Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap 4 day self drive trip.

Poster: A snowHead
I am trying to arrange a cheap 4 night self drive trip to somewhere in France for approx 11th Jan on top of my main trip.
Er indoors and family arent interested.
So looking for a couple of roomies, car sharers if interested.
I live near Crawley.
Ok intermediate standard, skiing most things on piste and some mild off piste....although dodge big moguls by choice.
Age 54 but mind and attitude of a 30 year old. Other loves include rugby, soul and house music.

Approx costs should be
£250 apartment
£150 eurotunnel
£150 diesel.
That divided by party number.
So cheap.

Plus lift pass, equipment hire, food, apres.

Reply or message.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh forgot.....tolls. about £80
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Yellow Snow, I think you will find the tolls to be more than £80 even if you go off the autoroutes a bit.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I reckon a round trip from UK to the Alps (I live 150 miles away from Eurotunnel) usually comes in at around £500 return, and takes 13-15 hours.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bloody hell I drive out to Austria every year, and the total cost Ferry, fuel etc, id say no more than £300. Admittedly, we don't have Tolls to pay, and its about 16 hours door to door from Dorset. have done 14 using the Tunnel.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@jafa, Yes - Eurotunnel is more expensive than the ferry, and French tolls about £150 return.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fair point i meant €80 each way.
Divide total by 3
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm with @Chamcham, £200 for tunnel return, £200 ish for deisel (1600 miles return) and £150 ish for tolls. It costs about £50 just to get to the tunnel and back in fuel.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you can get cheap flights and share costs of a rental car, that could be a cheaper and less tiring way to do it. But you'll need to be within one "Saturday/Saturday" week to get a cheap apartment. Not around a weekend.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Use the "via Michelin" planner and it'll give you much more concise and current information.

Remember to enter your vehicle details etc and it's pretty accurate.

I get 72 miles to tunnel from West London, plus 560 miles from Calais to Samöens as total via autoroute, well it normally is when we go there Very Happy that's in practice not VM Laughing so total return for that areato ski of 1050 miles ish.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Routes?departure=London%2C%20United%20Kingdom&departureId=31NDFhcWsxMGNOVEV1TlRBd01qST1jTFRBdU1USTJOUT09&arrival=74340%20Samo%C3%ABns%2C%20France&arrivalId=31NDJ2cjMxMGNORFl1TURnek5ETT1jTmk0M01qY3lOdz09&index=0&vehicle=0&type=0&distance=mi&currency=GBP&highway=false&toll=false&vignette=false&orc=false&crossing=true&caravan=false&shouldUseTraffic=false&withBreaks=false&break_frequency=7200&coffee_duration=1200&lunch_duration=3600&diner_duration=3600&night_duration=32400&car=luxury&fuel=diesel&fuelCost=1.31&allowance=0&corridor=&departureDate=&arrivalDate=&fuelConsumption=11.3:9.4:11.4

As an example, splits it for you too to give pp costing.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Yellow Snow, flying round those dates can be a lot cheaper. I am out that weekend with 3 girlfriends and we got flights for less than £60 per person
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I know what i want to do thanks.
Ive done it a lot of times and i know whats the best way
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To right @Yellow Snow you go for it ..
Make it an adventure, too much advice just spoils the game.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Yellow Snow, I have sent you a PM.
snow report
Yellow Snow wrote:

Genuine (non confrontational) question...

If you can fly for next to nothing, then hire a car, why is a 15 hour each way drive (including Channel crossing) "the best way" for a short trip? Puzzled
snow report
Because it is a lot easier than Be Nice please! about at the hire stand, checking in etc etc. Im flying on my main trip and quite frankly driving is far more relaxed. You can take what you want with you with no baggage allowance. It doesn't take Einstein to work out the pros and cons.
snow conditions
Ps you can always try to arrange your own and do what you fancy and keep your beak out of my ideas.
ski holidays
@Yellow Snow, rude!! He asked a genuine question.
ski holidays
Maybe you're not coming across as someone to share two long drives with, @Yellow Snow. Generally discussion on SHs about trips and resorts is friendly and interesting, even when (as is usual) we have very different ideas.
snow report
If you're not a "know all" then I'm charming company.
snow conditions
as I said... non confrontational, genuine question.

However, even Einstein might prefer 2 extra days on the slopes to sitting in a car wink
ski holidays
Maybe if youre driving from Durham, not Sussex
snow conditions
Maybe if youre driving from Durham, not Sussex
Your question was rhetorical, therefore unnecessary and worthy of the answer you got.
ski holidays
God loves a clever clogs, so youll be alright
ski holidays
@Yellow Snow, @Yellow Snow.
Troll.
latest report
I felt that @Yellow Snow, put up a genuine offer that is to share travel from SE to ski short break. Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with that.

My original post was to illustrate the costs to others as it's fairly reasonable when split, especially a more or less door to door arrangement.

