Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lies!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
PeakyB wrote:
I've never noticed tour operators describing Brides les Bain accommodation as being in Meribel.

Any evidence?

Go on something like Booking.com, search for "Meribel", move the map around and you'll see half a dozen options all of which are cheap.

In the same way if you search for "Val d'Isere", move the map around you'll find options in La Daille or any of the other examples I gave, technically there's an argument both ways to say they are/aren't in the same resort.

These "back doors" are usually cheaper in the same way as the analogy someone else gave of budget airlines!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dear ski holiday bookers,

You have a wealth of information at your fingertips in the shape of the INTERNET. Please use it wisely and ensure that what you are booking meets with your requirements. You can check precise locations with Google Maps for example. Don't blame others for your own misuse of the information available.

Happy vacationing! Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've seen brochures in Australia listing Brides les Bains hotels under "Meribel". But who'd book something like that without reading a bit about the place first and working out where it is.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
endoman wrote:
You can also ski it like this.
http://youtube.com/v/UYmcm5bKvxk

Blimey that was a bit scary at times,very little room for error there at that speed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@marcellus,
Quote:

Go on something like Booking.com, search for "Meribel", move the map around and you'll see half a dozen options all of which are cheap.

Just done that, in an idle moment. It came up with 146 options, all of which are in Meribel or Mottaret (which I'd accept as Meribel valley). Furthest from centre is in Les Allues, showing as 2.6 miles from centre. None in Brides les Bains.

Then, for the hell of it, I searched on Brides les Bains. It produced 37 results all in, you guessed it, Brides les Bains.

Off for a well earned pint now.

snowHead

https://www.booking.com/searchresults.en-gb.html?aid=304142&label=gen173nr-1DCAEoggI46AdIM1gEaFCIAQGYAQm4ARfIARTYAQPoAQGIAgGoAgO4Arby-u4FwAIB&sid=a8e2da2a5adde84cf547b63b132d9e43&tmpl=searchresults&ac_click_type=b&ac_position=0&checkin_month=1&checkin_monthday=11&checkin_year=2020&checkout_month=1&checkout_monthday=18&checkout_year=2020&city=-1415225&class_interval=1&dest_id=-1451016&dest_type=city&dtdisc=0&from_sf=1&group_adults=2&group_children=0&inac=0&index_postcard=0&is_ski_area=1&label_click=undef&no_rooms=1&order=distance_from_search&postcard=0&raw_dest_type=city&room1=A%2CA&sb_price_type=total&search_selected=1&shw_aparth=1&slp_r_match=0&src_elem=sb&srpvid=fa587eeac86800e3&ss=M%C3%A9ribel%2C%20Rh%C3%B4ne-Alps%2C%20France&ss_all=0&ss_raw=Meribel&ssb=empty&sshis=0&ssne=Brides-les-Bains&ssne_untouched=Brides-les-Bains&top_ufis=1&rows=25&offset=125
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@marcellus, having said that, I don't class booking.com as a Tour Operator.

Originally I was referring to the likes of Crystal, Inghams, Mark Warner, Ski Olympic, Skiworld, etc etc.

But La Daille is for the discerning visitor to Val D'Isere as far as I'm concerned. And close enough for rock 'n' roll.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://www.instantstreetview.com/@45.463385,6.963595,189.77h,-13.68p,0z

At the entrance to Val d'Isere the sign says " D902 Val d'Isere". This is before La Daille, and consequently legally La Daille is in Val d'Isere.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
https://www.instantstreetview.com/@45.460091,6.965873,237.26h,6.3p,2z

They seem to have built a garage in the car park where I used to park (many years ago)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bigtipper, is there not an open car park near the base station of the Funival any more?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@PeakyB, It says P5 Plain de la Daille, Acces Ferme yet there seems to be lots of cars parked there. I'm not exacly sure what Acces Ferme means, although I know ferme means closed and acces means route or access road.

However, it looks like it can change the digital sign to be open. But cars still park there and there is no snow?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Piste Perdue is lovely but is much easier and gentler than even that video suggests, fabulous on a lovely sunny day and ideal for a little mellow cruising.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@FFIRMIN, Perdue hasn’t been a piste for the last 20 years has it?

Possibly an itinerary run but hardly ‘mellow cruising’ unless you’re being ironic?
snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Maybe it has changed in the many years since I did it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some further research now suggests that over the years it has acquired a "top half" which is steep and difficult although the bottom seems much the same, very pretty, undulating, twisty and then there is the tunnel to crawl through but I cant think the bottom is any different from what I remember although it seems the starting point(s) are a complete contrast.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PeakyB wrote:
@FFIRMIN, Perdue hasn’t been a piste for the last 20 years has it?

Possibly an itinerary run but hardly ‘mellow cruising’ unless you’re being ironic?
snowHead
Don't think it's ever been a piste! Mellow is not the first word that springs to mind, although the bottom part after the 'hole' is quite mellow. Maybe it's just that I don't really enjoy skiing stuff where I can't see what's round the next corner.
ski holidays
marodo2712 wrote:
Dear Ski Holiday companies,

La Daille ISN'T Val d'Isere.

Thank you.

If you are prepared to die on such a small hill as this, there is no need to treck all the way to Val Dizzary. Notting Hill would have been good enough.
ski holidays
La Daille is part of Val d'Isere, obviously.

It only requires a bare minimum of intelligence to be aware that are a few areas of accommodation in the Val d'Isere ski area.

The free bus is (or was last time I was there) excellent - and as a bonus La Daille is closest to the fantastic Funival funicular, and on top of that at the end of the equally lovely Orange piste with a girt great lunch stop at Trifollet halfway down for a carafe of wine and a tartiflette.

Good grief.
latest report
@coops1967, +1 for Trifollet pizzas!
snow report
If you are in La Daille you get to ski fresh tracks in the morning 15 minutes before people in Val D'sere

The lifts are awesome and uncrowded in comparison.

I'd rather be in La Daille the parts of town or worse Le Cret.

They don't lie you just don't look where your hotel is I assume as there are lots of places in Val centre with a longer walk to a lift
snow conditions
At the young age of 17 itching to get to chamonix , even i had the sense to do a bit of research
and realise i wasn't going to be walking to la tour, les houches , argentiere
Personally i would like to be based in la daille , it has my fav runs back into resort in the alps
snow report
Furthermore, I do not know if they still do it, but La Folie Douce half way down OK run to La Daille has the FT to read in paper form which for the price of a coffee early or mid morning the place is empty and the FT is fresh. Saves a fortune compared to buying one in La Daille newsagent at £10-£15 a shot!
latest report
Quote:

Saves a fortune compared to buying one in La Daille newsagent at £10-£15 a shot!

When such holiday essentials as the FT cost you £75 a week, that's a useful tip.
snow conditions
@pam w, Laughing (Digital is 5.35 a week)
ski holidays
Who wants to read the FT during skiing time? (Or any other paper come to that)
snow report
One has to keep up with one's portfolio, @T Bar.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

Of course but the print version will be late wink
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
pam w wrote:

Of course but the print version will be late wink
Much quicker to get a private audio feed from the BoE.
snow report
@endoman, That's how some d**heads might like to ski, but I don't have much time for skiers who don't show respect or courtesy to other skiers Mad Mad
Starting with the small group at the top, he could, and in my opinion should have gone round rather than through, he passed quite a number of others on the route at high speed, and dangerously close!

If any of those had not seen him coming, and been in the way, especially on the very narrow sections, I doubt very much that he could have stopped and avoided what could have been a very serious collision!

If anyone came that close to me at that sort of speed, I would be tempted, on the grounds of self defence, to stick out an elbow or ski pole. Better he hits a rock face than me!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
robs1 wrote:
endoman wrote:
You can also ski it like this.
http://youtube.com/v/UYmcm5bKvxk

Blimey that was a bit scary at times,very little room for error there at that speed

Remember folks, if you do decide to ski like that, be sure to speak in your best French accent Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
you'd best not look at the one where he does it in the dark.....
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:

Often when I read papers I skip all the tittle tattle and the front page news as it is largely irrelevant and only entertainment. The FT on the other hand, has to be read from front cover to the end. The clues are in the sections nobody reads. It is like a cryptic crossword puzzle, which only those with such minds can decrypt.

I must admit though, it is a bit expensive even in the UK in paper form.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 23-12-19 19:57; edited 1 time in total
latest report
That vid was all a set up. The kickers all had to be prepared and the footage was cleverly edited. Leo is un Avalin (bloke from Val D), his brother is a snowboarding instructor in resort.
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
That vid was all a set up. The kickers all had to be prepared and the footage was cleverly edited. Leo is un Avalin (bloke from Val D), his brother is a snowboarding instructor in resort.

Makes sense as in reality it just wouldn't happen snowHead snowHead
latest report
@chocksaway, It may have been a set up, but some other idiot might try to copy it after a few beers. Even without prepared kickers, the speed would be dangerous!

Still irresponsible, and people who live and work in the resorts should know better.
latest report
FFIRMIN wrote:
Piste Perdue is lovely but is much easier and gentler than even that video suggests, fabulous on a lovely sunny day and ideal for a little mellow cruising.

ive skied EK loads and dont even know where it is, where exactly is it?
snow conditions
[quote="brianatab"]@chocksaway, It may have been a set up, but some other idiot might try to copy it after a few beers. Even without prepared kickers, the speed would be dangerous!

Still irresponsible, and people who live and work in the resorts should know better.[/quote
To describe Leo Taillefer as a person who lives in a ski resort is a bit underwhelming, The guy is one of the best freeride big mountain skiers in the world. Pretty sure he had it covered
latest report
Mother hucker wrote:
FFIRMIN wrote:

ive skied EK loads and dont even know where it is, where exactly is it?

He exits gondola at The Folie, goes past Mont Blanc and Tommeuses chair skiers left. It's then straight in front of you, and you won't be skiing it at anything like the speed he does! He said he'd skied it hundreds of times since being a kid. Last time I skied it it was short of snow and we had to climb out where the people are in pink and white RHS toward the end of the vid. Sometimes it's skis off and a crawl in some parts.

He must have spent ages setting that up.
snow report
Bigtipper wrote:
T Bar wrote:

Often when I read papers I skip all the tittle tattle and the front page news as it is largely irrelevant and only entertainment. The FT on the other hand, has to be read from front cover to the end. The clues are in the sections nobody reads. It is like a cryptic crossword puzzle, which only those with such minds can decrypt.

I must admit though, it is a bit expensive even in the UK in paper form.

It's the during skiing time that was the thing I was thinking about rather than criticising the FT, which I quite like.
snow conditions
@Mother hucker, Still won't stop some drunken idiot trying to do it the same way. Maybe a "do not try this yourself warning at the start"
latest report
@brianatab, Hundreds of people ski it every week of the season (providing there is sufficient snow).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy