Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

No idea where to start - Be nice, I'm new here!

Poster: A snowHead
@welshflyer,
Sorry, yes, still going to Levi.

Husband has skied a reasonable amount but not for a few years. Kip Jr and I are total novices.

Plan is to do lots of other things as well and use this as an intro to some skiing to Kip Jr.

I know we can book private lessons or do group ones and wondered if anyone had any experience of them.

@Chris_n, seems to have posted a good link which I'll take a look at as well.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not quite sure it's a good link!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Chris_n,
It's interesting for sure. Will now go off and check my info is up to date!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Kip,

I will make two main assumptions about going to Levi at Xmas. Because it is so far north it will be very cold and the amount of daylight will be very limited when compared to ski resorts in France, Austria etc.

It is essential to take ski lessons it doesn't matter if they are private lessons or in a group. Private lessons will of course be more expensive and because there are only 2 or 3 of you it will be quite intensive. If you're in a bigger group lesson you will get more of a rest. When having lessons you may get cold standing around while the instructor is explaining things and as each pupil takes their turn.

Make sure you have good warm clothing, layering can be better to provide more warmth. I wear at least 3 layers in the colder months a base layer, a mid layer and an outer layer. I will usually also carry an extra mid layer in my back pack. Your extremities get cold more quickly therefore get good ski gloves and have inner gloves and or disposable hand warmers. A good warm hat, face covering and goggles are essential. If you're getting too cold you must tell the instructor straight away to make sure you're not getting frost bite.

This advice may all sound a bit negative but the mountains in winter are a fairly hostile environment when you get bad weather.

Do any of you wear glasses, it can be more difficult to get goggles or helmets to work with glasses.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@welshflyer,
Thank you, all great advice.

Glasses, yes, both Mr Kip and I do. That was something I was going to ask but kept forgetting. Is it worth getting contacts for the trip? My near sight isn't great now (old eyes = reading glasses) but not sure how much I'd need that if the benefits of contacts outweigh close up vision!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think, with the plan to pursue some other activities during your holiday, private lessons may be the way to go, to maximise the learning opportunities in your skiing time snowHead .
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kip wrote:

Glasses, yes, both Mr Kip and I do. That was something I was going to ask but kept forgetting. Is it worth getting contacts for the trip?

If you are able to wear contact lenses, then I would recommend doing so. Much easier than having glasses steam up inside your goggles.
I would also strongly recommend private lessons if you are able to afford the premium as the instructor will then tailor everything around your family group
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would recommend getting a couple of lessons on a local dry slope before you head out (I am assuming that the nearest snowdome is some distance from Devon). Whilst skiing on snow is obviously different to a dry slope you can at least get the basics which would mean you will have less standing around whilst in Lapland.

Having skied in Sweden, Canada and New England I know the cold can extract the enjoyment from the activity. To avoid this I would recommend you invest (or borrow/rent) good quality gloves and socks and be prepared to wear plenty of layers on the slopes. My wife, who feels the cold more than I do will often wear a thermal base layer (top and bottoms) a second thin top, roll neck, fleece, snood and ski jacket. She has thin thermal gloves to wear inside her ski mitts and also takes hand warmers (you can get reusable types).

This may sound over the top but if you do get too warm you can remove layers whilst once you start feeling the cold it can spoil your day.

Hope you have a wonderful trip. The Northern Lights are pretty strong at the moment so with any luck you will get to see The Aurora too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the advice everyone, always good to know what others wear and I think handwarmers will be a great investment too.

Looks like a trip to the optician is in order too.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
How exciting that you have booked. I'm pleased that you have updated the thread.

Lots and lots of layers, you can remove them if needed. I've not skied in Lapland but I have been to Reykjavik in January and it can get cold like you've never experienced before! The best piece of advice I received about staying warm was from our local Northern Lights guide who said that multiple pairs of socks are a no-no because they actually make your feet colder, you want natural fibre socks and just one pair. So for time spent out of ski boots, I would invest in some 100% wool socks for all of you. I bought some in Reykjavik and they are incredible. I wouldn't ski in them though. There will be someone who can better advise on ski socks for such low temperatures.

I agree with the comments about a couple of lessons at a dry slope. The surface is completely different to snow, but we did a lesson before our first family ski holiday last February (just before the world went topsy-turvy) and it was great just to get us familiar with the equipment. If you can do a learn to ski course and get comfortable with the basics, you'll be at an advantage when you get to resort.

Regarding glasses and goggles, would you be open to investing in a helmet each with built in goggles? I don't wear glasses but much reading of forums like this lead me to believe that built in goggles are better for glasses, and these ones claim that glasses can be worn underneath.

Mr. Owlette has this helmet https://www.amazon.co.uk/Salomon-Driver-Helmets-Black-Medium/dp/B07BSRWMZH/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=salomon+helmet&qid=1636458530&sr=8-7&tag=amz07b-21

And I have the ladies version. Not in stock on Amazon, but available here https://www.precisionski.co.uk/en/helmet-ski-for-women/34128-105611-ski-helmet-salomon-mirage-black-rose-gold-solar.html?SubmitCurrency=1&id_currency=2&gclid=CjwKCAiA1aiMBhAUEiwACw25MdpQVwsUg3fPiBEd9B85DckPj5-VKqZBh3gvrOOlsBbLBZSetB2yFRoCA90QAvD_BwE
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Owlette,
We are very excited, now for the slightly dreaded shopping for the child!
All clothing advice is gratefully received too!
I looked at Decathlon as their stuff gets good reviews but thinking I may just eBay
clothing for the child as she'll grow out of it fairly quickly.
The search is on!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@owlette

I have a visor helmet from Bolle. (See link below for several visor helmet choices) As a glasses wearer who doesn't get on with contact lenses I purchased this a couple of years ago. The visor can be raised and lowered easily with gloves on and air circulates underneath when visor is in the "down" position so no steamed glasses. Most helmet visors come with an option of 2 shades so ideal for sunny and flat light conditions

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=bolle+ski+helmet+with+visor&adgrpid=52051419326&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9aX5zdiL9AIViO5RCh024QxXEAMYASAAEgLOQvD_BwE&hvadid=259088682922&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1007460&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=10543108597671957345&hvtargid=kwd-304378373701&hydadcr=13244_1819362&tag=amz07b-21&ref=pd_sl_55ys77epa8_e
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We used a mixture of Decathlon, eBay and Mountain Warehouse. Husband bought the complete set from Mountain Warehouse as he liked the convenience. Son 1 and I were eBay and son 2 was Decathlon. Decathlon charge postage so I tend to only buy there when I'm doing a reasonably sized order.

Keep an eye on Facebook Marketplace too. Things come up on there at good prices.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kip

Apologies, above post should have been addressed to you and not to @Owlette
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Owlette,
Was that what you used in Reykjavik? Just curious if MW and Decathlon stuff is good enough for the potentially very low temperatures we might get.
I imagine Decathlon will but I'm not sure about MW.
ski holidays
@nahdendee,
That's a good idea. Only us adults who wear glasses so a one off buy isn't such an issue.
snow report
In Reykjavik I went for a super warm coat. I don't wear that one skiing as I'd boil.

When we did the NL tour I wore:
Merino wool base layers
Fleece lined waterproof trousers (similar to salopettes but more fitted
Icelandic wool jumper
Huge jacket
Thermal gloves
Woollen hat (bought in Reykjavik)

It got down to -20 and I was comfortable.

Links here. Just gone looking for the jacket and they have it in purple now. Mine is the moon blue.

Jacket
Wantdo Women's Warm Windproof Coat Mountain Ski Jacket Waterproof Windbreaker Winter Coat Hooded Snow Jacket https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XPZKQL9/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_RVXQJ6YFXJFMK47352ZW?psc=1&tag=amz07b-21

Trousers similar to this..
donhobo Womens Waterproof Softshell Trouser Winter Warm Fleece Lined Hiking Trousers Ski Pants https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YFVR5BV/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_6CR2QS646AFC5RJ76RCJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21

Stick with natural fibres close to the skin (merino wool base layers, silk glove liners) and you'll be fine.
latest report
Husband wore Berghaus in Iceland. He opted for non wool base layers, his jeans (I was horrified at this) and a shell waterproof layer on top. He went for base layer top, t-shirt, zip up fleece and then a waterproof shell. He was also lovely and warm so it worked for him.

He runs hotter than me. When we ski in just below freezing conditions, he prefers to wear salopettes with no base layer underneath as he gets too hot. Son 1 is the same. Son 2 is like me and likes to layer.

With layers you have options for everyone to adapt according to their preference.

Oh and re MW, husband's ski jacket is excellent. It would have been fine for Reykjavik. The key is the under layers.
snow report
I lived in Finland but didn't get north of Oulu and skied only on the hills around Helsinki. In deep winter you can expect very short days and floodlights there. I'm kind of used to Lancashire and BC so didn't find it particularly cold, except don't expect to make even short outdoor walks without full protection including a hat. You would not for example want to walk far only in jeans (use ski pants or wear some lycra under the jeans). In the south the runs are short and the lifts mostly T-bars. I'd do a few laps then go inside to warm up, then repeat. It's not a problem, just something you have to deal with. The hills typically have the temperature up on a big sign somewhere so you know what you're into.

I've no experience of tuition there but I'd expect it to be delivered in excellent English and to be good. The locals should all be able to ski before they can walk, so the classes may be mostly tourists. Which reminds me of my work mate who was learning to cross country ski in Helsinki. He was surprised that the normally extremely polite Fins would laugh at him when he fell over... until someone pointed out that they all assumed he was drunk, because how could you be that old and not know how to ski? Expect good cross country ski facilities, also outdoor ice skating etc.

If it's very cold the standard thing is to loosen your boot clips and wiggle your toes to keep the blood flowing. An instructor would ensure all that's done right.

I wore contacts when I was in Finland and other cold places without any issues. But then it's the least moist place I've ridden I think. I'd not worry about that. If you're riding in floodlights you may want a very different lens from what you'd want in the Alps in full sun, so I'd not invest in expensive stuff you can't change, if you see what I mean. You would need to wear goggles not sunglasses.
snow report
Lots of good advice above.

One thought is to consider getting some lessons in a snowdome here in the UK, if that is viable; it will make the trip to the Apls much more enjoyable as you won't be spending all of your time on the nursery slopes to sart off with.

As for resorts at Easter, if you wanted to consider Austria somewhere like Obergugl, for example, is high and snowsure with most places in the resport being or close to ski in - ski out. It's what we did under similar circumstances and worked really well.

Very exciting!
ski holidays
@Kip,

Other shops for better value gear are TK Maxx or Tresspass if they are near to you.

You are probably doing other activities in the snow & dark skies. Make sure you have warm boots suitable for walking in snow/on ice and warm socks.

If the skies at night are clear and dark wrap up warm and go out and do some star gazing. If you're lucky you may even see the aurora borealis (the northern lights). If you see them it will be the highlight of your trip.
latest report
Also maybe offer your 9 yo the choice of skiing or boarding.

The learning curve for boarding is steeper, but it means that by Friday they'll be able to tackle more interesting pistes than a 5-day skier.

Other advantages for first timers :
    The boots don't hurt
    Less stuff to carry
    You don't have to do snow-ploughs
    Makes you different from mum and dad ( in a good way )
    Slushy easter snow is enjoyable on a snowboard
    Your 9 yo will be eternally grateful for your open mindedness
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy