Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring for wallies

Poster: A snowHead
Weathercam wrote:
Can't believe I'm seriously contemplating this but do think an e-bike (MTB) is the next bit of touring gear to consider, though think renting might be more economically viable.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy The slippery slope...

May I suggest you start a ski touring for OAP’s thread Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BobinCH wrote:
........ Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy The slippery slope...

Yes that must have been why my grey matter was suggesting to me the rental option as I would not have temptation in the summer Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No more excuses
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BobinCH, what does that set replace /upgrade?? Liking the X reflection Razz
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:
@BobinCH, what does that set replace /upgrade?? Liking the X reflection Razz

Wider, lighter upgrade to the Kaestle TX98’s with my favorite Xenic bindings Very Happy

For long climbs with the promise of pow on the descent...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ATK C-Raider update - Had an 'unexpected release' today, no harm done.
What I learnt when I read the manual (natural I don't RTFM before going skiing, where's the fun in that as Val Desire would say) is that these things are so slick they have TWO release settings at the heel. One controls vertical release, the other lateral.
When I picked them up from the vendor/fitter I peered at the tiny DIN-style window are saw they were indeed at my preferred setting (starting with the assumption the numbers = DINs and adjusting later as needed), job done.
Looks like the fitter didn't read the leaflet either because the lateral release was on the minimum 5, quite sufficient for an elegant touring skier but not enough for a heavier, clumsy skier who still tends to edge his skis even OP.
Anyway, I have adjusted the lateral to match the vertical and will take the screwdriver tomorrow in case further tweaks are needed.
Still very impressed with the product.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weathercam wrote:
Can't believe I'm seriously contemplating this but do think an e-bike (MTB) is the next bit of touring gear to consider, though think renting might be more economically viable.

Yesterday drove the van up a gnarly trail and parked up at 1,650 and then hiked for another hour to get to put the skins on 2,000m (South facing side of the valley) - up near the Granon road, usually, we can drive up it but currently, it's blocked at 1,500 with snow-plough debris.

Or we spend two or three hours digging out the snow?

I'm confused - you want to get an e-bike because the van got snowed in?

Weathercam wrote:
Amazing the difference that 6mm can make!

As the actress said to the bishop. wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DB, as always happens as we near the end of the season, though this year it's come a lot sooner, some of our ski-touring areas require a longer approach now to get to the snow-line, if going for South facing spring snow etc

One area we often ski is up near the Col du Granon, normally we can drive up that road, but at the bottom, it is blocked with a pile of old snow which I can't drive past but could cycle around it, and the same is true of other trails, in that you can't really drive up as some hairpins are in the shade and still have a lot of snow, but with a bike you could push the bike around it.

Yesterday I enquired about a fat-bike as these can ride over quite thick snow and there's an area where we tour where you could ride up a gradient of circa 4% for 10km to get to some great skiing. The rate was €45 for the day which seemed excessive bearing in mind not too many people renting them now, game plan is that I ride it and tow the OH along Laughing

I'd then lock the bike up and take the battery with me as we get to the point where the climb starts.

We're going up there tomorrow to see the lay of the land as it were for 5km by foot or I might be able to drive further now since it's been around 3weeks since I was last up there.

This morning we're going N facing and a long valley approach that some SH's have skied, Montagnolle.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Weathercam, Nice idea but the hire cost might be worth the investment just to see how practical it is in reality. There does seem to be scope for the faff factor to go off the scale if you're not careful. How long a period would it be useful for?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Weathercam,

Sounds like a load of faffing - securing Fat E-Bike and hiding battery for conditions that don't occur that often. Bike could get nicked, battery could go flat in the cold or worse get wet.

Still my money is on you buying another toy then riding it during the summer saying "I only bought it to get round the piles of snow that occur once in at least every 5 years but now that I have it I might as well us it in the summer". wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DB, I'm still up for a trial (rent one) to see.

I have some very good locks, also who the hell will be up there with the necessary gear to cut through them?

And the conditions, this season especially so are occurring Crying or Very sad

Going up a particular valley this morning to scope things out and see how far we can get with the van.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Went up that valley yesterday and it was feckin mobbed!

Usually maybe five-ten cars parked up on the road as far as you can drive, but yesterday must have been fifty or so.

Vast percentage were local and either snow-shoes or XC can only think it must be because other XC areas are knackered with the lack of snow?

So maybe if I turned up on a fat-bike the control would turn me back?

Anyway first picture has the Petite Rochbrune in the background, about 5km away and then zoomed in so you can see the potential.

In fact when I was skating along the plateau to and from our start point of the ski-tour I was passing others on XC gear, then whilst waiting for the dogs on the way back this ski-tourer came along skating on XC gear and dragging his touring kit.

Think it's going to be an early start one morning and skate as far as I can, then skin then skate to get to there, can't see too many takers though, maybe the snapper Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Final kit update:

New Sidas Liners with reinforced tongue. Booster straps for better upper leg retention and smooth flex. After 2 outings first impressions are very good
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BobinCH wrote:
Final kit update:...

Somehow I doubt that wink snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
adithorp wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Final kit update:...

Somehow I doubt that wink snowHead

Obviously, only for this season! Start of May we have to prepare for 21/22 season snowHead
ski holidays
Getting lighter so the Thursday night skin is now the twilight skin

Hmmm Attelas couloirs at night next time?

And back to town dodging the piste badgers

Gunpowder curry and some Vinabagnes wine tasting is the prize
snow report
Alien invasion

Scenic

latest report
What Swiss Army knife doesn’t come with a bottle opener Embarassed
snow report
My beautiful Movement Alp Tracks are delaminating at the tail. Only used them a handful of times. How annoying...

They are a delight to skin on and ski in soft snow...
snow report
Looks more like they have been dropped on a hard surface tails first Crying or Very sad

If it was a skiiing 'injury' I would have expected the edges to be bent the other way.
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
My beautiful Movement Alp Tracks are delaminating at the tail. Only used them a handful of times. How annoying...

They are a delight to skin on and ski in soft snow...

That is a shame.
Wow those skis are thin! I want to believe that all this lovely new kit is lighter (for sure) while just as durable (less certain) so these set backs are a disappointment to us all, even if we don't plan to try the stuff till we can get it 2nd hand. Let us know what Movement say regarding fixing it, blaming you, etc.
I'm still hoping for a splurge of barely used pre-owned touring kit next year if people who bought this year go back to lift served next season.
latest report
PowderAdict wrote:
Looks more like they have been dropped on a hard surface tails first Crying or Very sad

If it was a skiiing 'injury' I would have expected the edges to be bent the other way.

That could be me tapping them on the floor to get the snow off but I do it with all my skis and have never had an issue like this so they must be seriously delicate for that to have bent the edge!
ski holidays
That'll definitely do it! Just had to repair a friend's skis from doing exactly the same......
latest report
At around 1.4kg per ski they aren't ultra light, but certainly lightweight, so the weight saving has to come from somewhere.

Is there any chance that your skin tail clips are metal and are causing this?

My DPS RP100's have no metal edge on the tails to reduce swing weight/overall weight, so I'm always careful about tapping them.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 23-04-21 17:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Fixable at a decent shop though, don't cry..........
snow conditions
PowderAdict wrote:
At around 1.4kg per ski they aren't ultra light, but certainly lightweight, so the weight saving has to come from somewhere.

Is there any chance that your skin tail clips are metal and are causing this?

My DPS RP100's have no metal edge on the tails to reduce swing weight/overall weight, so I'm always careful about tapping them.

Plastic Pomoca clips so don’t think it’s that
ski holidays
KenX wrote:
Fixable at a decent shop though, don't cry..........

Any DIY tips to stop water getting in? Leaving for Haute Route on Tuesday...
latest report
Any shops open in Verbier? If not, gaffer tape will keep the worst out until you can get them fixed, don't try and put anything in there, it will hinder a proper repair, that won't be a warranty job.....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
KenX wrote:
Any shops open in Verbier? If not, gaffer tape will keep the worst out until you can get them fixed, don't try and put anything in there, it will hinder a proper repair, that won't be a warranty job.....

Yep but I leave before they open tomorrow and on Tuesday when I’m next back up. Will gaffer tape tomorrow and try the place in Vevey on Monday. Thanks for the tips!
ski holidays
There's a reason why all the quality touring skis on the market have tail inserts wink
snow conditions
Hmm, this might be the start of a slippery slope....but looking back to when I've used off piste skis over the past 3 years I seem to have been touring!

I've done a 3 day hut tour in the Vanoise, a days touring from Courchevel and then a days tour at Cairngorm yesterday.

So after yesterdays epic day in the Cairngorms I'm wondering about kit!

First off, insulated pants are way to hot, this would improve my comfort hugely so reckon I will be doing some googling for some Goretex shell pants - any recommendations?

Skis are the Whitedot R.98 @ 3.98kg, whilst not super light, I reckon they are good for what I do and I enjoy skiing them.

Bindings - Marker F12 Tour EPF @ 1.09gk, looks like pin bindings would half this but need to do some more reading about pin bindings. Frame bindings seemed to be the best idea at the time I got them for mostly lift served touring.

Boots - 5.2kg alpine boots with zipfit liners. I'm wondering if this might be the best "bang for the buck" update? Can you get a touring boot that will also work skiing pistes all day on a detuned GS ski?? How much weight would I save, would I give up any piste performance??

Few pics from yesterday.

snow conditions
Looks lovely!

Kecks - just get shells with decent side vents. If just using for touring, you could consider soft shell for extra breathability but if you want one pair for everything, hard shell will be better.

Agree that boots would be the place to start on your upgrade journey. Apart from anything else, if you upgrade to pin bindings, you'll need new boots anyway. The weight difference is very noticeable, as is having a proper walk mode. You may lose a little performance at the top end on piste but I'm probably not the best person to comment because I haven't skied much in alpine boots for a long time
ski holidays
Agree. Get some lighter boots if you’re doing a fair bit of touring. Technica Zero-G Tour Pro is excellent. Lange are releasing a similar light boot for the upcoming season. They will work in Alpine bindings but are not as stiff. Can you use your existing Alpine Boots for the GS skis? For a 1 boot quiver the Hybrid boots like the new Cochise 130 are worth a look but I find I rarely use my Hybrid boots as the Zero-G’s are so much better for touring and I still prefer my Alpine boots for Freeride of any consequence. This Podcast is worth a listen
https://blisterreview.com/podcasts/at-boots-bindings-skis-w-sebastian-steinbach-ep-145
snow report
@kitenski, cracking pics too!
ski holidays
@BobinCH, yeah current alpine boots fine for GS skis, just can't see my travelling with 2 pairs of boots & 2 pairs of skis!! That Zero-G looks worthy of further investigations!!

Little video from yesterday
http://youtube.com/v/LdEHVDkP1-g
snow report
@kitenski, nice! The Zero-G’s are amazing for the weight. If you want a less dramatic change, have a look at those new Cochise 130’s for a 1 Boot quiver. At 1800g it’s still going to be a lot lighter than your Alpine Boots and tour better. Stick some Marker Alpinists on at 300g to shift a load more weight!
snow report
And if they fit you I can highly recommend these for touring. A lot more breathable and comfortable, with the stretch material than shell pants. I wore them for all my touring this season including the Haute Route in storms and never missed the Shell pants
https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/2207756
snow conditions
Quote:

Boots - 5.2kg alpine boots with zipfit liners. I'm wondering if this might be the best "bang for the buck" update? Can you get a touring boot that will also work skiing pistes all day on a detuned GS ski?? How much weight would I save, would I give up any piste performance??

Short answer, yes. Something like a Lange Freetour or whatever they are calling it now will both fit in alpine bindings and also allow use of pin bindings. They are heavy (2kg per foot or thereabouts) and the walk mode is compromised compared to a real touring boot. It will ski like an alpine boot, though, unless you are skiing at a very high level and really need the performance.

For anything lighter you are looking at either a grip walk or touring norm sole that might be harder or impossible to fit into the bindings on your piste skis.
latest report
@kitenski, unless you always drive then for UK based skiers a one-boot-solution using one of the latest generation of freeride touring boots as offered now by all of the brands is the only practical solution however you'll need to be very careful about binding compatibility.

A full touring soled boot will only fit in a very small number of alpine bindings (ie the MNC bindings from Salomon/Atomic, the ID bindings from Marker and the AT bindings from Head/Tyrolia) and there isn't a rail system on the market (as used on GS skis) that have that capability. Your best bet would be a GripWalk (GW) soled boot but if the bindings on your GS skis are more than a couple of years old then they'll be for an alpine soled boot only and won't be GW compatible. Some binding brands are now offering replacement GW compatible AFD's to allow you to convert/upgrade rail bindings from alpine only to dual alpine/GW but not for all of their models.

If you let me know the make/model of the rail bindings on your GS skis then I can check what soles they'll accept and whether they can be converted - but it's unlikely that it'll be a goer.

If you're not going to be switching to a tech binding then the solution I usually recommend for folks in this situation (I get a few a week!) would be to remove the rail system from your piste skis and then to share your frame binding across both skis using Quiver Killer inserts - the only problem with that solution for you is that the wider EPF frame on your F12's might be too wide for your narrow cheater GS skis - but I can be an adaptor plate to allow it to be done.

I know that you're a 'careful Yorkshireman' but I deal with this all the time and it's very difficult to gradually switch from alpine boots/frame bindings to tech boots'n'bindings but the latest generation of freeride touring (tech) bindings ski are so much better than frame bindings so if you can I'd go the whole hog and swap everything in a oner. Your skis (& skins) are great so get boots sorted and then mount some Shifts/Tectons/ATK's/Alpinists (depending upon your uphill time) and either sell the F12's to offset the cost or put them on your missus' skis (so free bindings for her which is a big saving). And you're still a paid up BASI 2 then I can do Shifts/MTN's on their Pro deal.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
......Little video from yesterday
http://youtube.com/v/LdEHVDkP1-g

That fish-eye view is truly awful!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy