Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid January Day Trip from Munich Options

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Considering going with a group of 3 others, who are all beginners (I consider myself an intermediate), skiing in the Alps. It has to be a day trip and must rely on public transportation. We'll be going around January 16th, so snow shouldn't be a problem.

Been thinking about Saalbach since I've been before (once, last year), but Kitz, Soell, and Garmisch are all very close as well. Should I consider taking them to a smaller German resort instead?

Any suggestions?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saalbach is a bit far for a day trip using the train, also the stations themselves are not ideally placed you would have to get a bus to the lift stations. If you are keen on going to Austria then either Hopfgarten (part of Skiwelt, use the Berglift station) or Kitzbühel (there is a station at the Hahnenkammbahn) would be best. The station at St Johann in Tirol is not far from the lift station either. However the journey is a little bit involved, the trains up the Brixental towards Salzburg depart from Wörgl, there are some direct trains from Munich but only one every two hours (the EC trains to Innsbruck and northern Italy) otherwise a regional train to Kufstein and change there to another regional train to Wörgl. It is going to take at least 1.5 hours each way.

If snow conditions are good (not always the case) there are some smaller resorts in the Bavarian alps easily accessible by train, Lenggreis, Spitzingsee and Bayerischzell. You can buy combined train / ski tickets see https://www.meridian-bob-brb.de/de/bayerische-oberlandbahn/tickets-bob/kombitickets . Similarly with Garmisch you can buy combi train tickets, never done this so no idea how easy it is or how long the journey is.

If you are keen on train trips then another possibility is the Zillertal, as above the direct trains to Jenbach only run every two hours but there is then a narrow gauge train in the Zillertal which I believe connects with the EC trains. Kaltenbach, for example, would be possible using this route.

When I first moved to Munich I did try using the train for day trips but it doesnt really work that well (partly as I dont live in the city itself) so stick with car if only a day. Another option would be to look into the various daily coach trips that are run to the resorts (there might even be one to Fieberbrunn for Saalbach). They usually leave around 07:00 from the centre of town to arrive is somewhere like Scheffau around 08:30 and get back around 18:00. The main Munich tourist office would be able to provide details.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@munich_irish, Leogang?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@tatmanstours, have only done that by car, it is a long train trip for a day and as far as I am aware the station in Leogang is a fair way from the lifts? Coach is more practical assuming there is one.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy