Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telemark shops/gear in Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm after a new set of Telemark bindings and I'm in Chamonix on Monday - does anyone know of a good place to get them from. After some G3's targa's (can't afford to go to NTN just yet!) Hoping to get the guys at Sole Lab to mount them for me using Quiverkillers - but they don't know this yet!

thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
we do now, go see jeremy at Otavalo, drop your skis and boots in and we'll give you the directions, close thread. Merci, Au Revoir, caio, bizous! xx
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice. Thanks.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi, I will be in Chamonix for New Years (first time) and we plan to ski Aiguilles du Midi, (among other areas but I don't know all the details yet!) We'll be flying in from the US and I am deciding whether I should bring my tele-gear or if I am able to rent it there? (I'll bring my boots, so just looking for skis/poles). Any suggestions? Thanks!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sbkmba@yahoo.com, welcome to snowheads. I've never personally been to Chamonix but it's got such a large community of high-mountain users I feel safe in saying that you will be abe to rent whatever you need. Someone more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly no doubt to recommend specific shops - do you know which village you'll be staying in?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@sbkmba@yahoo.com, It would be a reasonable expectation that Concept Pro (which I would recommend) , Snell, Sanglard, would all have ranges of tele kit but I have never needed to look.

Where are you staying?

And as an aside, just exactly what do you mean by " ski Aiguilles du Midi (among other areas...) " ?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks! We are staying at La Folie Douce Hotel Chamonix (it's a new hotel, I believe). We plan to hire a tour guide to take us to Aiguilles du Midi. My first time there - our friends were there last year. I know there are several different areas to ski - this is the only one we know ahead of time we will be skiing, with a guide.

If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

I'm also debating whether I might be better off with alpine gear instead.... I am a strong skier (and have been telemarking for 10 years or so) but I know it is a super long descent and I'm not sure my quads can take it. I'm not in the best shape I've ever been in....Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sbkmba@yahoo.com, OK, I'll be gentle... but [full_pedantry_mode]

FD isn't a new building but totally redecorated for last season. It's an interesting concept but I didn't actually get round to visiting last year so I have no personal experience. It has a bit of an apres ski theme... I think it has its own rental shop, who may have tele kit. Might be worth an email.

So you are planning to take a Mountain guide, NOT a tour guide (that's quite a different thing, some of them are a bit touchy and might react badly to being described as that) up the Aiguille du Midi tram to ski one of the Vallée Blanche routes. Not generally that steep, but somewhat long at more or less 20kms, per https://www.chamonix.net/english/winter-activities/off-piste-skiing/vallee-blanche. As I say, much isn't steep but in the glaciated areas you don't want to be on kit you aren't totally happy on.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the gentleness, LOL, it's appreciated. Yes, a mountain guide. I definitely don't want to cause any offense. And thanks for these other points as well. I will email the hotel to see what kind of gear they have. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sbkmba@yahoo.com, in addition to the restrained and helpful input from@under a new name, I would suggest that you don't pin all of your hopes on a guided trip down the Vallee Blanche. New year is very early to be skiing down there. I know that we have a good snow forecast for 2/3 feet of snow in the next week. But it will take a LOT of snow to render the VB safe for skiing and at all fun. The Chamoniarde website recently reported that the Argentiere and Rognon Glaciers were in a badly crevassed state. The VB will be not much better.

Have a look at the webcam images of the Mer de Glace too. Needs lots of snow to cover the rubble.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you HammondR. Seriously, I do not mean to insult anyone - the last time I skied in Europe, I was about 21, and 31 years later, I'm not educated on the terrain or the vocabulary! Friends who we will be traveling with were there last March, so that makes sense about the snow coverage. What would your recommendations be for skiing in the area so early into the season?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sbkmba@yahoo.com, some of the guides are really very touchy/grumpy. But equally, some are just delightful.

I think my recommendations would only include get the MB Unlimited pass as that opens up Courmayeur and Verbier (and Evasion Mont Blanc) - are you hiring a car? I would suggest that's a good idea.

I also wonder if the hotel organises its own "excursions". Well, at least they offer shuttles to the other areas - https://lafoliedoucehotels.com/en/hotel-chamonix/must-do-in-chamonix-mont-blanc - that reduces the need for a car...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Since they have the shuttles to other areas, we were not going to rent a car. We will definitely do the MB unlimited pass, and we'll be keeping our eyes on the snow fall. Truly appreciate your comments. Thanks.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sbkmba@yahoo.com, 52 years old. Oh you youngsters! The simplest approach to conditions is;

- if you are guided it won't matter. For your 350€ a day you will be taken to all the best stuff.

- if you are not guided (nothing wrong with either approach) ask on here where might be good a couple of days before you will be venturing forth. There will be people on the spot able to advise.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OK thank you! I'll be checking back to see where the snow coverage is in a few weeks!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy