Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring for wallies

Poster: A snowHead
Sharkymark wrote:

Very Happy

Nice looking skis. Hope you can get on them soon snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sharkymark wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Sharkymark wrote:
@BobinCH, I tend to throw them in more often that not: if you need couteau, nothing else will do...

I had to bootpack and kick steps to get out of the forest Skullie

Type 2 fun! Laughing

The main thing going through my head was if I do a knee here it will be even more embarrassing than the one dancing at a Scottish Ceilidh… Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks yes, so do I. I'm planning (and it's looking relatively likely but who knows) to spend a few days skiing various places in the Valais with Tim followed by a week round your way with a guide in early Jan.

My worst injuries skiing were on flat bits when I wasn't thinking; I feel your pain.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Family ski touring snowHead

Straight up the wall

Celebrating

Could be the last one as the 11yo now has the same show size as the missus and has already made a claim on the boots!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
The main thing going through my head was if I do a knee here it will be even more embarrassing than the one dancing at a Scottish Ceilidh…
No need for ceilidh exercise when you can ski tour at (closed) Cairngorm Mountain Very Happy Snow cover very thin and marginal in places, with conditions very mixed, but two great days out in fantastic weather on Mon and Tues of this week.

As ever, just fantastic to be out in the mountains on skis in these challenging times for travelling abroad.

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@mountainaddict, very nice! I will ski there one day…

Scottish conditions in Verbier the last couple of days. Good for testing out the weather proofing of the touring gear

http://youtube.com/v/QSdbQKEEir8
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did only my 3rd tour a few days ago from the Pre La Joux carpark to the Col de Bessachaux following a well maintained green cat-track which happens to be my local cycling climb in summer. It took me 1:37h while I can do the same section on the bike at around same mid-range heart rate in 30 mins. I am still learning and definitely not as efficient as I should be. I have since read that I should be dry waxing skins which I did before a subsequent tour and could immediately feel the benefit.

Couple of Wally questions:
- My toes start hurting after about an hour with no rest, is that common? (I have no issues Downhill skiing in same boots)
- What is the most efficient way of using the heel risers, it it better to have less and use the steeper riser sparsely?
- At what height should i set my poles? I use 120cms for downhill skiing.

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dry waxing - this applies to all type of skins?

Off to a small IT resort just after the NY and will try shifts and the new boots that were sitting idle since last year. Never tried touring equipment before Skullie small area, small crowds, so hopefully not many people to lough at my first attempt
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ozboy wrote:

- My toes start hurting after about an hour with no rest, is that common? (I have no issues Downhill skiing in same boots)
- What is the most efficient way of using the heel risers, it it better to have less and use the steeper riser sparsely?

Re toes/boots, I often climb in mine very loose, almost like carpet slippers, I always have them far looser across the foot than when skiing.

I tend to use the heel risers far less than others, especially with the Xenics which only have one setting, though this year I'm more conscious of my Achilles Tendonitis and the strain that may be climbing without using risers puts on it.

And I know it's obvious, but I still see people skinning a traverse with their risers up, and that just makes it difficult especially when icy.

And your last question re poles, if you have foam grips below the handles, then I use my poles at nigh on maximum 145 extension, again depends on the technical difficulty of the climb, but if it's easy then I just grab the pole where it's comfortable.

What I do see is people with too short a pole and then they're more hunched over not straight and utilising their core in order to produce a nice gliding step.

But without sounding patronising good questions to raise and issues identified after your tour.##

Judging by your av HR you were not taking it nice and easy Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Ozboy,
I’ll try and answer.
1) I’ve never had toe problems going up. How loose are your boots in the climb? I tend to tighten mine so that there’s no heel lift (to avoid blisters) and that is enough to keep my toes from the end of my boot. Maybe yours are too loose?

2) Heel risers are personal taste and depends on the binding. I used to go as flat as possible for as long as possible. I now have Marker Alpinist that have an easy halfway setting that I now use for everything. When you are using ski crampons, as flat as possible is better.

3) Again personal preference. Many people go longer for the ascent, normally by about 5cm. I used to, but now can’t be bothered with the faff.

On a general note. It seems a lot of people over complicate things, particularly on this forum!! Ramp angles, delta, boot straps, complicated bindings etc etc etc. If you get into touring, you’ll find yourself in the middle of nowhere more and more often. IMO the most important thing is to have simple and reliable equipment that just works and some handy kit in your rucksack if it doesn’t, or if conditions aren’t as expected.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ozboy wrote:

While also definitely a wally.------

Toes - suck it up buttercup
Heel risers - when you need to but really only when its steep enough to warrant, so yeah sparsely should be the right answer.
Poles - I use 125cms for touring, 120cms for downhill, but also when steep you'll likely end up holding the poles way lower down anyway, hence the tendency for touring poles to have grip much further down.

Ski touring v cycling - i think starting out if you are anywhere from 350-400 VAM, you are doing ok ski touring wise, which you are not far off doing.. That climb is about 500m of up, assuming you stopped a few times to smell the roses, you are pootling along at a perfectly ok pace. If you can do that on a bike in 30 mins you need to think about the world tour though...anything over 1000 vam is giving it serious beans.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Crossed with @Weathercam,

There you go. Two regular ski tourers, both with generally different opinions Very Happy Very Happy

Whatever works best for you.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
.pdouble post

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 30-12-21 18:08; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mountainaddict, nice!! did you go over the back of Cairngorm at all or stick to the frontside? Seem some decent pics on the British backcountry page in the past week over the back....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
zzz wrote:
Crossed with @Weathercam,

There you go. Two regular ski tourers, both with generally different opinions Very Happy Very Happy

Whatever works best for you.

Laughing Laughing

Though if I'm going for it, I will have tighter boots and use risers more, it really does depend on the gradient, technicality and who I'm with/pace etc

Mind you the way this season is going rolling eyes

Just walked the dogs and even the cross country piste after yesterday's deluge is closed.

Think I'll be back on the indoor trainer at this rate!
ski holidays
@zzz, @Weathercam, thanks re boots i have them quite loose with toe buckle in “open” position. My boots are hybrid Tecnica Cochise and were custom fitted for downhill skiing. Might take them
back to see he they can expand the toe box.

@coddlesangers, I did a subsequent tour to Le Monclan and managed c. 420 VAM for 1:38h (inc fast drink stop) but the first 20 mins or so was slow going through south facing untracked mashed potato going up from back garden. Cycling is nowhere near pro level Embarassed - i have attached the comparative cycling ride for the Col de Bessachaux route posted earlier with VAM at 800.

Le Morclan Climb

Col de Bessachaux (bike)

ski holidays
Ozboy wrote:

1) it was warm, maybe they were swelling in the heat? I tighten inner boots with laces to avoid rubbing but leave shells as open as possible for maximum range of motion

2) the less the better as more range of motion so longer stride. Use the risers on steep slopes to preserve energy where necessary

3) at least 130. Ideally poles with long grips so you can adjust according to the slope
ski holidays
@BobinCH, yup I touring have poles with the foam beneath the main grips. Okay you have clarified the impact of risers on stride - thanks.
snow report
Get long poles, foam grips and hold wherever is comfortable: Les batons d’Alain - do the job (with little tabs to flick your risers)
ski holidays
Grinning wrote:
Get long poles, foam grips and hold wherever is comfortable: Les batons d’Alain - do the job (with little tabs to flick your risers)

I concur - in 135mm (my correct pole length is 125mm)

snow report
@BobinCH, here's the latest toy for your cupboard Laughing

THE ULTIMATE TOOL FOR BACKCOUNTRY RIDING. Our redesigned Scepter backcountry poles are made for high-performance touring and snow safety. The Scraper Grip provides easy snow/ice scraping from top sheets and climbing skins on the fly. Releasable straps separate you from your poles if you snag a tree, or worse, get caught in a slide. Utility hooks on the grip and pole basket enable flipping your heel risers and boot levers without bending over. EVA foam wrap allows you to choke up on steep traverses without losing your grip.

https://backcountryaccess.com/en-fr/c/tools-accessories/scepter-poles/

And they're not expensive, I bought them for the snow scraping as I often suffer from that when breaking trail, and they were one of the OH's Xmas pressies, for her that is.

And like all BCA products, they're very well made, can even withstand me driving over them, though now have one bent pole Laughing

I don't use the straps when skiing, but as I've said on here before, on gnarly icy traverses with long drops below, where I've seen people loose poles, that's when I use the straps!

snow report
Weathercam wrote:

THE ULTIMATE TOOL FOR BACKCOUNTRY RIDING. Our redesigned Scepter backcountry poles are made for high-performance touring and snow safety. The Scraper Grip provides easy snow/ice scraping from top sheets and climbing skins on the fly. Releasable straps separate you from your poles if you snag a tree, or worse, get caught in a slide. Utility hooks on the grip and pole basket enable flipping your heel risers and boot levers without bending over. EVA foam wrap allows you to choke up on steep traverses without losing your grip.

And they're not expensive, I bought them for the snow scraping as I often suffer from that when breaking trail, and they were one of the OH's Xmas pressies, for her that is.

And like all BCA products, they're very well made, can even withstand me driving over them, though now have one bent pole Laughing

I don't use the straps when skiing, but as I've said on here before, on gnarly icy traverses with long drops below, where I've seen people loose poles, that's when I use the straps!

Thanks - looks interesting. Very happy with my batons d’alain so no space for more poles at the mo. Also have some whippets for when it gets a bit sketchy to avoid needing to carry an axe
ski holidays
Anyone tried the Scarpa F1 LT’s and can compare with the old Alien RS?
latest report
Weathercam wrote:

£80 for aluminium poles is not expensive?! Will stick to my £15 straight from China Amazon ones snowHead
ski holidays
boarder2020 wrote:
....£80 for aluminium poles is not expensive?! Will stick to my £15 straight from China Amazon ones snowHead

I'm not surprised we all know that you don't actually do that much Laughing
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:
....£80 for aluminium poles is not expensive?! Will stick to my £15 straight from China Amazon ones snowHead

I'm not surprised we all know that you don't actually do that much Laughing

I actually have a pair of black diamond expedition 3 poles, but they are old and don't really work too well anymore. Plus I prefer z-folding style as bit more convenient for split boarding. Was guiding (hiking, not skiing) and ended up carrying a client's poles and quite liked them, asked him about them and sad they were just cheap ones of Amazon and gave me the link. At £15 if they get lost or broken it's really no big issue, plus for me that £65 saved is like 10 days food and accommodation for Nepal this year (assuming I can finally get back there). The joys of being a broke skibum/backpacker.
latest report
boarder2020 wrote:
........Was guiding (hiking, not skiing) and ended up carrying a client's poles and quite liked them....

Oh you're a Guide as well as a top sports nutritionist scientist physiologist consultant Shocked
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:
........Was guiding (hiking, not skiing) and ended up carrying a client's poles and quite liked them....

Oh you're a Guide as well as a top sports nutritionist scientist physiologist consultant Shocked

Former scientist, as I have said in other threads I left academia quite a few years year ago to be a ski bum. Don't claim to be a consultant, do have a PhD and have worked in the area so probably know more than most. In the summers I do a little hiking guiding for a lodge in exchange for free food and accommodation. Far from a proper mountain guide, just 1-4 day hikes on easy terrain up to 4000m, but what else can I call it?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Caught this guy out of the corner of my eye this morning, and could not quite believe it, there he was skinning along the flat cross country piste as it then ran through the kids Jardin de Neige using his heel risers Laughing

ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
Caught this guy out of the corner of my eye this morning, and could not quite believe it, there he was skinning along the flat cross country piste as it then ran through the kids Jardin de Neige using his heel risers Laughing

Glad I am not the only Wally
latest report
@Weathercam, could well be a complete beginner on his first ever trial skin.
snow conditions
Anything is possible. I was on a dedicated powder touring trip on Hokkaido in 2018, so we had all flown half way around the world, and we were all supposed to be ski tourers. One of the participants was on rental gear. On the first transition, they put the skins on backwards (tip to tails), which is difficult to understand if they had any experience of putting skins on. This was then compounded when we set off and they didn’t immediately realise their error, but struggled until the slope increased and they fell behind. When the guide investigated, they complained the skins didn’t grip and then realised what they had done.
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:

Speedturns might be pain in the a** sometimes to turn Laughing But on serious side, I stopped counting how many people I see on flat or very mellow climbs with risers on. But then again, it's not really my problem so anyone does whatever he/she wants Smile
ski holidays
@PowderAdict, ok this is absolutely no BS !!!!

Our first trip to Japan and we were a group of mixed abilities, to say the least!

Whilst the majority of the group stayed skiing in Niseko, four us with a very experienced guide headed off towards Mount Yotei.

It was the OH and I and a father and son, the father was not too bad, but the son was a real "Kevin" the teenager. As the guide picked us up he reiterated that we should be dressed for very cold temps even though we were touring.

At the parking area Kevin could not get into his boots that they had hired the night before, in the end, the Guide swapped boots with him as they were, apart from too cold to put on, a size too small.

Climbing was not too bad initially and Kevin started showing signs of frustration and was not too long before the questions started as to how far do we have to go and how long etc

We eventually decided to call it a day after a 1,000m as it was windy, very cold and snow was wind affected.

Kevin just sat down and we thought nothing of it, and the transition along with refreshments was certainly longer than I would have liked. It then dawned on us that Kevin was doing nothing and the Guide started to get concerned as he was showing signs of hyperthermia.

His Dad then went to his aid, and had a load of Kevin type abuse, that he was ok and just wanted to wait where he was etc etc

Dad took the sons skins off and had to pack everything away for him, and the sons' hands were so bad it was a real job to get his gloves on.

We then prepared to ski and I was backmarker, the son, although a good skier was being a complete Cock and was holding both skis in one hand as "he could not hold the poles as his hands were so cold".

As we did the first pitch the Dad was skiing really bad, and the Guide shouted up at me to make sure he's put his boots into downhill mode, which he had.

The second pitch he still skied it really badly, and was only when we were all together that my OH looked at the Dad's skis and noticed that he still had one skin on!

In all the panic of the realisation of the onset of hyperthermia, he'd gone to his son's aid midway through his own transition!

Pics and blog here but OH did not mention Kevin, though in the pic you can see him sitting down.
ski holidays
Little sortie today to take advantage of the 20cm+ that fell over the weekend, as 4/5 and windy, opted for a safe forest tour.

It was our first tour for quite a while as conditions have not been good, and going up the snow was first class, however, there were an inordinate amount of boulders showing that are usually covered by at least another meter + of snow.

We opted for our usual route and there had been a lot of avalanche activity after the rain and warm temps and there wasn't a lot more to slide off from above.

Trouble was that a lot of the debris was covered by the fresh snow, so although we could see some big lumps of frozen snow poking through the surface it was the ones just underneath that made it like a feckin mine-field Laughing

That said we managed some nice turns and was great to be back up away from the resort.

http://youtube.com/v/fetJdrIqiaY
snow report
Love the photo from@Weathercam, it's something you see quite often.
It took me back many years to an incident I saw over in Grindelwald. An elegant young lady was striding purposefully towards us on skins. Naturally she was on full "stiletto" but something else caught my eye! Her skis were "floating" above the piste. The skins had picked up snow and it had built up to an impressive 5 or 6cms thick block. Her balance must have been incredible to control such an unstable set up.
I've always regretted not taking a photo of her!!
snow report
Alien RS and the missus Speed Guide 80 / Crest 10 a joy on the up! Cracked the 1000m/hour pace on the local track. The down was a different story… Would have made @Weathercam look like a FWT athlete Very Happy
snow report
@BobinCH, what's the weak point in the setup?
snow conditions
gorilla wrote:
@BobinCH, what's the weak point in the setup?

The boots are around 1000g so are a lot more go kart than the Zero-G Mercedes. Any balance wobbles get punished. And the 80mm 170cm 1100g Speed Guides are a lot less ski than I’m used to. They actually felt pretty predictable on the bit of the track that was like a piste but when I went into the chop you had to be right on it. I’m sure I’ll warm to them with a bit more practice. The up was like flying snowHead
ski holidays
Real world weight comparisons:
Scott Speed Guide 80 with ATK Crest 10 w brakes

Movement Alp Track 106 + Alpinist 12 w leashes

DPS Pagoda tour 112 + ATK FR14 w freeride spacers, toe shims and brakes

Speed guide precut skins

Pomoca Pro Free 2.0

Pomoca Pro Climb 2.0

Tecnica Zero-G with Sidas CRT liners + mods, footbed and booster straps

Scarpa Alien RS + footbeds