We usually drive from here and it's competitive with air travel especially if you want to take any of your own kit too. A car can leave here at 21.00hr and be in GM / PdS for next morning with overnight driving.

I really can't see what's agitating the other responders that have no intention of joining.
snow conditions
ski3 wrote:

I really can't see what's agitating the other responders that have no intention of joining.

Because if you live next to Gatwick and your priorities are to max the skiing for a weekend and be cheap, driving doesn’t appear to make much sense. Hardly surprising people are asking the question. So when his reply is that it doesn’t take an Einstein to work it out and then gets abusive, he’s hardly going to win a popularity contest.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It just seemed originally to be a straight offer of joining a trip that was arranged as detailed, not a request for advice on how to do it though.

Up to the following point, perfectly respectable.

Yellow Snow wrote:

Surely an indication and confirmation that it's going in its original form. To keep pushing from other's at this point seems counterproductive and unwanted.

To keep complaining and with ultimately someone designating the OP a troll doesn't seem that friendly on here either.
latest report
@ski3, He started with a reasonable OP. His posts then became gradually more confrontational and abusive, including to @Bergmeister, who had made it clear he was not trying to be provocative, and he hasn't responded at all since I called him out. That seems like troll behaviour to me.
If not, let him come back and say so.
snow conditions
"Called me out" !!!
Are you serious??? It's a ski forum not a full on scrap, which face to face im sure wouldnt have happened as you can read body language. Some of you keyboard warriors need a reality check.
Thanks to ski3 for some sense and summing the situation up far more articulately than i can be bothered to do.
latest report
Bottom line is that there is little difference in time driving to flying even with my proximity to Gatwick, once check in and transfers are included.
Driving is more calm and with a Tues/Weds leave planned it saves messing around with transfers.
Anyway, im now going with 3 mates for 4 nights to Les Men. Driving, eurotunnel with no peeing about at the airport. Ive done it 12 hours door to door before but around that will be very achievable again.
I am flying to grenoble for my main trip. And the return leg at that airport is already making me wish id driven again
snow conditions
Yellow Snow wrote:
Bottom line is that there is little difference in time driving to flying even with my proximity to Gatwick, once check in and transfers are included.
Driving is more calm and with a Tues/Weds leave planned it saves messing around with transfers.
With 4 of us it is a really cost effective trip.
Anyway, im now going with 3 mates for 4 nights to Les Men. Driving, eurotunnel with no peeing about at the airport. Ive done it 12 hours door to door before but around that will be very achievable again.
I am flying to grenoble for my main trip. And the return leg at that airport is already making me wish id driven again
ski holidays
regardless of who said what, I must admit if I stayed anywhere within 90 mins of tunnel I would be driving most trips.
snow report
We live just outside Crawley. 1hr 15 mins to tunnel and door to door to 3V on a quiet day (not Sat) is 12 hours. Can’t say I’d do it for a short trip, but hey ho, got up at 5.30 this morning to get flight to GVA and cheap shared transfer up to St Martin. Should have arrived by 2pm, but the sodding french ATC are out on strike along with all other public transport because they all want to keep their precious state pensions and take them while still ludicrously youthful.

Buggins is therefore still at GVA awaiting the 3.30pm Alpybus. So I’ll get to the house at about 6pm...around 11 hours after I left the house...so maybe the OP has a point....
ski holidays
Perty wrote:
the sodding french ATC are out on strike along with all other public transport because they all want to keep their precious state pensions and take them while still ludicrously youthful.

That is unlucky... I’ve booked family on the Friday 6:10am EasyJet flight out of LGW and back on the Sunday late flight for 2.5 days skiing and it took 6 hours from Purley to Verbier, door to door. It’s a 4.30am start on the Friday but to say that’s more hassle than 12 hour overnight drives each way is a bit of a stretch
ski holidays
Enjoy
But i would guess it was far more expensive than the 5 days in the 3V i am getting.
But then again Purley is posh.
Mind the night closures on the M23
ski holidays
People make out that driving is a bind. My diesel.will do a tank of gas each way. Good audio book or some great soul and house music, cruise on all the way and the journey is gone. Even if i drive the whole thing. Loads of snacks, good meal, French scenery once South of Rheims. Its all good
latest report
Yellow Snow wrote:
Enjoy
But i would guess it was far more expensive than the 5 days in the 3V i am getting.
But then again Purley is posh.
Mind the night closures on the M23

Now you are getting a bit desperate. Is that your weekend? You were right about one thing though, that it doesn’t take an Einstein to work it out....

snow report
How much is the transfer and accom

Our apartment for 4 nights in Les Mens was £235 total ÷ 4.
Plus £140 gas ÷ 4
Tolls £160 ÷ 4

£435 ÷ 4

Plus lift pass about €150
Skis €70
And some food/beer tokens.
It will do for me.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy