Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Thuile 2 Courmayeur 2 Chamonix in 1 Day (&back)?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello

I am on expat assignment (from the USA to London) and booked my first trip to the Alps to La Thuile. In my post-booking research euphoria I noticed the Aosta Valley pass and realized it would be feasible to take a day trip to Courmayeur - which I will do via bus. 

My question is, could I extend a day trip even further to Chamonix and still make it back to La Thuile? I also understand Chamonix is NOT on the Aosta Pass so I know I would need a different ticket. It appears I would have to bus back to Courmayeur so I am worried about timing.

I am fairly good skier (by US standards) and can handle any marked run and some off piste at  Jackson Hole, but have no idea how difficult it is over here comparatively, so if that matter it needs to be taken into account. 
The wife and kids would stay in La Thuile as they are beginners and that is why we chose La Thuile in the first place. 

Great forum here btw! glad I found it and will be happy to post any reports / answer any questions.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@garfmiller, welcome to snowheads.
You might struggle to do a day trip however there’s something fantastic you could do.

You could join a guided day from the top of the skyway at courmayeur and ski the vallee blanche all the way to chamonix which is one of the best off piste days in the world. The guided days from the courmayeur include a bus back from chamonix to courmayeur. These trips tend to run from mid January onwards.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@garfmiller, welcome to Snowheads. La Thuile to courmayeur is about 30 minutes by bus and they only run a fewtimes a day. You'd then have to get another bus from Courmayeur through to Chamonix (or get a guide to take you down the Vallée Blanche off piste route - it's glacial terrain though so DON'T assume you can just do it alone unless you are VERY experienced)

You can check bus timetables at the SAVDA website

http://www.savda.it/public/linee/allegati/817_it.pdf
http://www.savda.it/public/documenti/300.pdf

http://www.savda.it/en/67/courmayeur-chamonix/

Looks like the 08.10 from LT gets you into Courmayeur at 08.37, withthe 09.45 bus getting you to Chamonix at 10.30. You'd then have to get a bus out to the ski area

Coming back, the 17.30 from Chamonix gets you into Courmayeur aty 18.15 in plenty of time for the 18.35 last bus to La Thuile

From memory I think you get TWO days in other Aosta valley resorts on a siz day lift pass, and I'd definitely recommend a trip to Courmayeur, it's one of my favourite resorts. If you do go there I recommend Maison Vieille for lunch (near the drag lift of the same name), or Chateau Branlant next to the Chiecco drag. It's even worth a trip for the family if you fancy a bit of variation, and have some free days

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 22-11-19 10:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Edit - too slow typing and just repeating above!

If you're buying the valley pass I think that gives you access to the Skyway Monte Bianco. From the top there you can go down into Vallee Blanche on the French side without having to buy a Chamonix pass - a classic off piste route but I believe a guide is recommended due to crevasse risk.

Having got down into Chamonix I think there is a bus you can take back through the tunnel - just not sure how you'd get back up to La Thuile....

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 22-11-19 10:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.guidecourmayeur.com/en/scheda_valle.php?id_prg=205&id_stag=2&settore_valle=Vallée+Blanche&settore=The+Vallée+Blanche+ski+descent%3Cbr%3E&settore_bis=&ctmz=0
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jbob wrote:
@garfmiller, welcome to snowheads.
You might struggle to do a day trip however there’s something fantastic you could do.

You could join a guided day from the top of the skyway at courmayeur and ski the vallee blanche all the way to chamonix which is one of the best off piste days in the world. The guided days from the courmayeur include a bus back from chamonix to courmayeur. These trips tend to run from mid January onwards.

Thanks for the response. Good thought re: bus included back w/ a guide. My worry is being stuck on the French side Mt. B.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nbt wrote:
@garfmiller, welcome to Snowheads. La Thuile to courmayeur is about 30 minutes by bus and they only run a fewtimes a day. You'd then have to get another bus from Courmayeur through to Chamonix (or get a guide to take you down the Vallée Blanche off piste route - it's glacial terrain though so DON'T assume you can just do it alone unless you are VERY experienced)

Looks like the 08.10 from LT gets you into Courmayeur at 08.37, withthe 09.45 bus getting you to Chamonix at 10.30. You'd then have to get a bus out to the ski area

Coming back, the 17.30 from Chamonix gets you into Courmayeur aty 18.15 in plenty of time for the 18.35 last bus to La Thuile

From memory I think you get TWO days in other Aosta valley resorts on a siz day lift pass, and I'd definitely recommend a trip to Courmayeur, it's one of my favourite resorts. If you do go there I recommend Maison Vieille for lunch (near the drag lift of the same name), or Chateau Branlant next to the Chiecco drag. It's even worth a trip for the family if you fancy a bit of variation, and have some free days

@nbt
Thank you, timetable very helpful. even if some of the connections are close I assume I could always fall back on a cab.

I am definitely looking forward to sampling the ski - grab a drink - ski - have lunch - ski - get snack -ski - drink, drink cont... in europe as it doesnt really exists within the mountain in the US.

I would definitly get a guide for sure if I were to do the vallee blanche

Also any other recommended resorts within reach or worth striking out to that are nearby?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jbob wrote:
http://www.guidecourmayeur.com/en/scheda_valle.php?id_prg=205&id_stag=2&settore_valle=Vallée+Blanche&settore=The+Vallée+Blanche+ski+descent%3Cbr%3E&settore_bis=&ctmz=0

Thank you
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

The Aosta pass gives you access to a huge area but transport would be an issue the Monta Rosa resorts are a couple of hours away. Pila would be nice for a family day out and Aosta town is worth a visit. Worth thinking about is an off piste guided day at Courmayeur, where for around 100 euro there’s some great skiing to be had from the top of the Arp.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jbob wrote:

The Aosta pass gives you access to a huge area but transport would be an issue the Monta Rosa resorts are a couple of hours away. Pila would be nice for a family day out and Aosta town is worth a visit. Worth thinking about is an off piste guided day at Courmayeur, where for around 100 euro there’s some great skiing to be had from the top of the Arp.

@jbob - Thanks the map, definitely going to see what my wife will let me get away with in Courmayeur as far as guides go. Will consider Cervinia (probably too far) and Aosta town as well. Cervinia will probably be a 2021 stand alone trip for me.

thanks again.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I might be a bit lazy but LT to Courmayeur and onto Chamonix would be too manic in a day for my liking, regardless of your choice of route/transport. Whenever I stay in Courmayeur I always do a day in LT for a bit of variety and the terrain is great. Conversely, if I were staying in LT with my family I would certainly take them over to Courmayeur for the day. The scenery is stunning, I think there's plenty of pistes for their level (though if absolute beginners then maybe do the day trip towards the end of your stay) and you will certainly enjoy the lunches on offer in the restaurants alongside the Chiecco draglift, as mentioned before. To be fair it might be the long heavy lunches there making me lazy but that's all part of it. If you do go, make sure you book Branlant/Maison Vielle/Chiecco as they are always busy.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think that will be the base plan, Courmayeur for 1 or maybe 2 days as we will be in LT for a week so - that combined with La Rosier should keep us busy, and I rather explore the mountain and towns and eateries in espace san bernardo fully while there. Plus need to get the kids from nursery every evening so the Chamonix leg is probably a bit too optimistic.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@garfmiller, If your kids are old enough to appreciate it, the pass includes a trip up the Skyway, we did it a couple of years ago, we skied in Courmayuer til 2pm them drove to the lift base, it’s a two stage lift, the cabins rotate 360 degrees as the go up/down giving fantastic views, there’s a snack bar and restaurant at mid station, we ate in the restaurant, foods ok but slow, so I’d take my own sandwich and just buy a coffee. At the top station there’s an open 360 viewing deck which is great. The last lift up is 4pm, If you get there ready to go at 3.30 that would give you plenty of time for the trip up and down.
We stayed in Courmayuer this year and bought the full pass, did 4 days in Courmayuer, 1 in Pila and 3 in La Thuile, and are planning to do the same next Feb, it’s good value and not much more than standard pass.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We did a package to La Thuile a few years ago, and managed one day each in Courmayeur and Pila using the bus - I am pretty sure it was on the standard La Thuile lift pass since I would have remembered buying an extension.

For a family with beginners, Pila (via bus to Aosta then cable car up) would be a great destination towards the end of the week, it has lots of skiable runs in a small pretty bowl and seems have a microclimate which protects it from the weather that can be disruptive towards the top of the La Thuile area. Not sure about Courmayeur, the weather turned bad that day and my memories are definitely not compatible with beginners.

Good luck with La Thuile, when our daughter was much smaller we went to La Rosiere which is where she first got her ski legs. She was incentivised by the promise of skiing from France to Italy by the end of the week - obviously the reverse for you.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@garfmiller, You'll get bored with the skiing in La Rosiere. +1 for the Skyway, even try the ski down from the mid station.
ski holidays
I stayed in La Thuile and took the bus to Courmayer for the day at about 8 am and managed the first lift up the mountain. It’s a cracking spot for the day too.
latest report
geoffknight wrote:
@garfmiller, If your kids are old enough to appreciate it, the pass includes a trip up the Skyway, we did it a couple of years ago, we skied in Courmayuer til 2pm them drove to the lift base, it’s a two stage lift, the cabins rotate 360 degrees as the go up/down giving fantastic views, there’s a snack bar and restaurant at mid station, we ate in the restaurant, foods ok but slow, so I’d take my own sandwich and just buy a coffee. At the top station there’s an open 360 viewing deck which is great. The last lift up is 4pm, If you get there ready to go at 3.30 that would give you plenty of time for the trip up and down.
We stayed in Courmayuer this year and bought the full pass, did 4 days in Courmayuer, 1 in Pila and 3 in La Thuile, and are planning to do the same next Feb, it’s good value and not much more than standard pass.

Thanks, the Skyway is definitely on the list.
ski holidays
@garfmiller, if you don't have a car then you can get the early bus to Courmayeur and ski all day, then at the end of the day ensure you are on the Val Veny side. You will need to download on the Gondola there then you can take a bus to the skyway - frustratingly it looks like you'll need to go to Entreves and change bus - which does surprise me. Despite having skiied Courmayeur four times, I've never actually done the skyway myself. Maybe next time.

http://www.savda.it/public/documenti/356.pdf

You could of course just download back to Courmayeur itself and get the bus from there - it looks like the bus from Dolonne goes direct to the skyway, and you can ski all the way down to Dolonne
latest report
nbt wrote:
@garfmiller, if you don't have a car then you can get the early bus to Courmayeur and ski all day, then at the end of the day ensure you are on the Val Veny side. You will need to download on the Gondola there then you can take a bus to the skyway - frustratingly it looks like you'll need to go to Entreves and change bus - which does surprise me. Despite having skiied Courmayeur four times, I've never actually done the skyway myself. Maybe next time.

http://www.savda.it/public/documenti/356.pdf

You could of course just download back to Courmayeur itself and get the bus from there - it looks like the bus from Dolonne goes direct to the skyway, and you can ski all the way down to Dolonne

Thanks for the tips. After contemplating all the feedback here, I am considering taking a non-ski and renting a car and doing the Skyway, Aosta and some other touristy stops (maybe through to Chamonix if possible). Will be there for 7 days and wife is not a "snowhead" so she may appreciate the the off mountain activities.
snow conditions
@garfmiller,

Welcome to snowHead . You can now join the rest of us obsessing over posts in Snow Reports and Resort Reviews (& looking at resort webcams). wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy