it is overall safer not to.

Ah, so you just wanted an argument?

I am just back from Aldi - I hate Waitrose
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Maybe waitrose had a black friday special on strawman arguments.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
"is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour? " - Monty Python
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not keen on permanent brain damage and vegetable state. Don't smoke, but everything else in moderation is the way to go. The worst thing you can do for your health is not get 8 hours sleep per night on average. Get this right first Toofy Grin (Mathew Walker convert)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
p.s. I wear a helmet but did not for my first 40 years on the slopes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Timc - no it isnt
latest report
Nice
snow report
Who needs Stan when we can have this
ski holidays
Convincing someone against wearing a helmet is like banging your head against a wall.
latest report
king key wrote:
Convincing someone against wearing a helmet is like banging your head against a wall.

A good way to convince someone to wear a helmet is to bang their head against a wall Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
king key wrote:

Why would you want to convince someone to wear a helmet or not? Isn't that their choice?
ski holidays
Roguevfr wrote:
cowdoo troll post.

+1
latest report
@twoodwar,
"It's just contradiction!"
snow report
No it isn't.
snow conditions
Timc wrote:
@twoodwar,
"It's just contradiction!"

No it's not.
snow conditions
NO it isn’t or yes it is!
snow report
Well! it CAN be!
snow report
I really hate wearing a helmet, I've got by for 40 years without wearing one.

The first time I ever saw skiers wearing helmets it was at SnowBird probably back in 1998.
All the skiers there were wearing black outfits and black helmets and most were wearing rucksacks on their backs and sucking through tubes.

I thought it was sad state of affairs to see this army of black ants looking miserable in the dry state of Utah.

But I succumbed to wearing a helmet in the end, I don't know exactly why, because I still hate it and all that goes with it.
It was a long time before I decided googles were a good idea too.

Anyway I dare not ski without a helmet now, or I should say I dare not ride a chair lift without one.

I had an almighty bang on the back of the helmet from a chair lift in Orelle last spring.
I felt I was seeing stars and would have been the end of me.

So I'll put up with wearing one now.
snow conditions
DrLawn we both went 40 years without wearing one, and survived. There must be a T Shirt. I would not do out without one now though. A T bar hitting me would have put me flake out without one. Just shrugged it off. I also remember Liam Nesson's wifes tragic end, and two years ago saw a terrible fall in Zermatt by a women just getting off the train in Gornergrat. She would have been out cold without a helmet, but was simply shaken, and carried on with her day. They are also very warm!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't, my wife does, who cares?
latest report
I spent a long time surviving without a helmet but joined the masses about 4 years ago ...I took a fall in January and the helmet I was wearing had a massive dint in it ..I don't remember the fall and I ended up in hospital in Cavalese (great) with concussion ...How would I hve been without a helmet ..I don't know ..but i won't be without one again!
ski holidays
twoodwar wrote:
saw a terrible fall in Zermatt by a women just getting off the train in Gornergrat. She would have been out cold without a helmet,

Blimey, wearing a helmet on the train, that's commitment!
latest report
BUT, ...... Goggles or Visor? [legs it for the stand]
snow conditions
Needless to say martinm, at Gornergrat you are pretty much off the train and on the slopes. Just think of it as a chair lift but rather bigger
snow conditions
@Ghost Dog good question ..
I'd like to try a helmet with a visor, I wear varifocal glasses ...
but is this getting even more needles clobber involved in my skiing?

It does not seem that long ago that I didn't think goggles were necessary.
I remember saying, "If the weather is bad enough to need goggles I don't want to be out there."

What changed my mind?
Getting stuck on the glacier between Zermatt and Cervinia.
The wind was so strong it was blowing us back up the slope, and our sunglasses were no protection against the bullets of ice blowing up the slopes.

It was a fabulous day when we set off, looking forward to a great sunny lunch in Italy.
snow report
@DrLawn, it’s easy enough to carry both goggles and sunglasses and wear whichever one is best for the conditions. In fact, you probably need to carry both unless you want to look like the muppet who has to wear goggles when outside a mountain restaurant in the sunshine!
latest report
I should report this subject line to Trading Standards.
latest report
1 Smoking will likely kill you eventually. It’s highly addictive though, smokers enjoy smoking but I doubt there’s too many that would if they could put them away and forget about it. Skiing without a helmet could kill you that day and it’s no hassle to wear one so why not.

2 They’re on holiday at the end of it. Ye it puts them at risk but it’s a choice. It doesn’t take away from the enjoyment of the trip to wear a helmet so why not

3 Your more likely to die doing a daily activity than something you do rarely. It doesn’t mean the daily activity is more risky

4,5,6 - fair enough but i’d say these are marginal effects

7 I’d say it’s down to far more people skiing than ever. Faster lift systems, more people travelling, more people that didn’t grow up skiing skiing. People taking stupid risks for youtube videos.

8 Same point as 7, back injury wise, maybe get a lower profile helmet rather than those big round things

I’m fairly sure I wouldn’t be around if I never wore a ski helmet. I’d be in a bad state at best
ski holidays
I makes my mum feel better, knowing that l am wearing one.

Did I win the argument?
snow report
As usual with these threads, the OP hasn’t been back to answer any of the responses from learned colleagues. Helmets save lives.
snow report
Guns don't kill people, rappers do.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy