Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl - people’s views

Poster: A snowHead
Think this thread covers everything and majority reasonably align with my views. Ischgl has superb lift system and superb pistes (great ring of blacks). Good food and facilities on the mountain. St Anton lift system and pistes inferior. Too many brits (sorry brits). But off piste absolutely superb (albeit competition for tracks intense). Neither good value but Ischgl worth it, and Anton worth it for off piste and town charm. I found Ischgl charming too though.

Re kms - I keep meaning to spend a day tracking myself but I've little doubt you could effectively ski Ischgl out in 2 days.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’ll come back with my ‘apres trip’ views on ischgl in February.....from what I’ve read hear I don’t think I have much to worry about.....didn’t quite understand the ‘front bottom’ commmet however.....!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you like apres, Ischgl is hard to beat:-)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sneachta2013 wrote:
didn’t quite understand the ‘front bottom’ commmet however.....!

That would be the SH profanity auto-correct. I should have said "twits"...

If you like the Kitzloch and plan to return later in the week speak to Arnot the barman at the end of apres and you can reserve space (either a table or seats at the bar depending on group size).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skitech wrote:
Interesting reading this thread. Im off to Galtur in March (for the first time), so intend to ski Ischgl. Not bothered about nightlife. For those that know, how does the area compare to Kitzbuhel, where Ive skied for the last 9 trips.

Have ski-ed Kitz many times and am a big fan. Just back from Ischgl which really impressed me.. There is about a day/2 of skiing in Galtur but you really want to cover ground headover to Ischg which is on the same ski-pass. Most of the pistes are over 2000m. All very well linked and easy to get around. Pretty much all red slopes. If you like the cruising in Kitz you will have a ball.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you're going to that part of Alps:
St Anton is:
1 easier to get to
2. Cheaper
3. You don't have to pay for tap water
4. You don't have sick feeling in stomach every day by how much you been ripped off
5. No bottleneck or 30 minute queue in morning to get up mountain
6. Definitely better off piste
7. Better ski routes
8. Ischgl tips it for pistes if only considering St Anton, not when you include Lech

If st Anton has worked, why fix what's broken. Unless its December or April as Ishcgl has higher elevation
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@peanuthead, pretty much sums it up!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dr John wrote:
I'm in the same camp as @munich_irish. The piste cruising is great, but the apres and town in general is dreadful, attracting the worst kind of loud brash aggressive euro-blokes.

I couldn't disagree more. All about opinions, I suppose...

We love both the town and the apres ski Very Happy

Its definitely worth skiing Kappl, See and Galtür as well, when you are there. We had an amazing powder day in See 3 years ago. Only 3 of us lapping the (marked) itinerary/off piste runs from the gondola in a foot of untracked powder! We were still getting fresh tracks after 3 pm. Very Happy Everybody else seemed content to stay on piste.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
peanuthead wrote:
St Anton is:
1 easier to get to
2. Cheaper
4. You don't have sick feeling in stomach every day by how much you been ripped off
7. Better ski routes
8. Ischgl tips it for pistes if only considering St Anton, not when you include Lech

If st Anton has worked, why fix what's broken. Unless its December or April as Ischgl has higher elevation

I like both places, but let me try to challenge you on that list:
1. Very much depends on where you are coming from - But ST. Anton is marginally easier to get to. I usually drive, and for me 20 minutes don't really matter, but you can take a train into Stanton, but have to get off in Landeck and take a bus for Ischgl. Marginal win for Stanton (if by train)
2. Not for the same standard of hotel - Actually i often find Stanton more expensive at times. Apres prices more or less the same.
3. Where in Ischgl do you pay for tap water? Never seen it!
4. I really don't notice there is a big difference in prices - but Ischgl is mostly 4-5 star hotels, and very few guesthouses. Food and apres about the same to me, but i am eager to learn if i am wrong.
5. Really? only lift with ques are the one from central square - I never use it, and the two others have 2 minute ques even at new year. One word: Flexenbahn!
6. have you ever used a guide in Ischgl? MORE in Stanton, but i am not agreing that it is so much better, and fewer people to compete against in Ischgl. If doing a season Stanton wins. For easy access and less competition Ischgl wins
7. Agree
8. I agree, and i do think it beats Lech

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 16-12-19 22:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DanishRider wrote:

1. Very much depends on where you are coming from - But ST. Anton is marginally easier to get to. I usually drive, and for me 20 minutes don't really matter, but you can take a train into Stanton, but have to get off in Landeck and take a bus for Ischgl. Marginal win for Stanton (if by train)
2. Not for the same standard of hotel - Actually i often find Stanton more expensive at times. Apres prices more or less the same.
4. I really don't notice there is a big difference in prices - but Ischgl is mostly 4-5 star hotels, and very few guesthouses. Food and apres about the same to me, but i am eager to learn if i am wrong.
5. Really? only lift with ques are the one from central square - I never use it, and the two others have 2 minute ques even at new year. One word: Flexenbahn!
6. have you ever used a guide in Ischgl? MORE in Stanton, but i am not i agree that it is so much better, and fewer people to compete against in Ischgl. If doing a season Stanton wins. For easy access and less competition Ischgl wins
7. Agree

Not even sure that 7 is true to be honest the routes in Ischgl are less heavily skied and often in better nick in my experience.
Agree with the rest though I have never actually stayed in Ischgl but elsewhere in the valley where I've always had reasonable priced accommodation.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
T Bar wrote:
DanishRider wrote:

6. have you ever used a guide in Ischgl? MORE in Stanton, but i am not i agree that it is so much better, and fewer people to compete against in Ischgl. If doing a season Stanton wins. For easy access and less competition Ischgl wins
7. Agree

Not even sure that 7 is true to be honest the routes in Ischgl are less heavily skied and often in better nick in my experience.
Agree with the rest though I have never actually stayed in Ischgl but elsewhere in the valley where I've always had reasonable priced accommodation.

Also many people stay outside of Stanton because it is too expensive, so it kinda evens out. But for the ski-routes i gotta give it to them. That is the one things Ischgl misses, and unless you hire a guide, it is limited, but as you say in better knick:-)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DanishRider, you Danes go a bit mad on beer on hols. Check your food bill next time you're in Ischgl and you'll see the pretty euros added on for any tap water that was brought to the table
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
peanuthead wrote:
@DanishRider, you Danes go a bit mad on beer on hols. Check your food bill next time you're in Ischgl and you'll see the pretty euros added on for any tap water that was brought to the table

Food? Beer isn’t food? Care to elaborate? Toofy Grin Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can’t say I’ve ever noticed a tap water charge being added. They’re both very nice places to ski and fun to party in too. In terms of less attractive aspects Ischgl is a little more faux glitzy, St Anton a little more geezer growly. You can come across opinionated people who bellow out their opinions in both places, but easy enough to avoid. If you’re fortunate enough to be able to go to either you should have plenty of fun.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We've NEVER been charged for tab water in Ischgl. We HAVE been given free pizza and grammelschmalz while waiting for tables a few times though.
ski holidays
Been to Ischgl a few times. Loved it. What I certainly did love was that it attracts alot of piste-based riders - this means that the areas right next to the piste have been untracked. For 1 week, I was riding 50cms of powder right next to the pistes. Due to the party reputation, it was very quiet the first hour every morning.
snow conditions
Lilledonmarco wrote:
Been to Ischgl a few times. Loved it. What I certainly did love was that it attracts alot of piste-based riders - this means that the areas right next to the piste have been untracked. For 1 week, I was riding 50cms of powder right next to the pistes. Due to the party reputation, it was very quiet the first hour every morning.

That is exactly why i keep coming back:-)
snow report
peanuthead wrote:
St Anton is:
1 easier to get to
2. Cheaper
7. Better ski routes

If st Anton has worked, why fix what's broken. Unless its December or April as Ishcgl has higher elevation

1. No doubt St A is easier for access, train - there is a station in the middle of the village as opposed to a slow one hour bus ride from station, road - autobahn / schnellstrasse exit direct into village as opposed to 30+ minutes on a valley road liable to traffic jams and avalanche closure.

2. Only cheaper if you look around, plenty (and growing number) of silly expensive spots in St A too. I stayed recently in the centre of St A (3mins walk to Galzigbahn) in nice pension €70 / night b&b, never found anything like that in Ischgl. Admittedly this was low season but these places can be found if you can book well in advance. Normally I stay in Pettneu, reasonable prices and as easy access to the skiing as most places in "St A" itself.

3. Make sure you ask for "Leitungswasser" (tap water) otherwise it could well be mineral water which costs.

4. I wouldn't put it quite that strongly but yes I feel that Ischgl only exists to extract money from visitors.

5. Queues are hardly unknown in St A!

6. St A has some of the best off piste in the Alps but that attracts large numbers, Ischgl not as good (but still better than most places) but quieter (also very well known for ski touring).

7. Ischgl cant really compete on this but not sure anywhere else can for this type of skiing.

8. Ischgl is better for piste skiing than St A though the home runs are notoriously poor, though the ones in St A can turn into a moguled slush fest come the spring. Overall the Arlberg is about the same with a better feeling of travel, though Ischgl does have the long piste into Switzerland and a greater variety of pistes. Neither Ischgl or St A good in bad weather

Agree about early or late season, Ischgl is generally a better option then.
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
peanuthead wrote:
St Anton is:
1 easier to get to
2. Cheaper
7. Better ski routes

1. No doubt St A is easier for access, train - there is a station in the middle of the village as opposed to a slow one hour bus ride from station, road - autobahn / schnellstrasse exit direct into village as opposed to 30+ minutes on a valley road liable to traffic jams and avalanche closure.

2. Only cheaper if you look around, plenty (and growing number) of silly expensive spots in St A too. I stayed recently in the centre of St A (3mins walk to Galzigbahn) in nice pension €70 / night b&b, never found anything like that in Ischgl. Admittedly this was low season but these places can be found if you can book well in advance. Normally I stay in Pettneu, reasonable prices and as easy access to the skiing as most places in "St A" itself.

3. Make sure you ask for "Leitungswasser" (tap water) otherwise it could well be mineral water which costs.

4. I wouldn't put it quite that strongly but yes I feel that Ischgl only exists to extract money from visitors.

5. Queues are hardly unknown in St A!

6. St A has some of the best off piste in the Alps but that attracts large numbers, Ischgl not as good (but still better than most places) but quieter (also very well known for ski touring).

7. Ischgl cant really compete on this but not sure anywhere else can for this type of skiing.

8. Ischgl is better for piste skiing than St A though the home runs are notoriously poor, though the ones in St A can turn into a moguled slush fest come the spring. Overall the Arlberg is about the same with a better feeling of travel, though Ischgl does have the long piste into Switzerland and a greater variety of pistes. Neither Ischgl or St A good in bad weather

Agree about early or late season, Ischgl is generally a better option then.

Well played sir - And i do agree. 2. is the main concern for many, but the standard for hotels in Ischgl is just higher, and cost more dough - But you get what you pay for. I only know of one really cheap place in Ischgl, and that i Bergchristal in the "Schatzi" end of town, but haven't stayed there for years. When i am with friends/wife etc, i don't mind paying a little extra to live comfy:-)
snow report
Restaurants that charge for tapwater is not the real problem.

The real problem is people expecting free tapwater without ordering any other payable drinks.

If that’s your style you should stay away from Ischgl, St.Anton, Lech or actually any resort in the Alps.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 17-12-19 17:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Langerzug, agreed, although the really despicable behaviour imho is restaurants on the hill charging to use the toilet, even if you’ve bought something. Can’t speak for ischgl, but a few places in France should hang their heads in shame.
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:
The real problem is people expecting free tapwater without ordering any other payable drinks.
If that’s your style you should stay away from Ischgl, St.Anton, Lech or actually any resort in the Alps.
Wow, they charge for water. That's... an interesting view of service.

I didn't understand many of the words in the OP but I thought Ishgl was a reasonable place with some reasonable big runs.
snow conditions
Quote:

Why should that be a problem?

I don't get why people are comparing StA and Ischgl. To me they offer a different skiing experience. I've only been to each resort he once but I can't wait to go back. Love 'em both.
latest report
Langerzug wrote:

Surely, if you are buying a meal, they can offer a free slurp from the tap? Puzzled
ski holidays
I was certain I started a thread a few years ago when I was in Ischgl complaining about paying for Tap water issue-:to which expected response from dozens of SHs saying this was perfectly normal in much of Austria / Germany, it was perfectly reasonable, and I was a moron etc. Just can't find that thread now. It seemed weird because I was never charged for Tap water in St Anton. That year in Ischgl we had gaggle of kids who wouldnt drink all day and then had insatiable thirst at dinnertime..
snow report
@peanuthead, sounds like you’re hallucinating. Sit down. Take a rest. Drink a glass of water, just post your bank details here so we can charge you...
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, you describe my exact state of mind at end of off-piste day in St Anton
snow report
@peanuthead, I have never come across anyone charging for tap water. The problem is if you just ask for water you are almost always given what the brits call mineral water ie "Mineralwasser" but is just generally called "Wasser". Most Germans / Austrians drink bottled water (the bottles all have a deposit on them) and few drink tap water despite it being of high quality. In many places you have to ask specifically for "Leitungswasser" if you want it free from the tap.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bergmeister, a restaurant is a business, and an essential part of that business are the drinks. People are referring to ‘tapwater as service’, but that is exactly the point: in a restaurant we are paying to be serviced! In other words, the restaurant business model is largely about paying for service! Hence the huge mark-up between the same bottle of wine of the supermarket and in a restaurant.
Tapwater is free when accompanied by payable drinks, often wine, or coffee. But can be with any other drink
Otherwise it is widely considered rude (and cheap!) to ask for free tapwater without ordering other drinks.
To prevent this, nowadays more and more restaurants are requiring -small- payment for tapwater too. Not only in Ischgl, but everywhere in Northwest Europe. (In most other parts of the world, including US, tapwater is rather undrinkable due to chloride, and hence this issue does’nt exist)
snow report
I don’t know where to begin...
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:
.... Not only in Ischgl, but everywhere in Northwest Europe. (In most other parts of the world, including US, tapwater is rather undrinkable due to chloride, and hence this issue does’nt exist)
Nonsense. Squared.
ski holidays
Sneachta2013 wrote:
First timer to the above curious to hear what other ‘sneachta’ - heads make of the place......a slightly more compact and expensive resort than st Anton (been there 4 times over the years)........we r a group of good intermediate skiers who do a bit of off piste but generally like cruising the reds and blacks.....at 240 kms will we have it all skied and explored in 2 days....like the night life in ski resorts ie. bars full of ‘c-coks’ With hardly a ‘Pooh-n-nny’ in sight ....?

I did a week there last year solo. Piste skiing is very good. If you cover a lot of distance each day, 3 days will see it well explored.

Lift system is excellent, I think the best I've ever seen.

The whole town is indeed ein grosse wienerfest, quite lame and I found the food to be expensive and not as good as other big Austrian resorts.

If you want a lot of cruising, head to the Dolomites if you haven't already. Easy train and bus journey from Innsbruck.
ski holidays
[quote="sean1967"]
Sneachta2013 wrote:

The whole town is indeed ein grosse wienerfest, .

LOL!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy