Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski school or not? First time skiing for a family over New Year in Belle Plagne

Poster: A snowHead
We are a family of five who are going to Belle Plagne for the New Years week. Our children aged 13, 11 and 4 have never skied before whereas me and my hubby have skied a couple of times before. We can’t decide whether to put our kids in ski school or not. What would you recommend? We are on a budget and will be driving to Belle Plagne from the UK. I’m thinking that we can teach the kids how to ski ourselves and save £700 but don’t know how realistic this is, especially for our four year old. Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski school 100%
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are you a professional ski instructor? If not, get them into ski school.

My wife and I are both ski instructors, yet we always put our kids into ski school. It's much more fun for them. Being able to ski a bit isn’t the same as being able to teach. The kids will love skiing with other children, and you'll have a much nicer holiday.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
100% ski school.

Suggest a different thread asking SnowHeads for specific recommendations for good ski schools in Belle Plagne. Especially ask for their experiences of ski schools for younger children, ie your 4 year old.

Belle Plagne a great choice.
New Year’s week usually busy.
Apart from the safety, professional instruction and fun, ski school will mean they’ll jump the queues for busy lifts.
snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Echo the above, ski school 100%.

Not being rude, but "have skied a couple of times before" is in no way enough to teach others to ski. I apreciate that skiing isn't cheap, and ski school is an additional expense, especially for families, but on this you simply have to bite the bullet. Aside from anything, kids respond better to outside instruction in my experience in any case (less likely to have a tantrum when they can't do something e.g.). Try to save money in other ways: driving certainly a good option for families, means you can stock up on some essentials at home and take with you for instance.

Echo that Belle Plagne is an excellent choice, certainly my favoured area in La Plagne and lots of easy cruisy skiing for beginners.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ski school

That way you can ski in morning alone, have some family ski time together in afternoon. Or have an afternoon off to sledge or just play in snow.

Trying to teach them will lead to tears, arguments and lack of skiing for you.

Have three kids and faced similar situation many years back!

If you can get to a snow zone or dry slope before you go. Just an hour lesson with learning what boots a skis feel like worth weight in gold
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ski school definitely.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, no question!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and the older two will probably ski better than you by the end of the week! snowHead But you need to book ski school NOW.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is this a joke? Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everyone for your replies! Ski school it is then Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
telford_mike wrote:
Are you a professional ski instructor? If not, get them into ski school.

My wife and I are both ski instructors, yet we always put our kids into ski school. It's much more fun for them. Being able to ski a bit isn’t the same as being able to teach. The kids will love skiing with other children, and you'll have a much nicer holiday.

No we are not professional instructors, we are pretty much beginners ourselves! I think we have to bite the bullet and book ski school.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Motherofthree, better get a wiggle on on the booking then, busiest week of the year ...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Motherofthree,
Quote:

we are pretty much beginners ourselves! I think we have to bite the bullet and book ski school.

Good decision. If you can possibly afford it, I'd think seriously about lessons for you and your husband too. Then you might be able to carry on skiing credibly with the kids once they've done their week of ski school.

If not then maybe do that on a future cheaper holiday, if you can do Easter, for example.
snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PeakyB wrote:
@Motherofthree,
Quote:

we are pretty much beginners ourselves! I think we have to bite the bullet and book ski school.

Good decision. If you can possibly afford it, I'd think seriously about lessons for you and your husband too. Then you might be able to carry on skiing credibly with the kids once they've done their week of ski school.

If not then maybe do that on a future cheaper holiday, if you can do Easter, for example.
snowHead

That would be ideal, but we can’t justify the extra cost for lessons for us when we already know how to ski (although we haven’t skied for the last 15 years)!
latest report
@Motherofthree, pretty much beginners who haven't skied for 15 years.... I humbly suggest that the cost of lessons are well justified even if just a couple of days to get back into it
snow conditions
Motherofthree, a lot has happened to skiing in 15 years, especially equipment and technique: if in anyway you can stretch your budget to lessons for you and hubby, then it will be money so well spent.
Sell some silverware, the mother-in-law, the cat: anything. It will be worth it.
ski holidays
@Motherofthree, would you drive a car again, if you'd only ever driven for 2 weeks and had a 15 year gap, without a bit of instruction first?

If the answer is yes, good luck, to you and those around. Puzzled
latest report
It may seem like a lot of money, but in many ways it is a false economy to not take them. Lessons are definitely money well spent, given your description of your skiing levels.
ski holidays
if you have not skied for 15 years then you definitely need some lessons. As others have said even if you went for a lesson at an indoor ski centre that would be of benefit to you. Being on the mountain is a whole different ball game and the weather can change very quickly. Being in a group can be very, very reassuring when conditions are not great. I would say you should definitely all have lessons.
ski holidays
Get group lessons for the kids (keeps them busy for a few hours)

Then get a few private lessons at the same time as the kids lessons that you and OH can go to together (cost effective per head). May seem expensive but for actual teaching time and to brush up, rusty skills and to get time by yourselves to practice while kids are still in their lessons they can be a good way to go.
latest report
@Motherofthree, Why not go along to your local dry slope and get some lessons there. It will be much cheeper than an indoor centre, And seriously consider group lessons for the whole family while in La Plagne not just the children. I have been skiing a lot, including 42 days last year alone and still have weekly lessons on the dry slope.

You may have to check that the 4 year old will be accepted into ski school or into the resort creche.

I hope you enjoy the holiday, as you gather from this forum most of us are passionate about skiing and want everyone to get the best possible experince from it.

You have gone about the rest of the organisation in a very sensible way to keep costs down and get a good skiing experince. Self drive, self cater, good snow sure resort.
snow report
Thank you all for your replies, will definitely consider ski school for all of us.
snow report
I would definitely book the ski school. If budget is a consideration i would suggest booking a cheaper week next time. Eg. Christmas week or the first week of the Easter holidays. The accommodation prices are substantially cheaper and the slopes less crowded.
ski holidays
@Motherofthree, as you've gathered, people on here are very keen on lessons Very Happy Your kids definitely need lessons, and in an ideal world, you'd have lessons too, but I can see cost is an issue (and why wouldn't it be).
I just had a look, and ESF Belle Plagne do group lessons in the afternoon. In New Year week, they're €184 for five afternoons. In my experience, people often don't want the last day's lesson anyway, at they're either tired out want to ski with friends and family. For the 3 kids that would work out well under £500. (Afternoon group lessons are generally cheaper.) That might leave budget for some lessons for you. Have a look at: https://www.esf-belleplagne.co.uk/
As the kids are beginners, there may be further savings on lift passes etc that ESF would advise on.
(Disclaimer: I'm not a big ESF fan, but if the choice is ESF or no lessons, then ESF is the better option).
If you're looking for savings, it's also often cheaper to arrange ski hire yourself rather than through a tour operator.
ski holidays
Following on from the ski hire suggestion above, get quotes via:

AlpinResorts use discount code: ALPISKI and snowbrainer use discount code: SKISTAR19
snow report
@snowymum, Actually the prices are not that much cheeper at Easter than new year when everything is added in. The apartment may be 500 euros less and the tunnel 50 or so, but fuel, tolls, food, lift passes, equipment hire etc. are about the same. I do agree with you that it will be less crowded, the snow will be generally better at Easter (though that depends on when Easter actually falls) , the drive itself much easier and the whole experience much nicer.
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:

AlpinResorts use discount code: ALPISKI and snowbrainer use discount code: SKISTAR19

These aren't the snowheads discount codes Puzzled Clicking on the company names should take you straight through to the snowheads discounts. For example: alpinresorts
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
But those discount codes give a better discount when I have tried both.... unless the snowheads ones have changed since I last tried?

In fact just tested and the snowbrainer link no longer works and the snowball code on the AlpinResorts says it is not valid.
latest report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
@Motherofthree, as you've gathered, people on here are very keen on lessons Very Happy Your kids definitely need lessons, and in an ideal world, you'd have lessons too, but I can see cost is an issue (and why wouldn't it be).
I just had a look, and ESF Belle Plagne do group lessons in the afternoon. In New Year week, they're €184 for five afternoons. In my experience, people often don't want the last day's lesson anyway, at they're either tired out want to ski with friends and family. For the 3 kids that would work out well under £500. (Afternoon group lessons are generally cheaper.) That might leave budget for some lessons for you. Have a look at: https://www.esf-belleplagne.co.uk/
As the kids are beginners, there may be further savings on lift passes etc that ESF would advise on.
(Disclaimer: I'm not a big ESF fan, but if the choice is ESF or no lessons, then ESF is the better option).
If you're looking for savings, it's also often cheaper to arrange ski hire yourself rather than through a tour operator.

Thank you for your advice. I think we will go for the afternoon lessons with ESF as they are considerably cheaper than the morning ones. Do you know of any childcare facilities in Belle Plagne for a four year old? Ideally I would like a place where my son can be inside some of the time. I have tried to Google this, but can't find anything in Belle Plagne.
snow report
Another for 100% ski school
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:

Thank you, already booked our ski hire through this company.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
@Motherofthree, Why not go along to your local dry slope and get some lessons there. It will be much cheeper than an indoor centre, And seriously consider group lessons for the whole family while in La Plagne not just the children. I have been skiing a lot, including 42 days last year alone and still have weekly lessons on the dry slope.

You may have to check that the 4 year old will be accepted into ski school or into the resort creche.

I hope you enjoy the holiday, as you gather from this forum most of us are passionate about skiing and want everyone to get the best possible experince from it.

You have gone about the rest of the organisation in a very sensible way to keep costs down and get a good skiing experince. Self drive, self cater, good snow sure resort.

Thank you for your advice, will bear it in mind.
snow conditions
Check the price for lessons private or group. Somewhere group lessons were about half the price of private, and if they accept 2 in a private, you get better tuition in the private for similar cost. BUT the children may find it a nicer experience in a group of peers, as beginners.
ski holidays
Getting three kids, especially the little one, all kitted up and out of the apartment and to the ski school meeting place, in unfamiliar clompy boots and carrying skis (and poles for the older ones), with two gloves apiece, their ski passes, a small chocolate bar, tissues, a little card with your mobile number and insurance details on, is really quite a mission, even when you've done it all before. At least one glove will go missing between the first child clumping out through the door and parent closing it. And at least one child will need to wee just after they've zipped themselves into their salopettes and put jacket over the top. There's a lot to be said for afternoon ski school, especially if it's cheaper.
ski holidays
Orange200 wrote:
Check the price for lessons private or group. Somewhere group lessons were about half the price of private, and if they accept 2 in a private, you get better tuition in the private for similar cost. BUT the children may find it a nicer experience in a group of peers, as beginners.

I have thought about private lessons, but they tend to be in the middle of the day when we tend to have lunch! Is there a particular ski school in Belle Plagne that you can recommend? Thanks
latest report
pam w wrote:
Getting three kids, especially the little one, all kitted up and out of the apartment and to the ski school meeting place, in unfamiliar clompy boots and carrying skis (and poles for the older ones), with two gloves apiece, their ski passes, a small chocolate bar, tissues, a little card with your mobile number and insurance details on, is really quite a mission, even when you've done it all before. At least one glove will go missing between the first child clumping out through the door and parent closing it. And at least one child will need to wee just after they've zipped themselves into their salopettes and put jacket over the top. There's a lot to be said for afternoon ski school, especially if it's cheaper.

Aw, this is a great description for how it will probably be for us!! We just want to have a ski holiday that is as stress free and hassle free as possible, whilst being budget friendly at the same time (and the two don’t always go together, I know).
snow report
@Motherofthree,

have a look at http://limesnowsports.com/ski-lessons-la-plagne/adult-ski-lessons?utm_source=seetheworld.com&utm_medium=seetheworld&utm_content=listings&utm_campaign=Laplagnet.com

...and...

https://www.oxygene.ski/oxygene-homepage/private-lessons/?utm_source=seetheworld.com&utm_medium=seetheworld&utm_content=listings&utm_campaign=Laplagnet.com

Personally I think small group lessons likely to be better value and maybe more fun than private.

I think afternoon lessons are good for your children at that time of year. Time for the sun to get on often hard packed snow and soften the surface slightly.

Just expect them to be very tired end of afternoon. Also worth making a note of techniques they’ve learnt each afternoon, then encourage them to practice those moves next morning.

Looking well ahead. If you’re able to go as a family in 2021, consider the first week of the Easter holiday. It’s earluer than usual that year so good chance of decent snow.

snowHead
latest report
Quote:

If you’re able to go as a family in 2021, consider the first week of the Easter holiday.

Very good advice. And gives you longer to save up the huge sums involved in taking a family skiing. But there's no family holiday like it!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy