Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stellar Equipment Shell Jacket - First thoughts

Poster: A snowHead
@BobinCH, hmmm. Just being very, very much cheaper is not an excuse for thoughtless design.

For me, fit, was key, then pockets and collar. I’m short, with relatively less spine vs thigh bones, reasonably broad thru shoulders but otherwise slim, with short arms.

So typically for Scandi fits I either can’t breath or the jacket’s down to my knees. (Exaggerates for effect...).

Bizarrely the shell fits. And if I get 50% durability for 50% price, that’s Ok.

Back on pants looks you were never the design client. Braces weird though. I often think not so much thought goes into the trouser end of things.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Markymark29 wrote:
@mgrolf, take a read of this link and reviews and the feedback and then decide for yourself if a company that’s being going since 1929 with such an excellent service culture, sustainability record and product development is producing a better quality than one which is new on the block and claims to have “the best fabric on the market”, it’s half the price, has little track record I assume, never heard of it....I’ve been wearing Norrona for 10 years, never had any issues fell in my new Lofoten Pro Jacket last season, brand new jacket, ripped it on ski edge totally my fault, told them so and they had it sent back for repair, said they couldn’t make a perfect job so replaced it for me FOC, 699€ * jacket, I would have been happy paying for a patch repair......That’s quality imo, it’ll last me 5/6 years minimum.

https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/products/lofoten/lofoten-gore-tex-pro-ski-jacket-men/

* PS I didn’t pay that, nor would I.

The Stellar jackets look ok btw....

Just an observation - not about either brand - but I wouldn't necessarily rule out new entrants in this area.

Showing my age a bit but North Face were pretty unknown in Europe before they launched the original (Lhotse) Mountain Jacket in the late 80s. It totally redefined the market for mountaineering shells. It was THE standard that everyone else had to compete with and was widely copied.
Arcteryx did the same thing in, what, the late 90s. Come from nowhere with just better, deceptively minimalist designs and excellent quality. Most high quality shells today owe a lot to the arcteryx designs of 20 years ago.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Disappointed to hear this. Always been a Hoglofs fan but feel their products have gone off the boil recently. Norrona ok but not my personal choice. What else would any snowhead recommend, looking for ski pants and a down undergarment?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@richardarthur, For pants if you can find Marmot Spires, we're on our 7th (?) season and they still look almost like brand new. Very few cuts, etc.

A "down" undergarment? For why?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
richardarthur wrote:
............What else would any snowhead recommend, looking for ski pants and a down undergarment?......

Quite simple, Outdoor Research.

Great quality, attention to detail and Powder Magazine's first-ever apparel of the year winner.

I've now clocked up 9 sorties in SnowVember using their Hemisphere Jacket and bib pants, the stretch Goretex strech tech is great under the crutch and helps kick-turns no end.

I was really hoping for some shite weather today on my 850m excursion to give it a real test, but the weather cleared.

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/mens-hemispheres-jacket-268073
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Weathercam, I don't like the colours...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In addition to the above... Arcteryx, North Face, Mammut, Elevenate, Peak Performance, Patagonia all make good quality gear

Hard to beat Norrona Lofoten GTX Pro pants though...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BobinCH, I think if I was doing som eserious touring, I'd want some very tour specific pants though.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
@BobinCH, I think if I was doing som eserious touring, I'd want some very tour specific pants though.

This is to be avoided at all costs!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Burton ak. The pants are great that I Have used. I like OR gear too but AK pants are much better imo
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
@BobinCH, I think if I was doing some serious touring, I'd want some very tour specific pants though.

Sounds like a new thread to me Laughing

Over the years I've amassed more ski touring pants than touring skis I think Laughing

Though why is it, even with the latest touring pants it's still a PITA to get them over your boots rolling eyes

I should also give a shout out for the Scott GTX gear, too heavy a shell jacket for touring but was using it at Val Thorens all last weekend, and on Saturday when only a couple of lifts were open, so you can imagine what the wind speeds and conditions were like.

My jacket, in fact, that really is (literally) my jacket now Laughing

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weathercam wrote:
under a new name wrote:
@BobinCH, I think if I was doing some serious touring, I'd want some very tour specific pants though.

Sounds like a new thread to me Laughing

Over the years I've amassed more ski touring pants than touring skis I think Laughing

Though why is it, even with the latest touring pants it's still a PITA to get them over your boots rolling eyes

I should also give a shout out for the Scott GTX gear, too heavy a shell jacket for touring but was using it at Val Thorens all last weekend, and on Saturday when only a couple of lifts were open, so you can imagine what the wind speeds and conditions were like.

My jacket, in fact, that really is (literally) my jacket now Laughing

You must have missed these from your collection then

https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/tour-pant

they have decent adjustment at the cuff

Very reasonable at 140 quid full price too
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jedster wrote:
...........You must have missed these from your collection then

https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/tour-pant

they have decent adjustment at the cuff

Very reasonable at 140 quid full price too.........

No disagree with you on that, they are still a bit of PITA to get around your boot Laughing

And I think I picked them up on FleaBay for around £50

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

No disagree with you on that, they are still a bit of PITA to get around your boot

Very Happy

guess 3 buckle cabrios tend to be slimmer through the calf...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@richardarthur, Some keenly priced and smart looking Marmot gear on Sportspursuit. Ski pants at £149 less than half price https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1506715?click=eyJxdWVyeSI6Ik1hcm1vdCBmcmVlcmlkZXIiLCJwYWdlIjoxLCJwYWdlU2l6ZSI6NDIsInBvcyI6MTB9
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
Alas I bought a Stellar Shell / Pants but the fit doesn’t work for me at all so will have to send it back. The medium jacket is pretty baggy and boxier than the fitted Norrona shape. Quality of Workmanship / materials also not at same level eg the braces for the pants are awful!

I initially bought the Shell range but swapped them for Guide. The difference is marked and the Guide kit feels much more durable. Both ranges fitted me but the Guide pants are a perfect fit.

I have to be honest, I simply have not considered whether I like the braces or not. They are braces, they go under my mid layer and that's where my involvement of them finishes.

At the weekend we were in a ski shop in Val d'Isere. A friend looked at the Lofotek trousers... €700??? That's crazy money and not twice as good or even a lot better... even if that were possible.

Second season (they've done 46 days) and I'm very happy with my Stellar kit.
latest report
Quote:

Lofotek trousers... €700???

@bar shaker, You mean Lofoten Pro?......I pay much less than 1/2 that for mine and never first week of the season in one of the most expensive places in the world for ski kit!
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
@richardarthur, Some keenly priced and smart looking Marmot gear on Sportspursuit. Ski pants at £149 less than half price https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1506715?click=eyJxdWVyeSI6Ik1hcm1vdCBmcmVlcmlkZXIiLCJwYWdlIjoxLCJwYWdlU2l6ZSI6NDIsInBvcyI6MTB9

My Marmot shell is now a good five years old and doubles as my day to day outdoor jacket (used a lot here in Ireland!!). Holding up really well apart from the cuffs where the material is showing signs of wear (literal mechanical abrasion). If the pants are as good, recommended.
ski holidays
bar shaker wrote:

At the weekend we were in a ski shop in Val d'Isere. A friend looked at the Lofotek trousers... €700??? That's crazy money and not twice as good or even a lot better... even if that were possible.

Second season (they've done 46 days) and I'm very happy with my Stellar kit.

Sounds like the Guide kit is a significant step up but IMO Norrona Lofoten Pro is definitely twice as good as the Shell pants. And as above, most people get them with some level of discount and the Pants last hundreds of days with minimal degradation
snow conditions
@jedster, @Weathercam, the touring pants tight at the cuff thing needs a separate thread. I have the same issue with my Bergans touring pants.
snow conditions
(P.S. not in any way associated with the company)...

So far two little days. A few pistes with the niblings who were coldy and unenthusiastic and a shortish but enthusiastic skin this morning. Weather kind and sunny both days alhough neither super cold.

I like what I see. Pockets where I want them. Fit where I want it. A nice high collar.

Will know more next week.

Actually, why don't I hold off my until I have something meaningful to relate? Twisted Evil
latest report
Father Christmas came early!
ski holidays
Nice! I'd have black marks all over the yellow pants after my first couple of outings but I'm a disaster like that.
snow report
They look really tight in the crotch area so will be useless for touring wink
latest report
Weathercam wrote:

Give you a chance to keep up NehNeh
snow report
Weathercam wrote:

They’re not!
latest report
@BobinCH excellent choice and colours. I just bought exactly the same Laughing
ski holidays
@BobinCH, looks very smart. Quite recognisable though, not so great for those cat burglar like jewel heists.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, how are you finding it after a few uses?

Being a bit of a gear magpie, I'd been following this and having accidentally found their website with some very well placed advertising on social media, it all became a bit much and I've ended up buying the Guide shell and pants. I've had a bit of a fiddle and thought I'd post my thoughts...not least given the number of comparisons to Norrona...and I've been using Norrona kit exclusively for the past 7 years or so. This will hurt some people (not least me) but I think the quality of their kit has dropped in the past few years: my current kit is the Lofoten active shell and pants. Within a few weeks of use, both velcro cuff closures were unravelling themselves and both boot cuffs disintegrated. 2 seasons in and I have a sieve not a jacket. The fabric's light but also not durable (for me) and wears on the shoulders/waist through constant use with reasonably well-loaded backpacks. Anyway, the point being I was after something more durable that doesn't cost £950.

Shell: Let's get this out of the way first - the Norrona is, in general, a better fit. I'm 186cm, 73 kg (much like a pencil). Both jackets in medium and the Guide is slightly wider through the body, similar length but the arms are 15mm shorter or so. The Norrona has a Y-shaped cut so with your hands raised above your head, it doesn't bind as much as the Guide (which has pre-bent arms and cut short under the arm pits). Half an hour flouncing about and I'm used to it and it's certainly not bad - it's just the Norrona is very good (for me). The quality is at least equal to the Norrona; very fine stitching, similar width taping, no weird loose ends. The fabric is much heavier - it's similar in density to the 'proper' Lofoten pro shell pants (yes, I've owned a pair of those, too. They were brilliant). This is where I'm it has the edge over the Norrona (which I'll attempt to warranty and then flog to another magpie). I'm almost sold*

* They include pre-paid postage so returning them is very easy; much like a lot of direct sell products.

Pants: If the shell has me slightly on the fence, the pants I'm completely sold on. It's basically a slightly slimmer, marginally longer version of the Lofoten pro-shell pant with some little extra features that show a lot of thought to the end user. These include two extra pockets, a loop to clip a transceiver to in one of the cargo pockets and poppers on the legs to keep them from flapping like sails when you're in full spring touring stomp sun's-out-guns-out mode. I have a lot of hope for these.

Assuming I don't throw my poo-poo and decide to return them, I'll be using next weekend so will report on breathability (it seems I won't be testing their resistance to precipitation for a little while...). Apologies for the ramble; NYE put me off going to the pub so internet it is.
snow report
...ah I neglected to mention the 'free' base layers they throw in at the moment. I didn't hold out much hope (why would you if they throw top and bottom in? Plus they're synthetic) and my plan is to flog them for a few quid. However, the top is very well sized/fitted and presuming their claims of odour free use are true, worth having. The pants are full length so straight to eBay for me.
latest report
Just spent a week skiing with some Stellar ski pants and I can't fault them. I've read all the posts above about fit and preferences and it comes down to personal preference. If you follow their guide on the website you can't really go wrong size wise, if the zip position is not quite what you are used to, get over it, change is a good thing! Was a Halgofs fan but Stellar is definitely right up there. I say well done to them competing against the big boys.
ski holidays
@baronofthecourt, I’m on day 18 and still very happy. Mind you, I haven’t had any weather to deal with!
snow report
Have any of you managed to put many days into your Stellar gear to give a longer term review, or did that thing that I won't mention scupper your skiing since last Jan?
snow report
3 months of action last year and the kit is still going strong. Can’t fault it to be honest.
snow report
@Tom Doc, so last year I'm guessing I only put in maybe 25 days or so. This year maybe 9 or 10?

Mostly been rando this year so using lighter kit.

But I am still very pleased. Next year we may see the longer term Happy
snow report
Thanks guys. I might just take the plunge.
snow conditions
I'm thinking of getting some Stellar kit - the new Stellar Shell 2.0 looks good and I might get a Primaloft Hood 2.0 also.

Reviews from friends who have had it for a few years is hugely positive.
ski holidays
I just can't got excited about their jackets. If I'm going to spend that kind of money I'd rather just pay a tiny bit more for Norrona or arcteryx which are better jackets. Although, I'm more than happy in my decathlon 3 layer jacket which is 15000mm waterproof (plenty enough unless you plan to be rolling about in the snow and has actually held up better than my goretex jacket) weighs 200g less than the guide 2.0 jacket and only costs £70. (I'm not saying it's better than an acteryx/Norrona but for £70 it's more than enouh jacket for 99% of skiers, who don't need the expensive jacket - of course if money is no issue go for it).
latest report
@boarder2020, when I bought mine it was €350 and I'd have needed to go North of €700 for e.g. the same pockets at Arc or Norrona. I also didn't like the colours (and Norrona doesn't fit me anyway).

So far I'm quite happy.

Decathlon (esp. Simond) is often very good.
latest report
@boarder2020, when I bought mine it was €350 and I'd have needed to go North of €700 for e.g. the same pockets at Arc or Norrona. I also didn't like the colours (and Norrona doesn't fit me anyway).

So far I'm quite happy.

Decathlon (esp. Simond) is often very good.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy