Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Banff

Poster: A snowHead
Hey,

My friend is doing a season in Banff (he is in Canada for a whole year) I want to go visit him as its a great opportunity to ski in Canada.

The question in mind is the ski pass itself. I have already messaged the sunshine village and have been told if i want to ski for more than a week its cheaper to buy a pass for the whole season.

1. Will cheaper passes be made available in the new year?
2. If anyone here is going to Canada (Sunshine Village) this winter for a couple weeks and purchasing the pass can i purchase it off you when you finish? (Is that possible or are there ID checks?)
3. There are various resorts around Lake Louise for example which is best for an Intermediate+? (if that is a thing) skier I enjoy both piste and off-piste and beginner/intermediate snow parks.

Thanks to anyone that can help just dont feel like paying for a whole season of skiing for only 2 weeks.
If its the only way i guess i just have to go for a month rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cazzro, Season passes usually require a photo, so ties the pass to the original purchaser, to stop fraudulent usage.

Purchase the Big 3 pass which allows you to ski Lake Louise and Norquay too, and gives access to the bus service.

Banff is a great place to visit and I'm sure you'll have a great time.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Cazzro, welcome to snowhead snowHead

1) Season pass gets more expensive the closer to winter. So if you're going to buy it, the sooner the better

2) As @Bones already mention, season pass is not transferable. It has a photo.

2 weeks is typically the point when a season pass is aim for. Ski everyday of that 2 weeks, you would have made the average days for season pass holders.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When are you going? Some hills have reduced rate passes in the spring, Lake louise had a bargain spring pass last year, if I remember correctly $499 per adult. https://www.skilouise.com/passes-and-products/spring-passes.php Looks like they're doing it again this year.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyone with blue eyes curly hair? Laughing joking aha ok lake louse is doing 7 days of skiing for the price of 4 however if i'm travelling all that way i guess i get the big 3 to check it all out may not get the opportunity again. Planning to go in February or March, I have read that March has really good snowfall in Banff is this true?

Thank you all for replying Smile)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Trip reports in my signature.

Big3 pass gets you the bus free, will you use it or does your mate drive?

We do a week in LL and a week in SV, quite different resorts, both excellent.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Cazzro!
I'm from Calgary but over in UK for university, so know the area well and can help you with any questions!

The spring pass mentioned is good, but only covers end of season. The regular season pass is cheaper the sooner you book it and will only increase in price the longer you wait. I think you already missed the early bird price Sad

Season pass used to come with four buddy tickets that you can give to your friends to ski with at a reduced price (around $90 per day I think). Perhaps your friend can give you his four and find you another 8 from other people. Or combine his 4 with One of the shorter passes like the lake Louise 7 for 4 pass you mention.

I would definitely suggest skiing at both lake Louise and sunshine. Nakiska is not as good, but has cheaper lift tickets so could be a good warm up day. If you go there after the other two it might be a bit underwhelming.

As said passes have photos so nobody is going to risk paying much for a season pass. Also you and the person that buys it can both get in trouble.

Send me a message if I can help in any way.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

As said passes have photos so nobody is going to risk paying much for a season pass. Also you and the person that buys it can both get in trouble.

Only the buyer can get into trouble.

The "seller", as long as he's not selling to a security guy, can always claim he misplaced the pass (which does happen).

But, you're technically... "shoplifting"! That's a crime.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Firstly i wont be using anyone else's pass. I didn't know the stance on sharing pass's. My friend drives so do I. I think we will hire a truck when i come out (Do most people drive trucks due to weather conditions or can you just get a car?) Thank you for all the information. I will look into the guest passes on my mates ticket.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Cazzro, I stayed in Banff village, in January, a few years ago and got a special deal Hotel+lift pass, I think I booked through the tourist office.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You could consider the Sunshine super card and Lake louise plus card. They're both $99 + 5% GST which gives you your first day skiing free, then 20% off every other day, but a free day on days 4 and 7. Same deal on both cards. Norquay do a similar card at $89 + 5% GST with 25% off the day rate.

It would work like this:

Day 1 $103.95
Day 2 $133.35 - 20% $26.67 = $106.68
Day 3 $133.35 - 20% $26.67 = $106.68
Day 4 $0
Day 5 $133.35 - 20% $26.67 = $106.68
Day 6 $133.35 - 20% $26.67 = $106.68
Day 7 $0

Total price for 7 days skiing = $530.67
Average price per day = $75.81

Depending on when you go in March as an example a ski Big 3 pass for those days would cost you either $843 or $894.

If you wanted to ski all 3 areas, and bought the card for all of them, the costs would look like this for 12 days:

Days 1 - 4 Sunshine
Day 1 $103.95
Day 2 $133.35 - 20% $26.67 = $106.68
Day 3 $133.35 - 20% $26.67 = $106.68
Day 4 $0

Days 5 - 8 Lake Louise
Day 1 $103.95
Day 2 $130.20 - 20% $26.04 = $104.16
Day 3 $130.20 - 20% $26.04 = $104.16
Day 4 $0

Days 5 - 8 Norquay
Day 1 $93.45
Day 2 $93.45 - 25% $23.36 = $70.09
Day 3 $93.45 - 25% $23.36 = $70.09
Day 4 $0

Total Cost for 12 days $863.21
Cost per day $71.93

This compares to a 12 day pass from Ski Big 3 at $1445.85 or $1530.90 depending on what dates in March, a very sizeable discount!

I believe there's deadlines on these passes so worth checking them out soon rather than later, and it'll only cost you the initial $89/99 + 5% GST and you pay the rest when you're there.

https://www.skibanff.com/ski-ride/passes/sunshine-super-card
https://www.skilouise.com/louise_cards.php
https://banffnorquay.com/product/adult-big-drop-card/
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Swskier thank you for laying that all out man. I have been looking at those cards. I am in the process of finding out the price of the spring season pass and comparing it to these cards. If i end up doing the cards i think i will go for 3 weeks and do a week at each.
Thanks once again for laying that all out.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cazzro wrote:
Swskier thank you for laying that all out man. I have been looking at those cards. I am in the process of finding out the price of the spring season pass and comparing it to these cards. If i end up doing the cards i think i will go for 3 weeks and do a week at each.
Thanks once again for laying that all out.

Not a problem, the accountant in me took over and I just went to town on that Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cazzro, If you go the card route, I wouldn't bother with the Norquay card, its worth skiing but probably not for all those days, one or two at the most really.

However, the Lake Louise card will allow you to ski at Panorama, and count towards daily usage - an easy drive from Banff. You can also use it at Castle, a bit further but still doable, which is a great fun mountain off the tourist radar. If they have had fresh snow it can be great or if the skies are clear.

Have fun, just bought our Lake Louise cards, before the price increase, and they stop selling them 24th Dec. IIRC
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Cazzro, definitely save some cash and don't bother with Norquay and perhaps go heliskiing for a day with rk heli!
latest report
Thanks for the informative discussion! To throw another one in the mix, Mountain Collective, currently 509 USD, so say 677 Can, two free days at Sunshine, two at LL. Revy is the only other Can resort it works at. All additional days are 50% the day ticket price.

Apply it to @swskier's illustration gives us-

Days 1 - 4 Sunshine
Day 1 $0
Day 2 $0
Day 3 $133.35 - 50% = $66.68
Day 4 $133.35 - 50% = $66.68

Days 5 - 8 Lake Louise
Day 1 $0
Day 2 $0
Day 3 $130.20 - 50% = $65.10
Day 4 $130.20 - 50% = $65.10

Total Cost for 8 days $677 + 133.36 + 130.20 = 940.56
If you will spend longer in Banff, it'll work in your favour, then you will have to deal with the temptation for the numerous US resorts it works in.

I'm spending a week in Banff with the current plan to bookend with a few days near the border and a couple up at Jasper, so the two cards may work with Red Mountain and Marmot?

I need to call in an accountant - oh for the transparency of european pass pricing!
snow conditions
Val Desire wrote:
Thanks for the informative discussion! To throw another one in the mix, Mountain Collective, currently 509 USD, so say 677 Can, two free days at Sunshine, two at LL. Revy is the only other Can resort it works at. All additional days are 50% the day ticket price.

Apply it to @swskier's illustration gives us-

Days 1 - 4 Sunshine
Day 1 $0
Day 2 $0

Days 5 - 8 Lake Louise
Day 1 $0
Day 2 $0

Total Cost for 8 days $677 + 133.36 + 130.20 = 940.56
If you will spend longer in Banff, it'll work in your favour, then you will have to deal with the temptation for the numerous US resorts it works in.

I'm spending a week in Banff with the current plan to bookend with a few days near the border and a couple up at Jasper, so the two cards may work with Red Mountain and Marmot?

I need to call in an accountant - oh for the transparency of european pass pricing!

Mountain collective is a good point, make a road trip of it and head to Revelstoke for a few days too then it would look like this:

Days 1 - 4 Sunshine
Day 1 $0
Day 2 $0

Days 5 - 8 Lake Louise
Day 1 $0
Day 2 $0

Days 9 - 12 Revelstoke
Day 1 $0
Day 2 $0
Day 3 $135.45 - 50% = $67.73
Day 4 $135.45 - 50% = $67.73

Total cost 677 + 133.35 + 130.2 + 135.45 = $1076.01. More costly than the 3 Banff resorts, but, I imagine Revelstoke is better than Norquay, but I haven't skied Norquay. Plus you get to make a road trip of it. I'd personally stick Revelstoke in between the two Banff resorts in the middle of the trip save having to do a massive journey back to Calgary at the end.
ski holidays
Does Ikon pass work too?

Couple of notes:
Last year sunshine had a sunshine card sale for black Friday. First time I have seen it though
The discount cards also get you food etc discounts
snow conditions
gryphea wrote:
Does Ikon pass work too?

Couple of notes:
Last year sunshine had a sunshine card sale for black Friday. First time I have seen it though
The discount cards also get you food etc discounts

I don't think it would be beneficial financially to get an ikon pass.

The full pass would cost c.$1450 CAD and give you 7 days at Ski Big 3 resorts and 7 days at Revelstoke.
The base pass would cost c.$1060 and give you 5 days at Ski Big 3 resorts and 5 days at Revelstoke but with some blackout days.

If the OP goes for 2 weeks and wants to ski for 12 days, there'd be another 2 days of passes to buy roughly $250ish

It's not a huge difference, but more expensive than cards for all 3 Banff resorts or Mountain collective route.
snow report
I’d do the Mountain Collective road trip - Sunshine, then Revelstoke, then Lake Louise. Stay in Banff for Sunshine and you could always lash out and stay at the Fairmont at LL for those days. Heaps of cheap accom in Revelstoke and Banff.
latest report
Sunshine have 20% off many options, the supercard is $79 + tax. Can't deciper the duration but as it's under a 'Cyber Monday' tagline......
latest report
I asked a similar question a few weeks back, seems there is no simple answer!

We are heading to Banff for 10 days in Feb, and I booked 6 days big3 pass through Inghams. I enquired about adding extra days and they were quoting £240 extra per day. Decided to wait until we get there and see what the story is.
ski holidays
joebh123, go buy them now Cyber Monday sale. around $360 cd for 3 days

you could try liftopia for them too,

That cant be 240 per person per day !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy