Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon S/Max - Digging in, will moulding fix?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Im after buying my first pair of ski boots, having rented previously. I’ve struggled for sizing when renting as I’m 6ft5 with long slim calves. Most the boots I tried previously couldn’t go very tight on the top buckle at all.

Having tried reading up what boots would be good for slimmer calves, I thought I’d go and try the s/max and the s/pro.
They had the S/Pro 100s in stock, which went on nicely, were comfortable with little movement, but the top buckle even with the buckle moved could be closed all the way with 1 finger.

The S/Max’s on the other hand were a bit of a bug to get on, but once on and fully buckled in seemed to fit nicely everywhere apart from the top of the ankle/bottom of shin, where it was digging in and a bit uncomfortable
Would this be helped by moulding them, or are they just too small volume wise?

Unfortunately I can’t afford a fully fitted boot experience, but I reckon buying something off the shelf will be better than renting!

It could be that I’m in between the s/max and the s/pro. If so, what other brands would be suitable for Mr skinny calves here?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Alexkingsley, find a way to afford to get boot from a reputable fitter otherwise you'll end up putting good money after bad. Choosing the correct shell is paramount (length, forefoot width, heel width, volume etc) and then things like adding padding added to the tongue &/or butterfly padding to the liner will solve your skinny legs problem. Here's pic of CEM (of Solutions4Feet) part way through a tongue padding job - the tongue has been unstitched and the padding added and it's waiting to be restitched: https://www.instagram.com/p/B8jfzILlln6/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi @Alexkingsley,
Welcome to the forum, I too have a problem with my boots fitting due to too many motor bike accidents in the 1960's

I also agree with @spyderjon in saying that CEM is probably one of the best boot fitter around, especially in the UK, but he even took a deep intake of breath when he saw my feet Embarassed
He actually suggested I get some custom boots made at Blade Boots at Abingdon, but I'll have to save up quite a bit before I can hobble along there.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PS I use Salomon X pro 120 boots and they get me through the day.
I do buckle them up, but its only the 3rd one up or 2nd one down which is important to fit tight, all the others just keep it neat.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whilst getting boots fitted would be great, I’m not sure I can justify it. I’ll only be skiing for 5 days this year, and probably the same most years. Off the back of an expensive family trip to Australia, I shouldn’t even be going skiing this year, I think I might be crucified by the other half if I spend too much on boots. Does that mean I should just rent until I can get custom fitted?

£300 for off the shelf boots vs I’m guessing £500+ for custom fitted boots (sorry if I’m wrong, but from what I could tell looking around it’s generally about £200 to get the fitting done properly plus at last £300 for the boots, probably more.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Alexkingsley, wrong, sorry. No idea about @CEM coz I’ve never been there, but any boot fitter I’ve seen has included the fitting cost in the price of the boot, plus free mods afterwards if you’ve got sore spots etc. Custom foot beds cost extra (£70 ish) but you may not need those, depending on your feet.

If you can’t get your boots fitted properly by someone who will help you choose the boot in the first place, there is little point in buying at all as you will almost certainly be back for another pair in the near future. Stick with renting, at least it’s cheap.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think @Scarlet has the right idea here, just rent them.
You can go back and whinge at the hire shop every day and get another pair.
It also saves the weight of carrying them out.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks. Will have a look around at some ski shops.
Just looked around and pro feet in Fulham seem to be near £200 for fitting, but other places look to be included in cost of the boot.
I might give Captains cabin in Sevenoaks a go.
The boots I tried today were in snow and rock. The guy working there seemed to think the s maxs worked well for me and that the pressure would go away with moulding, but taking it with a pinch of salt from snow and rock!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

They had the S/Pro 100s in stock, which went on nicely, were comfortable with little movement,

It's very likely the boots you tried on are too big for you and will feel loose after a little use once the inner packs down a bit. It's almost a rite of passage for every skier's first boots unless you use a good boot fitter.

Were you measured for the boot and did you do a shell check to see how much space there was between your foot and the boot?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alexkingsley wrote:
Whilst getting boots fitted would be great, I’m not sure I can justify it. I’ll only be skiing for 5 days this year, and probably the same most years. Off the back of an expensive family trip to Australia, I shouldn’t even be going skiing this year, I think I might be crucified by the other half if I spend too much on boots. Does that mean I should just rent until I can get custom fitted?

£300 for off the shelf boots vs I’m guessing £500+ for custom fitted boots (sorry if I’m wrong, but from what I could tell looking around it’s generally about £200 to get the fitting done properly plus at last £300 for the boots, probably more.

Yes - you should just rent again... buying your own boots without using a decent bootfitter is a false economy - especially when you have already found/are aware that your feet and legs are a bit of a problem.

Don't buy them off the shelf/internet. Just don't.

Rent boots for another year or..
You could skip the ski trip this year and use that money to go get properly fitted, and spend some time in a fridge etc to sort out any niggles before next years ski trip.

Spending the money now (or next year) for good boots and liner (maybe zipfit) is worth it and will save you money in the long run and allow you to get your money's worth when skiing too. Pay up for the Zi[fit liners now and they'll outlast your boot shells and can be reused when you eventually get replacement boots on 5/6/7/8 or more years and give you undreamt of hold and (relative) comfort in use.

This advice is due to my own stupidity/experience doing what you're thinking of doing...
1st pair boots : ooh, cheap, on sale, they're comfy... course they were - they were too effin' big (nice red Atomic rear entry boots... yup, many years ago)
2nd pair: ok, this time i'll ask.. Woody in Val D'Isere recommends a fiiter, get some Salomons etc. *sigh*
3rd pair: why a 3rd pair, because the 2nd weren't great either... so surely a 'proper' custom boot from Surefoot... I mean they use that 'professional' foam line and everything, right? Must be the job. Nope - utter cr@p.
False economy doesn't even begin to describe it... if only i'd known about proper (orthotic0 footbeds and Zipfits liners years and years ago.
rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Alexkingsley,
My experience is similar.
1st pair of boots "fitted" by Snow & Rock lasted about 8 years before they needed to be replaced about 50-60 days skiing. Nice and comfy but best of all not hire boots still damp from other peoples sweaty feet.
2nd pair of boots also "fitted" by Snow & Rock lasted 7 years before they needed to be replaced about 80 days skiing. Nice and comfy, but it turns out way too big.
3rd pair of boots fitted by CEM. These were a revelation all of a sudden I was connected to my skis. My skis started pointing the way my feet were, I could feel exactly what my skis were doing transmitted directly through the boots to my feet I could very easily feel where my weight was and therefore place weight where I wanted it and have the skis react. Currently they have done 144 days with the original liners with new liners fitted this summer and 21 days so far this winter with new Zipfit liners so should be good for quite a while yet.

My first 2 pairs I doubt if I broke even on cost against hiring. My third pair have helped me ski better and saved money, double win. Very Happy

As @coops1967, says, if your not going to get them properly fitted then it's just as well to rent for another year. You could be lucky going to one of the major retailers but you would need to arm yourself with all the advice that's available in this forum to give yourself the best chance of a good fit.

The extra £200 (if that's what it is these days) will be the best £200 you spend on skiing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Alexkingsley, I spent years mucking about with adjustments to off the shelf boots and they never worked. Even when it seemed ok initially the adjustments just didn't last and I think the certainty that the liners will pack down makes it unwise for you to try.

So another vote for me for renting for now and thus being able to go back to the shop constantly until its as good as they can give you.

Save your money toward getting a custom boot, they also last much longer so the cost evens out in time. Mine are 10 years old now and have had various components replaced including a new set of liners last year. Still the closest thing to carpet slippers for skiing in.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cool, thanks for the advice all!
Spoke to captains cabin in Sevenoaks today.

Mentioned I had a budget of around £300 and asked whether it’s even worth coming in as I didn’t want to waste their time. They said they have a few options but obviously it depends on my fit.
They said it’s no problem coming in, and if after 45 mins or so they didn’t think there was anything suitable in my budget then that’s no a problem!

Think I’ll give that a go!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Alexkingsley, I am going to sound like a broken record and echo what has been said above. Save your money until you can afford to do it properly, let a good boot fitter find the boot that fits you and put a custom footbed in the bottom of it. within reason you shouldn't have a budget when buying ski boots.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy