Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chatel to Les Gets

Poster: A snowHead
Question for those who know. Is it feasible/sensible to do a days skiing in Les Gets if based in Chatel? Would it be better to ski (via Avoriaz and Morzine) or just get a bus (is there one??)?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Certainly possible and quite a nice day of distance munching easyish runs. Only thing to watch out for is do NOT miss the last lift from Lindarets valley (Chaux Fleurie) home otherwise its a 50k taxi ride or hotel stay in Morzine.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@CAH, easily possible provided reasonably average pace. And only by ski. It does include a short walk across Morzine. There isn't a direct bus (it wouldn't be very direct).

It's not a route I've done but back in the day there was a local challenge, starting wherever really,

Start-point to each in any order of Chery-Nord, the far point in Torgon, Champery cable base and back to start. Pretty much the extremities of the PdS.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both. I like the sound of the four points challenge...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not to be pedantic, but the answer to the OP's question is no. You'll spend half the morning getting there, half the afternoon getting back, and if you want a nice lunch in Les Gets actual skiing time there will be limited. Great day out though!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My son does lessons in the morning in Morzine/Les Gets and a different lesson in the afternoon in Chatel. So yes not a problem, we’ll be doing it most days this season.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@shep, depends on start point surely? and that is the point of the PdS, non? to travel, the destination is not the objective wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

You'll spend half the morning getting there, half the afternoon getting back

But isn't that the whole point of doing something like this. The joy of the PDS is that you can travel to different villages by ski and not ski the same piste or go on the same lift twice in a day. One of our best excursions when staying in Chatel involved a planned overnight stay in Les Gets. Skied over in the morning, skied the bowl during the afternoon, stayed at La Turche overnight, Mont Chery and back to Morzine on the following morning and back to Chatel in the afternoon.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes kinda depends on where in Chatel you are staying......couple of years ago I was staying at the bottom of the Panthiaz lift which is actually in La Chappelle d'abondance, but covered on the Chatel only lift pass.

Quite a schlep to just get from there over to the opposite end of Chatel (where it meets Avoriaz). Probably looking at about 6 chair lifts and a gondola.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not disputing any of that, but if your start point is Chatel, you can't "do a day's skiing in Les Gets".
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
True Shep, but depending upon the time of year you could manage 4/5 hours in Les Gets easily enough.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you're in PLJ for the crack of sparrows & take the first Pierre Longue lift (8h30) then Rochassons (8:40), you could be in at the Ardent gondola by 9:00 easily.
Get the bus to Morzine (starts at 8:15) and could could be at the base of the Plenney around 9:15-9:30.
So Les Gets by 10 is achievable.
You'd want to leave Les Gets by 3 to be sure of getting back in good time but you'd probably had enough Les Gets by then anyhow.
(Early Season Chaux Fleurie closes at 4:30, but later in the season you have till 5:30).

Skiing it would take a bit longer, but that might be why you have come all the way to the Alps Smile

Just out of curiosity, if you are starting atop Crete having just come up from the Lindarets valley on either Prolays or Lindarets Express, which way do you think would be fastest to the Plenney?
If you go via SM then you have the Park, Proclous piste, Serrassaix lift, Zorre Piste & SM Gondola followed by 5 mins walk.
If you go via town, you have retour, boulevard & Crot but no lift required, just a bus - but you might have a wait for the bus.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@shep, I read it as meaning “ can you get there and back” in a day, as skiing a “day” there is clearly not possible. I just assumed the OP wasn’t very good at reading maps, or indeed, googling bus timetables. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@WindofChange - I think if you're a decent speed skier then super morzine down would be way quicker than via Avoriaz town the big lift and the long bus from Prodain. Overall staying down in Linderets, the piste to Arden and the bus from there would be quickest though.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Assuming Linga to Les Gets bowl - it is possible but would need to take direct route (I would head to Prodains bus rather than Arden) & conscious of time ...

If quick you could get to the bowl within 2 hrs lifts permitting

I would avoid distractions like Crosset, Morgins, etc

Not sure that I would be sitting down for a long lunch though Very Happy
snow conditions
@MHskier, You do not need the "big lift" down - Crot takes you all the way down to the base of Prodains.
But I personally would go via SM as I prefer not to take the bus.
snow conditions
@WindOfChange, Super Morzine every time, I go to ski not sit on a bus, although no idea about total time
ski holidays
Ah yes forgot that run - it's quite long mind so possibly not much quicker than the lift? Anyway loads of great choices and there's probably only 5-10 min difference in all of them for the OP :->
snow report
"it's quite long mind so possibly not much quicker than the lift? " if empty and you can get a bit of speed on it's not that long and skiing would be way quicker than the lift. And skiing vs lift.
ski holidays
If the objective is to spend as much time skiing Morzine/Les Gets as possible then down to Ardent and catching the bus will be much quicker than either skiing to Prodains+bus or skiing via the S-M. If the aim is just as much skiing as possible, getting across to Les Gets and back then any of the options will work.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy