Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Hills Have Eyes.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK Sticking my head above the parapet here.

I too have not been inspired by the majority of Salamon products of late.

I ski 120+ days per year, and they just don't last the season. Not just mine, but also the opinion of most of the pros here at WB. You don't see many pros skiing Salomon here.

I'm not really a big fan of the way foam core skis behave. I prefer the damped and stable characteristics of a wood cored ski.

I owned a pair of Pocket Rockets two seasons ago. Absolutely brilliant ski for Powder. Large sweet spot, a great blast and lots of fun. However, thats it. Take it onto a groomer and it just won't hold an edge at high speed. As for hardpack and ice....... So some will say "well, it's a powder ski". And I say there are many more skis out there that go beyond mediocity. Like the Head Mojo90. It will perform in Powder, AND the groomer, AND still carve on hardpack. And the foam won't breakdown after a season.

I've owned 1080's, Crossmax's. The V12 this year is not bad, but again, has it's ass wooped by other products out there. Skiing the Salomon V12, Head iXRC1200, Atomic SX all in the Skiercross course this year, I know that the V12 will be the last ski I choose to go through this course.

Slaloms. Standard Retail 3V's just dont cut the mustard for me. Poor torsional stiffness, for one. Compared with the likes of a Fischer RC4, Rossi 9S WC, Head iSL WC. The LAB version is another story though. Great ski, the LAB 3V.

Streetracer series. Extreme carvers? Up to a point. You edge the ski so far, and it's OK. Angulate more, and then it all goes horribly wrong. The tips just give way, and don't hold an edge. Rack up the speed? speed wobble/flap starts happening. Bah. Go try a pair of Head Supershapes.

And so to the Screams. Good intermediate All mountain ski. Large Sweet Spot. You can get away with murder on these skis. However, the view from an instructor - if you want to take your skiing up to the next level, learn how to make ski's work for you (in terms of energy in, energy out), learn good edge control, refine your short radius turns, ski *technically* well, then this is not the ski for you. You need something with a stiffer tail to harness potential energy, you need a torsionally stiffer ski in order to hold an edge on hardpack and ice. Again, good recreational skier ski. BUT. Like the others before, there are many more products out there that do the same job, but BETTER all round for your money. Like the Nordica Hot Rod series for example.

Brilliant Marketing department, especially in the UK. Sounds like their customer service is also top notch (although I have a tale of the base bubbling, and a not satisfacory outcome - we will replace ONE of your skis, not both as a pair).

Good skis for recreational skiers, but if you want to take the sport UP a notch, there are better products out there that will perform much better.

Given that it's my livelihood, I can't afford to be changing my equipment more than once a season. So I need something that will last 1+ seasons.

<puts on tin hat>
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowbunny, Cheek!

Yeah, well, I spent yesterday half on a train through a very wet Switzerland (thank god it's mountainous or it would be underwater) and half in meeting, plus half in travelling so no, I haven't opened eyes yet, nor can I count fractions... ;-O

As for undemanding...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch, Wuss. Get up there Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This thread has gone really quiet, just to say I had 3 runs on next years Salomon X-Wing Series of skis, and they had some pazzaz to them. Gonna try them out more comprehensively at the weekend.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
veeeight, I've just caught up with this thread. That was excellent info you posted on Tuesday.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
veeeight wrote:
This thread has gone really quiet, just to say I had 3 runs on next years Salomon X-Wing Series of skis, and they had some pazzaz to them. Gonna try them out more comprehensively at the weekend.

Maybe the Atomic influence is coming through?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They are dropping the Scrambler series. The name, and product range, was just so.... meh!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So, anyone else tried any Shalom stuff they liked recently?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
veeeight, you mean like the Equipe GC Race, my "ski of the year"?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
One of the few Shalom skis with wood in it Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
veeeight, it's important to have wood.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
it's important to have wood.

as the tart said to the vicar. Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
veeeight, salamon labs slalom 2007 model, good ski same as last years really but different graphics. I am not a great salamon fan but these skis are good.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy