Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Head torches

Poster: A snowHead
Head torch?

Reading through a gear list for a british backcountry course & a head torch is on it. Any recommendation or what to look for much appreciated.

I did do a quick snowhead search and the last dedicated thread was in 2009.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Recently bought a couple of Petzl Aktic Core headlamps – USB rechargeable, 450 lumens (pretty bright), battery lasts ages and about 1/3 of the size they used to be. Seemed like a good compromise of functionality and price which was £50.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This will be in my sac this winter https://www.decathlon.co.uk/head-torch-trek-900-usb-id_8485463.html

Considering trying one of these too https://www.wildsnow.com/25124/coast-fl70-headlamp-review-ski/
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alpkit do very serviceable torches for reasonable cost. Most petzl torches are good too. My favourite is an LED LENSER se07r which has a rechargeable battery, but also accepts regular batteries. Try to go for at least 200 lumens output.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was enquiring about a head torch for emergency use for mountain biking and was advised (n an outdoor shop in Keswick), by a biker, to go for at least 300 lumens for off road biking. So 200+ sounds like it should be ok for hiking or ski touring. I've ordered a Petzl 300 lumens but it hasn't arrived yet.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I run into work in the dark, along canal towpaths, so am a daily headtorch user. Whilst it’s easy to compare lumens, it tells only part of the story.

I have a 580 lumen Alpkit qark, and a 200 lumen petzl bindi. The beam pattern on the bindi is so much better than the qark, such that the bindi is actually a much more usable headtorch despite, on paper, being a third of the brightness. Don’t get me wrong, the qark is a great headtorch and very good value, but the bindi is a third the weight and even better for me.

If you can, check that the beam pattern works for you and doesn’t cut off too sharply at the edges hence rendering your peripheral vision useless.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@WASHOUT,
Quote:

I did do a quick snowhead search and the last dedicated thread was in 2009.

A bit of an oversight by snowHeads, given how important head torches are on Bashes.

They've developed in leaps and bounds in the last 10 years, what with LEDs replacing candles

The Biolite 330 Rechargeable No Bounce is good, but not cheap at around £50. Bright and light in weight. If you don't like it, you can get a full refund within 30 days. Importantly it comes in 4 jaunty colours, allowing colour co-ordination with most skis/boards and clothing on the market.

Petzl range I'm told is good value, eg the Actik is about £23 if you run it on AAA batteries. Or for an extra £23 for Petzl's high capacity rechargeable battery. A nice Old Skool feature is that it includes a built in emergency whistle, though sadly not a life jacket.

I think a useful short guide to identifying good head torches for different needs and budgets is....
https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/the-knowledge/running/a-guide-to-choosing-a-headtorch.html
snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I used this one for the night descent on the last BirthdayBash. Worked a treat. I could see for about 25-30 yards and it only costs £7.00and runs on three AA batteries.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PBYZQOA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You don't need to go wild. Is this for skiing or general faffing in the dark? For skiing at night, your eyes get used to the low light quite quickly and you get a good feel for the mountain via the ambient light. The torch gives some relief and shadows to help with the immediate surroundings.

Led lights are fantastic these days, check out mountain bike headlamp reviews as this is probably the most common application. @awdbugga 's suggestion looks good. For a basic light. If you are in a group, there will be people around you who are packing lights which are brighter than the sun, so bask in their reflective glow!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I suspect that this is for one or more nights in a hut. In this case you want something as small and light as possible with AAA batteries - limited / no recharging in many huts. A red option is good for when you’re stumbling around trying to not wake everyone - or hold your torch inside your hand.

Petzl Tikka+ would be fine.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dont forget indicators and break lights.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I suspect that this is for one or more nights in a hut. In this case you want something as small and light as possible with AAA batteries - limited / no recharging in many huts. A red option is good for when you’re stumbling around trying to not wake everyone - or hold your torch inside your hand.

Petzl Tikka+ would be fine.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For hut faffing Petzl e+lite. Tiny, weighs nothing, not very bright. Sort of thing that should live permanently in your sac top pocket.

Wouldn’t want to use it for planned moving on the mountain.

I’ve got a led lender rechargeable which can also take 3xAAA. Used every night for dark cycle paths and performs well with spread and intensity controls.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I picked up a Black Diamond headtorch in Decathlon. Lightweight, amazing beam considering the size of it (combines two lamps on highest setting) and has a red light lamp function.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And if you're driving or hiring a car for transfer, remember to keep your head torch handy in case you need to get out and rummage in the boot, or have to put on chains. I keep a head torch in the glovebox all the time anyway.
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:

Why ruin good lights? Puzzled
snow conditions
Just make sure it can't be easily turned on in your rucksack. I spent ages choosing mine (lightweight, red bulb, etc), and it ran out of battery on day 3 of my Haute Route tour due to having been accidentally turned on while I was rummaging in my rucksack.
latest report
For quality and power LED lenser over Petzl every time . . .I have spent far too much time in life night fishing for monsters and have been through dozens of headtorches in all conditions.

If you want cheap and cheerful the high output energizers (battery brand) are as good if not better than most . . .
snow conditions
I’ve got a Black Diamond one which I use for sailing, which comes with me on ski trips. Don’t know what lumen it is,but it’s pretty bright, has variable beam intensity, red and green lights and is fully waterproof. Lasts ages on batteries.

That said, it’s probably overspecced for skiing, but I didn’t see the point in buying another when I already have a perfectly good one Smile

Ms T.
snow report
@Mistress Twerkle, I don’t think the latest poster who resurrected the thread is actually interested in head torches.
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
that would be lights that break then, no use to anyone.

Surely Sir you were intending a joke about "brake" lights ? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Oops, just saw the date, and spammer content too Very Happy
ski holidays
ster wrote:
@Mistress Twerkle, I don’t think the latest poster who resurrected the thread is actually interested in head torches.

Oops.

Must pay more attention rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy