Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weight related to binding setting

Poster: A snowHead
under a new name wrote:

My best ever pre-release was both skis releasing at the heels as I took some air off a snow gun mound in Les Gets. Oops I though, this could be problematic.

Then I went straight back in again as I landed and carried on, nonchalantly (like a cat).

If only it had been deliberate - and captured..

Mine too.

In my case, it was skiing years ago in the 3V.

On our last day, there had been a couple of feet of new snow over night, so I was skiing the Off Piste between the Pistes.

One minute I was bouncing through 2' of Powder on my 2m planks; the next, I was flying through the air like a thrown Javelin - and like a thrown Javelin, I entered the snow head first at a 20 deg angle, and came to a sudden stop, with only my boots sticking out.

When I gathered my wits and extracted the snow from everywhere, I dug about for my missing skis....and found them 2' below the surface, parked neatly against a small wall, that some sadistic effer had put there, for no apparent reason, except to cause spectacular double releases. I did have a look around for a hidden camera.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is nothing magic about 50. But it the average 50+ skier, who might be say 60-65, almost certainly needs a lower setting than the average -50 skier, who will be say 30-35. As well as bone density, soft tissues such as tendons & ligaments start to lose flexibility (and take a lot longer to repair) as you get older.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Old Fartbag, you miss my point perhaps that I released both skis, my toes stayed in and when I landed my heels went straight back in and I skied on as though nothing had happened.

@Shep has done exactly as you describe, on at least one occassion. I was laughing too hard to be of any assistance Embarassed just two little legs waving about, helpless in the air.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, you miss my point perhaps that I released both skis, my toes stayed in and when I landed my heels went straight back in and I skied on as though nothing had happened.

My bad....that's what I get for skim-reading. Embarassed
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Old Fartbag, easily done he he he
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Old Fartbag,

I've managed to achieve similar things including superman release to involuntary flick-flack in my less-sensible youth.

That said, what you describe is the antithesis of PRE-release.

@under a new name,

I'm trying to picture how that could possibly happen - guess you must have landed on just the right gradient/speed to let your weight fall on your heels. Ordinarily you'd better on going over the handlebars I reckon.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jedster, I was expecting a bit of a wheel of destruction and nearly fell over in surprise when it didn't happen!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jedster wrote:
@Old Fartbag,

That said, what you describe is the antithesis of PRE-release.

Absolutely....Possibly a "Pre-Flight" release!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm in the same boat as @jedster. 76kg and am now 52 but I am fitter and skiing harder than I ever did whilst younger. My two off piste skis are set between 9 and 9.5 and if I go any lower I get too many pre-releases, especially on jumps or drops or skiing into hollows in heavy snow. I recall though that one day I had changed between touring boots and my usual boots and had 2 entertaining crashes due to a ski popping off. I had failed to reset the forward pressure to the other boot and it took me half the day to realise Laughing

My piste skis are set a bit higher as in the last few years I can only recall any high speed crashes as due to a ski popping off hitting bumps aggressively. I believe that overall I would be more at risk of injury if I lowered the DIN. It is best to start a little lower and then increase slightly if you start to pre-release, once you reach a point where it stops happening then stick with that.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have an app: Ski DIN Settings by "skyworks.hr", with a very sensible disclaimer that it's for information only. Yeah, right but I promise not to sue you.
Anyone else use this or have an opinion?

With 7(!)* pairs of legs to calculate it seems to fit the AFNOR chart well. If I plug all the current data into the chart I get basically the same answers I already had apart from child 1 (I have him 1 row too low because he hurt a knee in the mist when he skied into an ice pyramid some idiot had built on the "piste"**) and Mrs H (who is 3 rows lower because she also bust her knee skiing a blue that no-one else wanted to in May***)

The one that doesn't quite fit is me. I'm 55 with 25+ weeks skiing in the last 40 years and I hover around that 78kg mark. Ski level wise: I'm closer to a 9 than an 8, and I'm reasonably fit (trying to run 10k in less than my age). I'm told I ski smoothly but I don't ski "aggressively on all terrains"... I'll go defensive after a few moguls if I'm not fresh because my timing goes (tired legs), ice is a psychological lottery and I'm no good in deep stuff (no practice; really unlucky with weather). With a BSL of 313mm, I think the chart says I should be on 5.5 but I ski on 6.5 and my skis seem to come off before it hurts but after falling is inevitable.

Anyone think I'm taking a risk I shouldn't?

* Does not include a dog, cat, etc.
** It was Glencoe...
*** That was Glencoe too... she tells me being stretchered down the access chair is terrifying
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wince reading this thread, I must ski like a a fairy! Bindings are only ever up to 5 and in all honesty possibly a tad lower. I have had two incidents when bindings have not released and the pain caused to the knees was horrible! I am a big believer that if I am skiing properly and loading the ski correctly then there will not be any "pre-release".
My vital stats are 5'11," 77kgs (ish) advanced skier. Age 59 next March.
Good luck to all at Din 9,10 etc!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Rogerdodger, Were they low speed falls? That can put a lot more strain on your knees whereas if you are tanking at 60+kph bouncing from edge to edge any crash is likely to easily dislodge a ski from the binding due to the forces involved.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’m short and fat so dreaded my last ski hire shop visit and didn’t think I could get any more humiliated. Until he asked my age which I haven’t been asked before. This prompted my best WTF?!! face. He said bindings are set differently for women over 50 because of brittle bones. So I left there feeling old, short and fat instead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm a big bloke, 55 (today Very Happy ) ski fairly quickly and have bindings on 8/8.5

Luckily I don't come a cropper much, but when I do the bindings release perfectly. No jolt or anything. Never had a false release either, so I'm happy with that as a setting.

Agree that slow incidents can be worse as there ain't as much force so the binding may well stay put.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@martinm, Happy Birthday
snow conditions
I also usually adjust for the snow conditions. My theory is that if there's lots of fresh snow, the bindings are slower to react, because the snow is more prone to moving under the ski, absorbing the twist impact. The worst injuries I saw were when the knee was twisted slowly, when the bindings failed to react. In this conditions I decrease the number by 1-1.5 points, as the worst that can happen is me swimming the the snow.
However my personal worst injury so far has been on hard (very enjoyable!) snow, when my binding decided to let go due to a simple bump (left by a snow cat) hit at around 60-70 km/h, and my flying ski hit my knee. Nothing serious, but I had to ski from the top of Hintertux down to the mid station on one leg. Luckily it was the last day of my holiday.
I was 65 kg, intermediate, the setting was at 7.
snow conditions
I consider myself a “Type II” skiers, as I don’t go very fast and, I pride myself as a finesse skier who ski “efficiently” even in technical terrain (moguls/off-piste). For 20+ years, that self classification had resulted in reasonably appropriate binding settings.

Yet, once I went over the “magical” 50, I experienced several unintentional releases in mogul fields.

Now I change my classification as “Type III” for binding setting purposes. My rationale is, the binding charts are probably set for the Joe Average who stop skiing off piste past 50 (if not stop skiing altogether) rolling eyes
snow report
Got new skis today and I expected the DIN to be at at 7, because they always used to be at 7 and Jon calculated it at 7 for Hemel (6 indoors), but the ski tech gone and set it to 8.5 with a Gallic shrug and ’that is the value I am setting’. I’m 5 foot 9, 82 kg, 280mm shoe and intermediate. Never changed them myself before - should I? Is it easy?
snow conditions
@Oitbc, It is very easy to do, just a screwdriver adjustment, but the knowledge behind it to do it safely is very dependent on how much you know. However, taking a DIN setting down is pretty risk free apart from potential crashes caused by pre-releases. I'd advise taking them down and poping into your local ski shop to check up. I always set my bindings a little low, then see how many pre-releases I get and increase by 0.5 until I stop popping out.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 8-12-19 11:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Scarpa, thanks
snow report
Oitbc wrote:
Got new skis today and I expected the DIN to be at at 7, because they always used to be at 7 and Jon calculated it at 7 for Hemel (6 indoors), but the ski tech gone and set it to 8.5 with a Gallic shrug and ’that is the value I am setting’. I’m 5 foot 9, 82 kg, 280mm shoe and intermediate. Never changed them myself before - should I? Is it easy?

Oitbc, Your chart setting for Type II a skier is 7 and I'd recommend setting them to that. The 8.5 setting is for a Type III skier. If you google the descriptions I think you'll agree that you're a Type II. Go with 7 and follow Scarpa's advice re adjusting if you pre-release etc.

What skis/bindings are they?
snow conditions
@spyderjon, it’s the Kastle dx85 that I was chatting to you about yesterday with what I imagine is a rebadged tyrolia k10 binding.

Side-note - partner ordered about £100 of stuff off your website for me with instructions I have to get the 88 edge angle and 120mm file after Xmas but she’s got me everything else.

Of course I may be reading the din setting wrong Smile but can’t post a pic

On the front binding there is a white part which has a black line on it and that black line points to 8 and the white thing ends at 6.5. On the back it’s a red part and no lines and that ends at 8
latest report
under a new name wrote:

@Shep has done exactly as you describe, on at least one occassion. I was laughing too hard to be of any assistance Embarassed just two little legs waving about, helpless in the air.

More than one occasion.... Embarassed

I can also verify that when inverted and dangling from skis caught in tree branches above a (fortunately small) drop, heel bindings set at 8 will support your bodyweight. Until your ski buddy (Nickski in this instance) cruelly releases both and allows gravity the victory of which it had been deprived! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
I am interested in this topic. I set my DIN, according to some formula taking the usual factors, about 14 years ago. I haven't changed them since. Why not? Because I am the same weight, same height (maybe 1/2 inch shrinkage with age) and skiing at the same speed, maybe a bit faster/harder over the years. I find that I often get a ski release if I fall. If I had been adjusting the DIN down over this time, wouldn't I be losing skis on every little bump? I'll try and find the formula and check what difference my age would make. Most resorts have places where you need to schuss as fast as you can to avoid poling and I don't fancy having a ski fly off at speed.
ski holidays
Moondog wrote:
I find that I often get a ski release if I fall.

It's better than them not coming off, take it from me.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy