Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort advice pls - New Year / family

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads

Please could I get your thoughts on a good resort for a New Year family trip. We are 2 intermediate adults, 1 kid blue/red level and 1 green. Ideally:
- snow sure resort given time of year
- family friendly travel company (helpful with kids ski-faff in the morning, English speaking schools)

Tignes would be a great choice but we went there on our last holiday. Never been to Les Arcs or Les2Alpes. Would be up for going back to Austria (loved St Anton/Lech) but not sure they're quite as well set up for kids as the French? Not interested in apres-ski scene.

Also would love to know whether holding off for a late booking is a sensible idea. My missus is concerned that ski schools will get booked up at that time of year, whereas I'm thinking it might be better to see where the snow's fallen and hopefully grab a bargain!

Many thanks Very Happy
Harry
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Les Arc is great imho or families. As is La Plagne. The adults could take the advantage of skiing across to the other resort, whilst kids stay in one place. Tbh depends on ages of children not ability as to what they can cope with skiing and travel wise
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@hazza, Not sure if there will be much late availability. You are looking at possibly the busiest week of the year. In many years Les Arcs reports being at 100% capacity over that period. Though I'll be in Les Arcs for the first half of the week I would actually reccomend La Plagne.

There is still a lot of planning to do - choosing travel options, budget, accommodation options etc.

That reminds me I still have't made my tunnel bookings yet.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski schools WILL be very booked up. Given your requirements waiting for a late bargain is not a good idea.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Ski schools WILL be very booked up. Given your requirements waiting for a late bargain is not a good idea.
+1
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
In terms of St Anton with kids, we did a week with Esprit when the girls were 5 and 8. They had really good lessons there and the end of the week did a race for all the ski school kids with commentary etc. Girls loved it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ok thanks guys, will make sure we book ahead then.

Didn't know La Pagne was considered snow-sure, haven't been before so will get that on the short list.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NickyJ wrote:
In terms of St Anton with kids, we did a week with Esprit when the girls were 5 and 8. They had really good lessons there and the end of the week did a race for all the ski school kids with commentary etc. Girls loved it.

I actually did my first ever ski holiday in St Anton, loved the place but seem to remember there was a hideous run back into the village. Good to hear it worked for your girls, will check it out again.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hazza wrote:

Tignes would be a great choice but we went there on our last holiday. Never been to Les Arcs or Les2Alpes. Would be up for going back to Austria (loved St Anton/Lech) but not sure they're quite as well set up for kids as the French? Not interested in apres-ski scene.

Always found Austrian Ski schools including Lech just as good if not better for kids than French ones, though the individual instructor is obviously the over riding factor. I doubt you will get accommodation at places like Lech for NY now though they are regularly fully booked.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
T Bar wrote:
Always found Austrian Ski schools including Lech just as good if not better for kids than French ones, though the individual instructor is obviously the over riding factor. I doubt you will get accommodation at places like Lech for NY now though they are regularly fully booked.

Thanks, good to know.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@hazza,
- family friendly travel company (helpful with kids ski-faff in the morning, English speaking schools)

Ski Esprit (Belle Plagne and Arcs 2000)

Neilson chalets in Plan Peisey (Chalet Hermine etc)

Ice and Fire (in Les Coches)

The La Cachette hotel in Arcs 1600 used to be good with and for kids too. Haven't stayed there for 3 years, since when Belambra has taken it over.

Any specific questions let us know.

snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Ok thanks guys, will make sure we book ahead then.

Didn't know La Pagne was considered snow-sure, haven't been before so will get that on the short list.

I would say the ‘snow sure’ resorts are Tignes/VDI, Les arc, la Plagne, trois valleys and Alpes d’Huez.

There are a lot more that are pretty good but some are not so great of you stay down the valley at all.

With kids we used Ski esprit for convenient service and the kids had like minded kids to play with. Once mine were older we did Hotel Diva with Crystal, still had some access to childcare if the kids wanted it, but more ad hoc. Then self catering and now we leave them at home
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
La Rosiere has always had a reputation on here as having excellent children's ski schools, great intermediate skiing and a reputation for very reliable snow.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The La Cachette hotel in Arcs 1600 used to be good with and for kids too. Haven't stayed there for 3 years, since when Belambra has taken it over.

They have been revamping it over the summer. Though it is very much a French hotel, I occaisionally hear British guests in the vicinity.

My son was in the nursary there when he was 4 years old and had some good lessons. By the end of the week he was skiing down Sources with me. Having said that 1600 is not the place for people who can only ski green runs. The beginner runs are quite steep.

Quote:

Aime La Plagne and Plagne Belcotte are over 2000m. Plan centre is not much lower. This is higher than Val d'Isere and Courcheval and higher than most of the Les Arcs villages (Arc2000 is over 2100m) Indeed it is about the same altitude as Tignes (Le Lac is 2090 and Val Claret 2110). The Bellcotte is over 3000. It is about as snow sure as it gets.
La Plagne is just not fashionable.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@T Bar, Second that, a good choice of ski schools and always in the top five French resorts for snow cover, also one of the most reasonably priced ski passes for a resort with 160 kms of pistes (espace san bernardo).
ski holidays
It would be helpful to know what the OP is doing this week. I'm with family in Belle Plagne having booked late with Esprit.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy