Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring for wallies

Poster: A snowHead
Touring boys are going to have to get used to a new view this season snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BobinCH wrote:
adithorp wrote:
kitenski wrote:
It’s the start of the hate Bob season!!

Fixed that for you Toofy Grin

Keep them coming @BobinCH, snowHead

They do say love and hate are intricately linked within the human brain Very Happy

4rse pics aren't going to tip that balance Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Look at these beauties - 200g DIN 12 binding with brakes “ATK Kuluar”

Guy in the shop was purring about them
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BobinCH, oooooohhhhhh I can think of a new home for those Laughing

And another light weight touring ski contender

https://www.ledauphine.com/skichrono/2021/11/05/glen-plake-presente-son-elan-ripstick
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BobinCH wrote:
Look at these beauties - 200g DIN 12 binding with brakes “ATK Kuluar”

Guy in the shop was purring about them

The new Kuluar is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Aggressive/higher din users should be on the C-Raider/Raider and others on the Crest.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@spyderjon, various U-Bows available?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
KenX wrote:
@spyderjon, various U-Bows available?

Nope, that's the problem. The Kuluar 9 has a "soft" u-bow and the Kuluar 12 has a "hard" u-bow and ATK aren't quoting any figures for them. If you want a u-bow binding then their excellent Trofeo binding has u-bows in 4, 6, 8 & 10din releases. ATK's USP is independently fully adjustable lateral and vertical releases combined with a lot of longitudinal elasticity etc.

There's two versions with the LT models of the 9 and 12 coming without brakes but including ATK's extremely good kevlar leash. The Kulaur 12 (with brake) shown in BobinCH's is incorrectly labelled as that binding weighs 250g (without mounting screws - as per all ATK's quoted weights!), it's the brakeless LT version that weighs 200g.

The one product gap that the Kuluar fits in would be the high din/very light category so that'd be the Kuluar 12 LT but I'd argue that if a user really needs that higher din then they should be sacrificing a few grams and going for a burlier model &/or with the ability to fine tune the vertical release.

I'm a huge ATK fan and I sell loads of them but this is another example of them producing another 'frankenbinding' from all the other options they do to further over complicate what is an already over complicated product offering.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Coincidentally, I have Shifts on my new Mantras, I'm not keen on lightweight skis either, I go skiing for the downhill, and it's the engine that counts uphill...
Any lightweight skis I have tried have been rubbish in deep powder or on ice. 3rd pair of Mantra's.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@spyderjon,
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon wrote:
The new Kuluar is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Aggressive/higher din users should be on the C-Raider/Raider and others on the Crest.

Can't work out the difference between the Raider and C-Raider. Compared to the crest they look to have 5 different heel heights as opposed to 3 for the crest. Am I right in thinking they are not flat like the Alpinist - are there standard spacer plates available to make them flat?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

Can't work out the difference between the Raider and C-Raider. Compared to the crest they look to have 5 different heel heights as opposed to 3 for the crest. Am I right in thinking they are not flat like the Alpinist - are there standard spacer plates available to make them flat?

DB, The Raider & C-Raider are 12 din versus the 10 of the Crest. The Raider/C-Raider has 20% more longitudinal elasticity than the Crest and 5mm more length adjustment. The Raider/C-Raider has five climbing bars with magnetic retention versus the 3 non-mag of the Crest. The Raider/C-Raider heels can be fitted with the AL09 Freeride Spacer kit which noticeably increases the power transmission but the Crests can't.

The C-Raider has a carbon composite toe chassis (like the Alpinist toe) which makes it 30g lighter than the Raider. The C-Raider doesn't have the variable touring tension toe of the Raider (which is another solution to a problem that doesn't exist!)

The Alpinist delta isn't flat, it's 2-4mm depending on the boot used. Delta's for the ATK models are:

Race Collection - flat
Release 10 - 4mm
Trofeo Plus/Haute Route 10 - 5.5mm
RT 10/8 & Crest 10/8 - 7mm
Raider 12/14/16 - 11.5mm
C-Raider 12 - 10mm

ATK now offer the AL12 4mm toe shim kit c/w longer screws for their Raider/C-Raider models. I can make toe shims c/w screws for any binding.

On the braked models the brakes can be removed (saving 43g) and ATK now offer the AL11 Brake Seat Cover Set (3g) to stop snow/ice clogging in the brake housing recess = 40g net weight saving.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon wrote:
[
The Alpinist delta isn't flat, it's 2-4mm depending on the boot used. Delta's for the ATK models are:

Race Collection - flat
Release 10 - 4mm
Raider 12/14/16 - 11.5mm
C-Raider 12 - 10mm

ATK now offer the AL12 4mm toe shim kit c/w longer screws for their Raider/C-Raider models. I can make toe shims c/w screws for any binding.

Interesting. I didn’t feel anything like the same delta “back seat” issue on the FR14’s than with my old Fritschi Xenic’s despite the high delta quoted above. Any idea why?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BobinCH wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
[

Race Collection - flat
Release 10 - 4mm
Raider 12/14/16 - 11.5mm
C-Raider 12 - 10mm

Interesting. I didn’t feel anything like the same delta “back seat” issue on the FR14’s than with my old Fritschi Xenic’s despite the high delta quoted above. Any idea why?

BobinCH, Same boots?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
[

Race Collection - flat
Release 10 - 4mm
Raider 12/14/16 - 11.5mm
C-Raider 12 - 10mm

BobinCH, Same boots?

Same boots but very different skis. Quite traditional Kaestle TX98 to heavily rockered DPS Pagoda Tour 112
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've always mounted those low/little tip rocker cambered Kastle models at +1 to +2cm as I've never liked the factory line - so if you still have them try remounting them.
snow conditions
@BobinCH, if you want to drop the delta by 4mm I've just got the ATK shims sets in stock c/w extended screws

snow conditions
And for the ATK models that come with brakes I've also got the new Brake Seat Covers which fill in the recess in the heel base should the user remove the brakes completely. A single brake has a nominal weight of 43g and the covers are 3g each to give a 40g net gain per ski.

ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
@BobinCH, if you want to drop the delta by 4mm I've just got the ATK shims sets in stock c/w extended screws

Will ski them a few more times in different conditions to see how they feel. Would that require QKing them or can use the existing holes?
snow report
nevis1003 wrote:
Coincidentally, I have Shifts on my new Mantras, I'm not keen on lightweight skis either, I go skiing for the downhill, and it's the engine that counts uphill...
Any lightweight skis I have tried have been rubbish in deep powder or on ice. 3rd pair of Mantra's.

This is ok if you are super fit but dragging Mantra / Shift weight up a 1500m climb at high altitude leaves you knackered at the top. I have (very) light skis that are good in powder. Not great on ice but manageable when necessary and I don’t go touring to ski ice.
snow conditions
nevis1003 wrote:

Reckon these skis would smoke your mantras in the powder snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/vdQTKvGSU_A
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

Will ski them a few more times in different conditions to see how they feel. Would that require QKing them or can use the existing holes?

Existing holes.
snow report
I follow this with interest and fear. Interesting observing it from a distance and a bit of “distant learning”. Bit of jealousy for those closer to the white stuff. But loads of fear for how complicated touring gear offerings are. @spyderjon, is an encyclopaedia of gear snowHead
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

Existing holes.

Ok I’m in for the test. Would be good to properly compare. Can you kindly ship me a set over.
snow report
New toys for a lucky snowHead:
Freeride Touring: 184cm DPS Tour 1 Wailer 112 RP2 c/w ATK C-Raider 12's with Freeride Spacers - 1850g per ski
Touring: 180cm Volkl Rise High c/w ATK Crest 10 - 1450g per ski
And touring for the missus: 158cm DPS Tour 1 Nina 99 c/w ATK Crest 8 - 1466g per ski

latest report
Lucky guy!
latest report
Night skiing is on snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/x0OtZx__ntI
snow conditions
Great stuff.
ski holidays
Lucky timing straight after a couple of hours of major dumpage. At 1000m

View down to Montreux and the lake. France in the background

First pitch at 1700m

Welcoming committee

It was brutally cold at the top (-15?) but we’ll worth it for the best conditions we’ve had on the local hill
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Excellent work that man (men) snowHead
snow conditions
PowderAdict wrote:
Excellent work that man (men) snowHead

The Pagoda Tours are amazing. Stick them on your shopping list Very Happy
latest report
I’ve already got 184cm Powderworks RP100’s which I guess are the prototypes of the Pagoda range, so they would be a bit of a duplicate (but since when as that ever stopped me Toofy Grin).
ski holidays
PowderAdict wrote:
I’ve already got 184cm Powderworks RP100’s which I guess are the prototypes of the Pagoda range, so they would be a bit of a duplicate (but since when as that ever stopped me Toofy Grin).

The Tour is a fair bit (500g?) lighter than the normal Pagoda so a joy to tour on and ski long days. Skis really well, especially in 3D snow
latest report
@spyderjon, in 2 minds about whether to mount the toe shims on the ATK’s as I’m really liking them as they are. Would it be a problem to try them and then remove and put back the normal screws if I prefer without? Won’t wear out the thread?
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
PowderAdict wrote:

The Tour is a fair bit (500g?) lighter than the normal Pagoda so a joy to tour on and ski long days. Skis really well, especially in 3D snow

It looks like the Powderworks RP100 was the prototype for the Pagoda tour, rather than the Pagoda, as I’ve just weighed one of mine, and mounted with a ATK Crest 10 it’s 1790gm.

The Pagoda Tour RP100 184 is listed at 1550gm and the ATK Crest 10 at 260-280gm, so 1810gm minimum.
ski holidays
PowderAdict wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
PowderAdict wrote:

It looks like the Powderworks RP100 was the prototype for the Pagoda tour, rather than the Pagoda, as I’ve just weighed one of mine, and mounted with a ATK Crest 10 it’s 1790gm.

The Pagoda Tour RP100 184 is listed at 1550gm and the ATK Crest 10 at 260-280gm, so 1810gm minimum.

Ah ok nice! Are you enjoying it?
latest report
Unlike some I could mention wink, I haven’t been on snow since Feb 2020, I can’t remember what skiing is like, let alone the skis Sad

I only got about 4 days on them. I bought them for a some big touring days in Japan, but only skied for 2 of the 8 days, due to catching what may have been Covid as Hokkaido was a hot spot at the time.
snow report
PowderAdict wrote:
I can’t remember what skiing is like, let alone the skis Sad

Confused Confused Confused
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
@spyderjon, in 2 minds about whether to mount the toe shims on the ATK’s as I’m really liking them as they are. Would it be a problem to try them and then remove and put back the normal screws if I prefer without? Won’t wear out the thread?

No problem so long as you're gentle and don't over torque the screws. No. 3 pozidrive bit required and a squirt of exterior pva wood glue in the holes.
snow conditions
I was in two minds about the wisdom of buying another set of Xenics for my Scott Superguide Freetour 105s what with some of the niggling issues that I've learned to live/deal with, but at a Black-Friday deal of €305 inc brakes and fitting I sort of forgot those issues.

So I went to collect them today having dropped them off yesterday to find out that there is a new stomp plate design that ensures that the brake will stay in place and that these can be retro-fitted to older Xenics, and they have also changed the front toe piece not that I can see where, so it is much easier to pull up, so all in all pretty pleased.

And whilst I'm not skiing on the new skis just yet as snow cover is a tad sparse the difference in shape is substantial with much more of a shovel at the tip.

Skis weigh in at 1890 same as the old Guides which are 183 vs 185 and the new FreeTours with those tips have more area as well

latest report
Weathercam wrote:
I was in two minds about the wisdom of buying another set of Xenics for my Scott Superguide Freetour 105s what with some of the niggling issues that I've learned to live/deal with, but at a Black-Friday deal of €305 inc brakes and fitting I sort of forgot those issues.

So I went to collect them today having dropped them off yesterday to find out that there is a new stomp plate design that ensures that the brake will stay in place and that these can be retro-fitted to older Xenics, and they have also changed the front toe piece not that I can see where, so it is much easier to pull up, so all in all pretty pleased.

And whilst I'm not skiing on the new skis just yet as snow cover is a tad sparse the difference in shape is substantial with much more of a shovel at the tip.

Skis weigh in at 1890 same as the old Guides which are 183 vs 185 and the new FreeTours with those tips have more area as well

Just the sight of those bi dings gives me the heebie-jeebies Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy