Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boarding specific exercise/stretches pre holiday?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

What's the collective wisdom on the exercises and stretches you can do at home or in the gym in the weeks leading up to a holiday to help maximise time and effort on the slopes?

I do pilates weekly, and a reasonable amount of rowing either on the water or on machines. That gives me some core strength, a bit of stretching and mobilisation and some good quads work.

I'm thinking there must be some more ideas to strengthen through the ankles and help with building stamina to get lower whilst riding. Squats? Lunges? Anything else?

Thanks for any suggestions, or routines that others do.

Jess.
edit: Yes, I know there is a "Ski Fitness, Exercise..." forum, but wanted to get some boarding specific experience, so chucked it in here instead.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It sounds as though you are pretty fit already. As an older (and now retired....) snowboarder I found it difficult to get up onto my heel edge on the flat (easy enough on a hill!!). Practising that at home was worthwhile for me, though usually I just gave in and did it the easy way, onto the toe edge. Otherwise, squats have to be key for both boarders and skiers. And stretching lower calf muscle (gastrocnemius).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
drinking games with friends.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Core, calves and quads. In the gym, the one I like is balancing on a Bosu ball and doing squats and ankle flexes. Feels like its engaging the old snowboard muscles. At home, try standing on a stair or something solid and raising yourself up on your toes then dipping down past flat, and repeating, and try to keep your knees bent.

Take a look at Aimee Fullers stuff on YouTube or Facebook - she does a vlog thing called Fuller Fitness, some of its a bit hardcore but there is some beginner stuff there too.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try sitting on the floor in the hallway.
Progress by doing the same with an oscillating fan blowing at you.
3rd step is to get a mate to occasionally throw slush puppy at the back of your head and shout abuse.
If the spliff you're rolling still burns evenly, dude you're ready! Cool
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For me when boarding season comes ....

Not sure what this one is called (standing bird dog?) - stand on one leg - bend over - other leg pointed backwards in the air. Quads, hams and glutes should be rock hard on both legs. On the standing leg - knee bent over toes - toes opposite of pointed (just like riding) . Small balance movements in all directions.

Apart from that I do:
Oblique movement - band twists and window wipers
Hips/Posterior chain - double and single arm hinging swings - kettle bell style.
Squats as a static hold - wall sit. 3x1 minute+ while watching tv

Plus the usual keep fit/flexibility stuff.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As a nearly 50 year old boarder I try to touch my toes without losing bowel control sometimes. Helps with strapping in.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
admin wrote:
Try sitting on the floor in the hallway.
Progress by doing the same with an oscillating fan blowing at you.
3rd step is to get a mate to occasionally throw slush puppy at the back of your head and shout abuse.
If the spliff you're rolling still burns evenly, dude you're ready! Cool

Ah, thank you, will get those perfected.

I take it the skiers are all training too...

In a line, stand still, arms wide, close eyes.
Hold poles at arms length and line up until pole tips are just touching with adjacent people.
Now take one step closer to those around you, then rotate back and forth, eyes still closed.
If you're making contact with at least 3 people on each rotation, you've got it right. Laughing

Wouldn't it be a shame if we were all the same?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you all for the suggestions, will incorporate those into a little routine. And will check out Aimee's stuff.

Ta all!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tricep dips!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
leggyblonde wrote:
Tricep dips!

I used to find those really important for getting up on my heel edge, but the stronger my core is, the easier it is to get my weight over the board and stand up from there. Now they are just good for overall strength. They'll go on the list too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I always think about strengthening up before a trip, yet somehow never seem to get around to it..this year! Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A really good one I've found since having an ankle injury is facing a wall, put your hands against the wall and stand on your tip toes. Shift your weight onto one foot (my injured one recently) and hold for 45 seconds. For this you can then repeat on the opposite foot.

Purpose of this one is to build your calf strength and all of the stabilising muscles and ligaments around your ankles. Really good for Boarding as far as I'm concerned Smile

Seem to have everything else covered but I use this one all the time now to help with strength and stability.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

As a nearly 50 year old boarder I try to touch my toes without losing bowel control sometimes. Helps with strapping in.

Laughing Sometimes it's important not to shoot for the moon.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
One I do that I've been told helps:

Stand on one slightly bent leg, close your eyes.

Try not to fall over.

If by some miracle you get good at this, do it on a wobble board.
ski holidays
you seem to be on the face of it active and relatively fit ...... you ll get 100 and 1 different suggestions but the best functional stretch and exercise to do for snowboarding before you go snowboarding ..... is to go snowboarding .. (local slope ?)
snow report
Snowboardaddiction.com have a decent pre-season prep video. I do the circuit from this video during the autumn. Main one I leg is one-legged dead-lifts. Engages all the proprioception muscles and works your legs hard. The circuit includes some wrist and shoulder strengthening exercises for injury-prevention, which is a good idea and easily overlooked.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy