Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine ski accom help please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey folks – I need a little help.

We’re going for a slightly different ski holiday this (next) year – 2020.
Planning a skiweek in Morzine, or Nyon to be precise, not far from the Téléphérique de Nyon.
We’ve spotted a nice 2 bed apartment.

Normally go for a package to Italy / Austria – half board, decent hotel, central location, loads of apres etc.

So – the queries.

1. Lovely wife is a competent but reluctant skier. If we get the Nyon lift up – are there reasonably decent blues / simple reds for her to get to the Pleney / Les Gets areas?
2. If we ski or take the telecabine to Morzine for some apres and then maybe some dinner in the afternoon / early evening – how easy / expensive is it to get to and from Morzine by taxi?
3. Finally – even though we’ve spotted a nice apartment – slightly out of town – can anyone recommend something more toward Morzine for the £1000 mark – 1st week in March?
a. Got to be two bedroom
b. Parking not required

Thank, ever so!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are buses until about 7:15pm to Nyon (see Line E and N) See the link

http://www.mairie-morzine-avoriaz.com/images/Pratique/Affiche-90x65-AUDMPNCE-BD.pdf

Its about a 30 min walk from town to Nyon in the evening if your too late for the buses. Not a terrible walk, footpath all the way, taxis are best pre-booked and are not cheap but not mega mega expensive.

There is a blue run all the way down to Nyon car park/apartments and a blue run all the way to the base of Plenny from the top of Nyon telecabin. From Memory I don't think the run to Nyon car park is the easiest blue run but other Morzine locals will know better than me.

Lots of links here such as Piste Maps and Village Maps

https://en.morzine-avoriaz.com/documents-1.html

These guys, have an apartment very very close to the base of Plenny thats about £1250

https://www.puremorzine.com/apartments/apartment-gentianes#seasons
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We have regularly stayed in a chalet just up the hill from Nyon on the opposite side (staying there in March this year in fact). When the kids were little we never considered walking into town, but now we do it quite happily for an evening out when no-one wants to drive. I wouldn't want to do it in ski boots and carrying skis, though.

You need to time your arrival at the lift station in the morning so you don't coincide with the ski bus - it's an old fashioned one up, one down cable car, and I seem to remember it can take a while to clear the bus queue.

The blue run down to the car park has a steepish bit near the bottom, but if you are a half decent skier it is great fun to do it ETO (essential turns only...). I can't remember it ever causing any of our groups any grief though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice one folks - thanks for the info and the link
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@shockingmoment,

Personally I wouldn’t stay in Nyon if you can avoid it. Yes there is easy access to the lift but if you’re other half is reluctant then she may not enjoy the run down to the bottom. In March it may well be icy or possibly slushy, but not normally good snow. Also, there is nothing there, no bar, no restaurant nada. Plus, the valley is narrow so there’s not much sun. It will also be an effort getting across to the Avoriaz skiing; needing either a bus into Morzine or the telecabine followed by a walk across town. Then you have to get back again! Apart from that it’s great
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You can take the telepherique back to the base station at Nyon and avoid the run back to the car park. The last bit of the run back to the car park can be tricky if you're a beginner and the snow is not good
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@zzz, +1
There's some nice very chalets along the VdlM, but IMHO they need to offer very high quality accommodation as a pay-off for the location.
Now it depends where you intend to ski, and Nyon / Chamosiere sector has some nice runs, and the Inferno is good too, but you're kinda limited to here, the Plenney and Les Gets.
The Portes Du Soleil is SOOOO much more than that.
I would suggest that if you're not going to Morzine Central, then Montriond is a better option than VdlM. You have relatively easy access to Super Morzine, Ardent & if you're feeling lazy you can get the little train across town to the Plenney.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ive rented with These guys before. Might be worth an e-mail.

http://www.whiteproperties-morzine.com
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@WindOfChange, agreed, Montriond, Ardent or Prodains would all be better.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@shockingmoment,
Start with a question, why Nyon? It seems that if staying at Nyon then your preference would seem to be to ski the Les Gets/ Morzine sector in preference to the Morzine /Avoriaz sector. If that's the case then why not base yourself in Les Gets. If you want to go to Avoriaz from Nyon then it's either the bus into Morzine or two chairs and two runs. From Les Gets it's two chairs and two runs. First week in March (I assume w/c 29/2) is the last week of French half term so still a little busy but not the worst ( Term dates here https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=139730 ) but as @karin, says
Quote:
You need to time your arrival at the lift station in the morning so you don't coincide with the ski bus - it's an old fashioned one up, one down cable car, and I seem to remember it can take a while to clear the bus queue.

Even if there is no-one queueing, if you've just missed the car going up it seems to take forever wait for the next car to come down and then get up to Nyon.
As @zzz, says the last bit of the run is
Quote:
not normally good snow
in March and not the best way to end the day.
Booking somewhere central in Les Gets would give you the benefit of easy walking distance to the main Chavannes lift, a lot of excellent restaurants and some nice but not overly excessive Apres.
A good place to start to look for accommodation is the Les Gets tourist office https://en.lesgets.com/organize-book/accommodation.html they also have links to the local estate agents who also rent direct and have more https://en.lesgets.com/organize-book/accommodation/estate-agency-1.html
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Now I’m confused. Nyon to Morzine is one lift, the telecabine followed by a skate across the plateau onto the blue run that takes you to the bottom of Fys.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@zzz, Apologies, Retour des Nants, it's just so rarely been open when we've been there that I had forgotten about it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks again folks. talked me out of Nyon. Apartment looked nice and the price was excellent, for good reason!
Les Gets or Morzine it is I suspect.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy