Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Helmets

Poster: A snowHead
Currently skiing in Courchevel. Did i miss something? Simply alarmed by the number of people not wearing a helmet. Not just older French skiers either.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are they Russian?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As a helmet wearer I feel it is up to adults to make a decision whether they should wear one or not.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I never used to, then I smashed my head on a piste and now never board without one. As Rabbie says, adult choice I guess.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why do you care what others are wearing? I agree with Rabbie, it's up to adults to decide if they want to wear them or not.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good thing you're not twenty years older. You'd have been utterly horrified! How did we survive?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We started skiing before helmets were a thing. I wore one for a few years when the kids had to wear one in lessons but Mrs Higs never has. When mine needed replacing I didn't bother and have been skiing without again for about 5 years. I've definitely been in a minority for the last few years but wonder if the trend is heading in the other direction now?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helmets are for tbe blinkered & deaf skier...

Most dangerous people on the slopes.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stanton, please do not mock those of us who through advancing years need glasses and hearing aids. Given the amount of self-abuse you appear to indulge in your times for these will come sooner than for most.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Never said I did care! As an adult you can make your own decisions (unless they change the law and naje it compulsory). Simply an observation shared on a skiing forum.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oxymoronracing wrote:
Never said I did care! As an adult you can make your own decisions (unless they change the law and make it compulsory). Simply an observation shared on a skiing forum.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Val Desire wrote:
Good thing you're not twenty years older. You'd have been utterly horrified! How did we survive?

Trouble is you need them now because of theose folk who spend thier days throwing skis of cliffs wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Oxymoronracing,
Quote:

Never said I did care! As an adult you can make your own decisions (unless they change the law and naje it compulsory). Simply an observation shared on a skiing forum.

Are you quite sure about that statement?
@Oxymoronracing,
Quote:

Simply alarmed by the number of people not wearing a helmet.

I on the other hand am not alarmed by helmet wearers or non-helmet wearers either way.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When I started skiing, mid 80's, helmets were only worn in ski classes for the very young. Never worn one myself, except indoors, where it's compulsory if using the artificial bumps.

I was always happy with a hat, or headband (to keep ears warm Very Happy )

However, as I won one in a competition, I feel obliged to take it with me if it fits in baggage size limit. rolling eyes

It might end up being carried round in a backpack if it's uncomfortably hot.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My youngest son knocked himself out while snowboarding without a helmet. We had to accompany him down in the body bag and neck brace, then on to hospital in the valley for a brain scan, to see if he'd hurt himself seriously. Fortunately not, in the event. Ever since, we've worn helmets and only last winter mine saved me from being knocked-out at a minimum, or worse. I am not dangerous on the slopes. It doesn't give me a false sense of security in any way. This is just a comment to balance the usual "I've been skiing since the late Cretaceous and never needed a helmet." comments. Of course, it's up to you to decide either way.
ski holidays
adithorp wrote:
Val Desire wrote:

Trouble is you need them now because of theose folk who spend thier days throwing skis of cliffs wink Toofy Grin

NehNeh NehNeh
latest report
All I want for Christmas... is another helmet debate?!
ski holidays
To be fair to Stanton, I think he was saying that helmets make you deaf and blinkered...not that deaf and blinkered people wear them.
ski holidays
Handy Turnip wrote:
All I want for Christmas... is another helmet debate?!
just what I was thinking!
ski holidays
First wore a helmet as moral support for my wife: her skiing got worse through excessive caution due to worries about collisions at a red slope bottleneck in Selva and the thought was a helmet would increase confidence. I wasn't looking forward to it, so was pleasantly surprised to find the helmet wasn't as heavy or claustrophobic as I expected, was far superior to anything else I'd skiied in at keeping my ears warm, and allowed easy "parking" of goggles when I preferred sunglasses.

If I hadn't tried one then, I would probably still be wearing a woollen hat. And I would have justified that to others. It's a choice.

(Happily I have never been in any incidents that threatened my head).
snow report
Oxymoronracing wrote:
Currently skiing in Courchevel. Did i miss something? Simply alarmed by the number of people not wearing a helmet. Not just older French skiers either.

Why are you alarmed?
snow report
Oh well, at least it beats another dismal politics thread.
snow conditions
The only people without helmets that I’ve seen in VT this week are the ski instructors!! Very Happy
snow conditions
Oxymoronracing wrote:

look your own business. Same could tell about half of new threads during past week. Questions about make up on the hill, skier struggles because someone thinks he attached his skis to backpack in wrong way etc. Look at your own yard, mind your own business, don't judge anyone, because at the end of the day - you are all boring, old, fat skiers.
snow report
I never really take much notice, ( except when a thread like this pops up) I still see a lot of people without helmets, there isn't an age demographic for it either, some older people do wear them, some younger ones don't. I did see a woman once on the slopes skier not boarder and she had a backside protector on. I did think that was funny.
snow conditions
The perfect answer to the debate..."it's not the helmets that are the problem, but the people inside them" Very Happy
snow report
Helmets are for Fools and Tools.

The most dangerous advice ever given to vacational skiers....

False Sense
snow conditions
@Oxymoronracing, did I misunderstand something. We're you alarmed by the number of people wearing helmets or not wearing helmets?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Oxymoronracing, did I misunderstand something. We're you alarmed by the number of people wearing helmets or not wearing helmets?
snow report
@stanton, I wish I could be as certain about anything as you are about this. If I give you a list of issues would you be so good as to tell me what my opinion should be, it will make life so much simpler.
snow report
Oxymoronracing wrote:

OMG an alarmed snowHead!
latest report
What is the internet equivalent of green ink?
latest report
What is the internet equivalent of green ink?
ski holidays
stanton wrote:

False Sense

Yes, people have been conned. Helmets don't even do what they think they do - they do not prevent concussion. They do help protect against skull fracture (which is a good thing if you hit that hard but you might be a gonner anyway). The helmet/goggle combo most definitely takes away a certain degree of awareness and peripheral vision and probably hearing too - I know this from the groups I ski with, it's obvious. There are instances where people will claim that their helmet 'saved their life' but maybe their decision making beforehand would have pre-saved them.

Was away last week and I thought I noticed a slight trend back towards the beanie camp.

Ban helmets and see if the rate of SHIs changes - it won't.
latest report
stanton wrote:

False Sense

I bet more have been injured by not wearing helmets tha by wearing them, why dont we stop wearing seat belts too
latest report
As I understood it, if you don’t ski among trees or rocks, a helmet stops two skulls cracking each other when people collide.
snow report
@Rabbie, I didn’t realise it makes you deaf as well!
latest report
@Rabbie, I didn’t realise it makes you deaf as well!
snow report
Really handy when someone pulls the bar down on the chair before you are fully seated!
snow report
Helmets:

Pros:
Comfy and warm.
Hold googles in place.
Can park goggles above easily.
Can offer a degree of protection against head injuries.
Helmet strap useful for holding neckwarmer in place.

Cons:
Can give a false sense of security.
Some restrict peripheral vision (although I'd argue that goggles/sunglasses do this too).
Seem to stop people from being able to turn their heads.
Can be too hot on a warm day.

I think that just about covers the argument.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy