Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

March 7-14, flying in to Geneva, where to go from there?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have booked flights for my son (20 years old, high functioning Autism) and I from Toronto to Geneva arriving March 7th. We will likely rent a car to use as transfer. Our flight back home leaves GVA at 10:30 am so I am planning for a very early departure from our accommodation on the 14th. My son is also Gluten Free so I thought it would be a good idea to do a shop in a larger grocery store prior to arrival at the resort.

We want to book a self catered apartment (AirBNB or similar) in a large ski area that ideally allows for a different day of skiing on each of our 6 days. Due to our situation, I would prefer ski in and out although a short walk to the lift would be OK too. Terrain needs to be varied so that both he (happiest on blues and mellow reds but can ski groomed blacks in a pinch) and I (happiest on skis) can both enjoy.

Typical scenario would involve us skiing together but if he has had enough for the day, I can drop him off at the apartment and continue on my own. We will also split up when there are multiple descent options ending at the same point (he takes the groomer, I take the bumps etc). Apres does not need to be anything more than a pub but something more lively would also be fine. Restaurants that offer GF options are helpful, but he has gotten quite used to steak and fries as a staple when eating at a restaurant.

I have considered several options including Avoriaz, La Plagne/Les Arcs, Tignes, 3V. My preference so far is Avoriaz. I have skied the others over the last few years (although I only did one day at Paradiski) but I have not been to the PDS since the mid 80's. It is on my "list", close to GVA, huge area, multiple valleys, ski over the border and as a general rule I try not to repeat ski areas.

On the other hand, I am a worrier by nature and I feel that PDS is a riskier choice re snow conditions. I am not too concerned about the odd lower run in Morzine/Morgins/etc being a bit brown and squishy, I just don't want to be stuck somewhere with hordes of skiers fighting over limited terrain. I only get one week of skiing per year Sad and this is my son's first real ski trip so we need to make it count. I could mitigate the (perceived) risk by booking later, but as choice will be more limited, I assume my cost of accommodation is likely to rise as a result.

So....

1. How safe is Avoriaz during the second week of March? I have looked at historical weather and snowfall data but of course it varies year by year. I have not been able to find historical info showing percentage of runs open in any given week. I think this would be interesting and not just for Avoriaz.

2. If I wait to book Avoriaz (or elsewhere), any suggestions for timing?

3. Have I overlooked other locations that would suit our needs? Switzerland? Elsewhere in France?

4. Seeing as we plan to have a car, I could book a smaller resort as our home base for 2-3 days of skiing and do some short trips to neighbouring spots when weather allows? This seems like a lot of work......

5. I normally self cater, but if I could get a room at a reasonably slopeside half board hotel that would accommodate a GF diet.....cost may be an issue though. It also still leaves us with trying to sort out a GF lunch on the hill for six days (steak and fries on the hill for 6 days may be a problem).

6. Finally, (please excuse this rant) is Europe "anti-shower"? A non enclosed bath tub with a hose and a hand held spray head is a nightmare IMHO. When looking at accommodation online, bathroom pics are the first thing I consider. I actually find it shocking that so many rentals forgo a stand up shower of some sort while providing a completely unenclosed tub. This is a scenario that virtually guarantees a frustrating bathing experience and a soaked bathroom floor. Don't even get me started on bring your own linens and towels.......

I think that just about covers our situation. Hopefully my endless barrage of random thoughts are reasonably coherent and if I held your interest thus far, thank you for your patience! All advice and ideas are welcome and please ask if I have omitted a crucial nugget of info.

Cheers for now Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@xtr, ah unusually coherent set of request. It's late so I'll try and hit the obvious ones first.

GF food s now generally readily available. Some rather good but a little pricey.

I think Avoriaz suits very well. Morzine, f'rinstance also works but more difficult to drop your son off.

Mid March should not be an issue re snow, but who knows?

I'd leave accom booking as late as you feel comfortable, but I would also go S/C. Hotels don't always understand G/F.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Beware that your dates clash with the Geneva Motor Show. That'll probably affect traffic and possibly car hire prices. Someone else will be able to say how significant the effect could be, but leave plenty of time to return to the airport.

1. Very safe in early/mid March. You definitely shouldn't be fighting over limited terrain. I would hazard a guess that the risk of skiing being affected by poor snow in a low resort is equally (un)likely as your skiing being affected by stormy weather in a high resort. So I wouldn't worry about altitude.

2. For Airbnb, I would say you should be booking now for the widest choice and best prices.

3. At that time of year there are dozens of locations which would suit you well. Avoriaz as good as any though.

4. Certainly doable (we often do this), but depends whether you like driving.

5. No idea, sorry!

6. Europe isn't anti-shower but some apartments - particularly budget ones - do seem to have this annoying setup. We've used a few like this, though you get used to using them without getting the water everywhere. Usually on Airbnb you can see whether this is the case from photos though. Linen and towels - often not provided in budget apartments in France.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not much to add to the sound advice above. That's a good week to choose for France - first week after the end of the very busy French school holidays, so accommodation prices will be substantially lower. Most French resorts have self-catering accommodation right through the scale, from very basic to pretty luxurious. Depends on your budget. I don't know Avoriaz but generally I'd suggest you'll get what you pay for. Budget accommodation will be cheap (and with no towels and linen). Quick google suggests this kind of accommodation might suit your requirements but won't be the cheapest https://www.ernalow.co.uk/france/portes-du-soleil/avoriaz/pierre-and-vacances-premium-residence-lamara Though obviously you wouldn't book through Erna Low, a British company which generally features good quality accommodation.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@xtr, as @under a new name, suggests go s/c to be safe for gluten free, I am coeliac and my son is as well, because it is not that common in France, most restaurants really don't get cross contamination at all, with bread everywhere, so we just don't go out to eat anywhere or eat on the mountain at all and always take a picnic as the risk of getting ill is just too high after a few "incidents" in the past.

Most of the supermarkets will have a gluten free bit, but be aware it is often also mixed with all the organic stuff etc in the same shelf space / area. Carrefour seems to have a good range of items now, quite a few of their own brand and also the bigger super U's.

Pierre et vacances https://www.pierreetvacances.com/gb-en and cgh-residences (hateful company, nice apartments) https://www.cgh-residences.com/ do some smart apartments.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As @denfinella says, that week is Geneva Motor show.

I've no idea how that affects hire car prices BUT it definitely affects the road layouts. We've flown in on that date for the last two years and our (non-local) taxi drivers were confused/got lost on both occasions. If the hire car people speak good English - definitely get their advice on how to get to France!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the replies and advice.

Our GF situation is not Celiac related. Rather, it is a change that we made in our son's diet 15 years ago. The difference in 24 hours was stunning. Luckily, cross contamination does not seem to be an issue. He just avoids "normal" pasta, bread, pizza etc. Over here, most restaurants have several GF options and we have had no issues. I cringe to think what our lives could have been like had we not made the change; although the medical community told us we were crazy and that making changes to diet could not make a difference in behaviour. It must be all in our imagination rolling eyes

Would never have known about the auto show, nice to be forewarned. Will look at bus transfer also. Grain based food is allowed when arriving in Switzerland, so we can bring bread and pasta in our luggage from home.

Starting to get a better handle on what's available for accommodation. Just like so many other things in life, there seems to be a sweet spot for pricing that offers a nice bump up in "luxury" for a bit more more money than the base model, i.e., older, smaller studios.

Looking at a detailed village map, I notice public walkways, escalators and elevators in some of the buildings. These seem like they would be very handy for shopping etc but I have read that they are not always in service. Is this a chronic problem? If you are staying in the Crozats area, having an easy way down to (and back up from) the Festival area would be a big plus.

Only 105 days to go. Got to get this sorted ASAP! Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy