Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recomendations for new Skiis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi snowHead 's

Probably a bit early for Christmas shopping but here goes

My Girlfriend Ger currently skis on Rossignol Vipers (about 150 - 155 in length). While they are great piste skiis they are lacking when you venture into any type of powder. Ger is confident on Reds and getting down blacks and definitely getting better. (Ger is 5ft 2in and under 9 stone)

The majority of next years skiing will be on piste but we do want to venture into the fluffy stuff at the edge occasionally. I therefore need some help in choosing the right ski. Can't go too crazy on budget but would consider good condition second hands.

All advice gratefully accepted.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rossignol B2 sound like the thing for her. Not used them myself, but from previous reviews/posts they are (generally) liked.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1080 thruster 161 or 151?

but don't buy skis you haven't used- ignore reviews trust our own judgement.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kieran, the K2 women's specific T9 'Luv' range have gotten rave reviews. http://k2skis.com

Female specific skis have the bindings mounted further forward to suit the female form which helps with fore/aft balance. Look toward the 'Lotta Luv' model at 78mm underfoot (versus the Viper's at 65mm?) if she's planning a lot of off piste. Their Burnin 'Luv model is also apparently excellent. Unfortunately both these models seemed to be sold out everywhere.

However at 5'2" & under 9 stone I wouldn't think that floatation should be a problem on any ski. Having just got into off-piste sking myself this season, although wide skis do help, my suggestion would be to initially put your budget in to some off-piste specific lessons rather than skis. Wider skis, at her current level, certainly won't help her on-piste progression.

Good off-piste lessons also include the benefit of basic off-piste safety & avalanche awareness etc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon wrote:
Kieran, the K2 women's specific T9 'Luv' range have gotten rave reviews. http://k2skis.com.

Spyderjon I can actually get a set of these at quite a good price but they are 167cm and I think that that is too long for Ger
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Spyderjon I can actually get a set of these at quite a good price but they are 167cm and I think that that is too long for Ger

They'd be a bit long for me, and I am 9st 10 and 5'6" and have been ski-ing for some years. Longer skis won't be doing her any favours. I would second the suggestion about lessons, from spyderjon. I had a private lesson in the powder last year, and found it extremely useful - challenging but fun. I think many women like to learn properly, to think about what they are doing, to listen carefully to their instructor and to feel in control. Rather than just hurtle around hoping for best, chucking themselves in and getting buried and exhausted. To start doing a little bit of off-piste you don't really need different skis - but you do need some different technique, which I am slowly starting to acquire.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kieran, get her to demo K2 Phat Luv & Volkl Aura but it sounds like the Aura might be a little stiff for her needs. Fat skis, not that these are fat, on piste are great fun and very rewarding. Pocket Rockets or the new Gun should also be demo'd...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy