Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I stay or should I go?

Poster: A snowHead
Situation:
I find myself with no PAID work between the 16th December and Christmas. (being self-employed, any ski holiday is normally the cost of the holiday PLUS the lost income for the time).

It seems a perfect opportunity to go for a sneaky ski-trip before Christmas with the in-laws... however, none of my ski-buddies are available at that time so if I do go, I'll be skiing alone. This isn't a problem for me, since I ski alone for half the day even when I'm out with the family (since they "rest" after lunch).

SleasyJet flights from Luton to Geneva fit in perfectly for an early morning Outbound on Tues/Weds and a late evening return on Friday.
I don't want to waste much time between landing in Geneva and hitting the slopes and have previously done sneaky-trips to Morzine, St Gervais, Morillon.
Since I'm on my own, I going to try and avoid hiring a car this time around, so shared bus transfers or train are the route to the slopes.
I'm not looking to "make new friends" in the bars/clubs in the evening (The cat might be away.. but this mouse ain't playing!).

Options:
- Train to Verbier as per another Snowheads recent enquiry... but is Switzerland too expensive?
- AlpyBus to Flaine.... is that the best place for a solo skier to grab some food and a quiet pint at night?
- AlpyBus to Chamonix.... When I ski alone, I stick to Reds... is Cham too "black" for this kind of trip?
- Don't do it. No-one wants to be "that saddo" who is reading a book in while at a restaurant... like some sort of travelling salesman/Alan Partridge/David Brent.

Convince me one way or another.... I'm struggling to justify the sense in all this! Embarassed
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jamescollings, do it!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jamescollings,
Quote:

1)Train to Verbier as per another Snowheads recent enquiry... but is Switzerland too expensive?
-2) AlpyBus to Flaine.... is that the best place for a solo skier to grab some food and a quiet pint at night?
- 3)AlpyBus to Chamonix.... When I ski alone, I stick to Reds... is Cham too "black" for this kind of trip?
- 4)Don't do it. No-one wants to be "that saddo" who is reading a book in while at a restaurant... like some sort of travelling salesman/Alan Partridge/David Brent.

1) It's a while since I've been, but have in the past been able to find v reasonable h/b accom right in the middle of town (Hotel de la Poste). Might be worth checking out. It's perfectly possible, even in Verbier, not to spend too much at lunchtime. Don't know lift pass prices.
2) Never been to Flaine, sorry.
3) There is plenty of red skiing in Chamonix, not too black at all. The only problem there is that getting between the discrete ski areas is a bit of a nuisance; there are buses of course. If that doesn't bother you, go for it, it's such a doddle to get to and the skiing is wonderful.
4) You must do it. No brainer.
Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jamescollings, another vote for do it!

Verbier isn't too expensive if you're not eating and drinking a lot every night - and Verbier is a fantastic area.
Chamonix is definitely not 'too black' - I had beginner friends here last year who skied 3 different areas and loved every minute.

Can't comment on Flaine in the evening, I've only done day trips. But the ski area is very good also.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Avoid the David Brent situation and why not do this instead ?

https://www.crisis.org.uk/get-involved/christmas-volunteering-london/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@WindOfChange, I'd be doing that if I didn't have other commitments. It is enormous fun.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chamonix, head for Brévent and Flégère areas. There's a lot to ski there for all levels, up high above the town with easy access to both via Brévent lift.

Short easy transfer, great mix of anything in the evening too should make for an excellent trip.

Also much at required level at La Tour and Les Houche at opposite ends of the valley if you want to use the bus and spend a day at each.

There's just so much more than the superficial / big / macho image often projected. Wouldn't think you'd have any reservations once you've tried it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jamescollings wrote:
Situation:
I find myself with no PAID work between the 16th December and Christmas. (being self-employed, any ski holiday is normally the cost of the holiday PLUS the lost income for the time).

It seems a perfect opportunity to go for a sneaky ski-trip before Christmas with the in-laws... however, none of my ski-buddies are available at that time so if I do go, I'll be skiing alone. This isn't a problem for me, since I ski alone for half the day even when I'm out with the family (since they "rest" after lunch).

SleasyJet flights from Luton to Geneva fit in perfectly for an early morning Outbound on Tues/Weds and a late evening return on Friday.
I don't want to waste much time between landing in Geneva and hitting the slopes and have previously done sneaky-trips to Morzine, St Gervais, Morillon.
Since I'm on my own, I going to try and avoid hiring a car this time around, so shared bus transfers or train are the route to the slopes.
I'm not looking to "make new friends" in the bars/clubs in the evening (The cat might be away.. but this mouse ain't playing!).

Options:
- Train to Verbier as per another Snowheads recent enquiry... but is Switzerland too expensive?
- AlpyBus to Flaine.... is that the best place for a solo skier to grab some food and a quiet pint at night?
- AlpyBus to Chamonix.... When I ski alone, I stick to Reds... is Cham too "black" for this kind of trip?
- Don't do it. No-one wants to be "that saddo" who is reading a book in while at a restaurant... like some sort of travelling salesman/Alan Partridge/David Brent.

Convince me one way or another.... I'm struggling to justify the sense in all this! Embarassed

I don't buy into number 4. Absolute nothing wrong with sitting reading a book and having a beer. Equally, nothing wrong with catchy a game of footy and having a chat at the bar with some upset Man Utd fan.
Never been to any of your options 1-3 but from what people say about Chamonix I think I'd go there.
Oh and absolutely go. That's a no brainer.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

This.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jamescollings wrote:
No-one wants to be "that saddo" who is reading a book in while at a restaurant... :
You're describing plenty of my last season & probably a fair chunk of this one lLaughing
What's not to do.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Legend. wrote:
... - Don't do it. No-one wants to be "that saddo" who is reading a book in while at a restaurant... like some sort of travelling salesman/Alan Partridge/David Brent. ...
I almost always read in restaurants/ bars when I'm on my own. It would be utterly incorrect to assume that I'm remotely "sad" about it. I realize it's not what the OP's saying, but when people use the word "sad" as a criticism I always think that says a huge amount about them and very little about anything else. I'm not sure I know any well-read sales people, but they're probably more competent than the usual types, happy or otherwise.

In the days when I needed customers I'd always go boarding over xmas/new year because most customers shut down as it's hugely cost effective for the reasons stated.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

This.

If you'd wanted a more reasoned response to the question of whether you should abandon your family in the run up to Christmas for a totally self-indulgent and expensive skiing holiday, you've posted on the wrong site. Of course you should, duh.

I know it would add a fair bit to the cost, but maybe lessons or a Snoworks/Warren Smith/Inside Out type development course? Improve technique, get to meet and ski with similar ability people, and not be sad and lonely of an evening.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@philwig,
Quote:

I almost always read in restaurants/ bars when I'm on my own. It would be utterly incorrect to assume that I'm remotely "sad" about it.

+1
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If I was on my own I'd be reading a book in the restaurant or a quiet pub so +2 to the above

@jamescollings, you should go if you can.

Never done Verbier by train have always hired a car (usually 4 of us so the cost is spread) but it's a great place to go.

Flaine is quiet in the evening as far as I remember.

I don't like Chamonix
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks all... you've helped tip the balance of my dilemma Smile yay!

The book-reading comment stems from back in the 1990s when I WAS that travelling salesman, and each night in various TrustHouseForte's around the UK would see lots of single men and women sat at table4two in the restaurant reading alone (this was before the mainstream internet!) not talking to each other. Those that DID talk to each other often ended up waking up with each other Shocked Shocked and I've never played THAT game! snowHead
snow report
A couple of things to add:
For Verbier, you could stay in Le Chable, which should be much cheaper, and get the gondola up to Verbier, or go up the other side to Bruson, if it's open. Also, last season, on a given day (I think it was Thursday) in off-peak weeks, the lift pass for Bruson was only 20CHF
Resorts may save some runs for Christams, and not open them in the pre-Christmas week. Of the resorts you mention, I've see this in Chamonix, which was annoying over a whole week, but maybe not such an issue for a few days
Personally I'd hire a car as it's normally faster than shared transport, and I'd want to maximise ski time on the travel days, but then I'm greedy
snow conditions
JFDI, you'll have a better time skiing than not.
latest report
@jamescollings, I am (or was till recently) that traveling salesman. he he he.

Don't play those games though... Mrs U would not be impressed.
snow conditions
yes.
You will regret when lounging around the house in your pants during the dates anyway.
latest report
Convince me one way or another.... I'm struggling to justify the sense in all this! Embarassed[/quote]

You aren't seriously asking us to justify going skiing, are you?

BOOK! Very Happy

Have a look at the Chalet Company in Meribel. They've been advertising £200 chalets that week.
latest report
@Bergmeister,
Quote:

Have a look at the Chalet Company in Meribel

The OP wants a short transfer.
snow report
I do this all the time, I work in GVA sometimes and then take a few days on my own. Dinner alone with a book, maybe a few beers in a bar. Love the time to myself frankly.
ski holidays
As others have said, do it!

A couple of winters back I was single and watching the snow reports. I had to take a week off work, it seemed a good opportunity. the single occupancy was the issue but I found a chalet where they waived it. Ended up been an amazing Christmas and fantastic weeks skiing. I was happy in the pub watching footy with a beer and you always get chatting to people. In the chalet there was a group of 3 lads, one could ski and the others were learning. He asked about joining me to get some miles in which was welcomed.

Have fun!
latest report
@jamescollings, train to Bourg St Maurice ( Eurostar + SNCF) then stay at https://www.hotel-basecamplodge.com/en/ : No transfer required. (Confess we're not staying there until March, will do a full trip report once we have).

You can read your book (however sadly you wish to) on the train on the way down, then choose to ski Arcs, Rosiere, Tignes, St Foy, Plagne...

But, as above, JFDI! ( or just flippin' book it )
snow conditions
I have been to Flaine many times, no problem with food and a pint. However, be aware that the week before Xmas is very quiet and historically only a small % of the runs will be open.
ski holidays
i think your asking the wrong question on the wrong website, nobody on a skiing forum is going to say dont go skiing, i go on a crossdressing forum, but nobody ever says dont do it, and as for skiing on your own, i"ve done it for years, it gives you so much freedom, just be careful that you ski within your ability though, if you have an accident with no one else around it can get quite cold and lonely.
snow conditions
I’m reading this thread sitting in a restaurant by myself!

Is that “less sad” than reading a book alone in a restaurant?
latest report
Been a good start to the season snow wise.

Unless there is a completely dry period over the next couple of weeks - which is possible - it should be great skiing.

I'd want to keep it real simple in terms of transfer/organisation. Verbier on the train a bit of a schlep maybe?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ironically I’ve just been told to go to a meeting in Geneva at a similar time, so started to wonder about resorts close by for 3-4 days after, also red runs. Not sure I want the costs of CH though. And any good train links, or am I better to take a bus from airport?
latest report
Go past Verbier, to Zermatt. Its actually cheaper in my experience, better in almost all respects, and has a lot more really good red piste skiing.
snow report
twoodwar wrote:
Go past Verbier, to Zermatt. Its actually cheaper in my experience, better in almost all respects, and has a lot more really good red piste skiing.

This. Good shout Laughing
latest report
I like Zermatt well enough, but I wouldn't be going there just for a few days via Geneva.
snow report
Whats wrong with being a "Saddo" ?
Have a lesson.
I think a ski trip alone can turn into a great adventure.
Its early season so there will be accommodation, and this year there is plenty of Snow.
Verbier is great skiing, and an easy trip from GVA.
Somehow though, I think I would feel more comfortable in Chamonix, don't know why though.
snow report
@Hurtle, Seems as though the OP has a week (ish) so 2.5hrs on a train each way leaves lots of time to enjoy Zermatt?
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
@Hurtle, Seems as though the OP has a week (ish) so 2.5hrs on a train each way leaves lots of time to enjoy Zermatt?

He said "early morning Outbound on Tues/Weds and a late evening return on Friday." so 4 days max and flying in/out on a skiing day so I would be looking to keep the transfer to an hour myself.

Certainly plenty to go in Chamonix though personally I think bussing to the different areas is a pain. Could have course just stay close to one of the areas and hunt there for at least a couple of the days.
snow report
Thanks all. My mind is made up... the concern that being a ‘solo alone in a bar’ kinda guy has been assuaged. There was always a chance that someone came back and said ‘don’t be that guy!’ But no one did, so that’s good.

Slight fly in the ointment is that my client hasn’t provided the contract for January yet!!...so I need that safety-net in the bag before my wife will let me go.. but here’s hoping for a resolution in the next day or two.
latest report
@jamescollings, where will you go?
snow report
@jamescollings, get the contract and JFDI. I’m self employed, when I take holidays which is a minimum 6 weeks a year, i work on the basis that I’ve worked during the weeks before to pay for my holiday pay in exactly the same way as a PAYE person, I can’t think of anything worse than being on holiday and worrying about the money you could/should be earning, no one ever said on their deathbed, I wish I’d worked more rather than going on holiday.
I’ve skied Flaine a fair few times and really like it, but you need to have a guide in the main bowl if you want to go off piste as there lots of dangerous crevices that will swallow you up for good! The nightlife is definitely low key.
snow conditions
@jamescollings, Do it, just do it. Since mrsthecramps cancer, (and her brill recovery ) we have a very different view on everything. Just live now, tomorrow may never come.
ski holidays
I’m leaning towards Chamonix, but the village webcam looks as snowy as Swindon! Should I be concerned?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy