Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring for wallies

Poster: A snowHead
WTF...

Lucky the track was soft and smooth Shocked
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm. Not quite the photos we were all hoping for. Hope it all went ok otherwise.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Where's the 2 hooks for the crampons gone from the Xenics then?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like they were never there?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Weathercam wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
@Spyderjon or other experts, do you know if a dynafit crampon will fut a Fritschi Xenic binding?

Affirmative

Is the glass of wine just for scale or is it required for fitting?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
KenX wrote:

This is the $1m question ?!?!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Did you remember to refit them when you fitted the perspex riser plates???
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No way this could slip out on its own, check under the bench.......

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@gorilla, to be fair it wasn’t all bad. TR incoming
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
KenX wrote:
No way this could slip out on its own, check under the bench.......

Doooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BobinCH wrote:
KenX wrote:

Maybe they never had them or whoever mounted the shims forgot to put them back in place. (or they won’t fit with the shims).

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 21-02-21 18:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BobinCH wrote:
@gorilla, to be fair it wasn’t all bad. TR incoming

Right decision to go early, looks awesome.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, ok. That looks more than alright.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
KenX wrote:

Maybe they never had them or whoever mounted the shims forgot to put them back in place. (or they won’t fit with the shims).

There's no problem with the shim as the crampons bracket is recessed in to the underside of the base - it just hasn't been installed.
latest report
TR here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4742598#4742598
latest report
DB wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
KenX wrote:

One of them has the crampon installed so suspect it was a mounting error. Hopefully I can order one online
snow report
Actually, all this crampon talk has got me thinking, how many people who are renting gear or dugout / borrowed an old pair of skis with Fritschi Freeride bindings etc and who, maybe their technique is limited will find themselves having a bit of a mare if they don't have crampons over the coming weeks with no sign of much-needed precipitation?

That said the forecast is even worse as it doesn't look like an overnight freeze mid-week onwards, at least down in this part of the world Sad
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
Actually, all this crampon talk has got me thinking, how many people who are renting gear or dugout / borrowed an old pair of skis with Fritschi Freeride bindings etc and who, maybe their technique is limited will find themselves having a bit of a mare if they don't have crampons over the coming weeks with no sign of much-needed precipitation?

That said the forecast is even worse as it doesn't look like an overnight freeze mid-week onwards, at least down in this part of the world Sad

I just found some old Fritschi Freeride crampons in the cave in case anyone needs them!
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
I just found some old Fritschi Freeride crampons in the cave in case anyone needs them!

Just done the same and found a pair too if people need them.
snow report
My mates are toast Mr. Green
snow conditions
@BobinCH, Laughing
latest report
@BobinCH,
Laughing

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 23-02-21 11:28; edited 2 times in total
snow report
New target fixed

ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
New target fixed

Looks like quite a challenge that most do over two days from Bourg St. Pierre (1664m).
http://www.sirdar.de/index.php?id=2+&bericht=b325

https://www.outdooractive.com/de/route/skitour/glacier-de-valsorey/skitour-mont-velan/27967288/
ski holidays
DB wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
New target fixed

Looks like quite a challenge that most do over two days from Bourg St. Pierre (1664m).
http://www.sirdar.de/index.php?id=2+&bericht=b325

https://www.outdooractive.com/de/route/skitour/glacier-de-valsorey/skitour-mont-velan/27967288/

We’re aiming for those couloirs rather than the summit. Will be another dawn raid.

Did an early dash on the heavy rig. Put an Intuition liner in the Zero-G’s. Didn’t enjoy it much on the up but was pretty solid on the down!

Mates are cheating again...
ski holidays
600m+ / hr on a heavy rig, the Haute Route (max. 1400m vert per day?) will be a walk in the park for you.
Almost 90 km/h on a touring setup - shows how much touring equipment has come on.

Must be fantastic having couloirs like these 'on your doorstep' ....

snow report
DB wrote:

Must be fantastic having couloirs like these 'on your doorstep' ....

This is an hour from us. To be honest I rarely go beyond the Verbier boundaries but my mate skis a lot with a guide and reckons this is one of the most interesting areas. Alas I fear conditions may be challenging with the Foehn wind blowing and Saharan sand back on the menu. Fingers crossed...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BobinCH wrote:
This is an hour from us. To be honest I rarely go beyond the Verbier boundaries but my mate skis a lot with a guide and reckons this is one of the most interesting areas. Alas I fear conditions may be challenging with the Foehn wind blowing and Saharan sand back on the menu. Fingers crossed...

To be honest if you are that close I'd wait until the conditions are right and get a guide at short notice. No point pushing it for crappy snow, esp. in a tricky snow year like this one. The only mountain I've done twice above 3500m is Großvenediger, the weather & snow conditions on the first trip made it far better than the second trip. Better skiing, pictures, mountain views & memories.
latest report
Can anyone confirm if Alpinist binding should be flush with boot in ski mode (as I understood from the nice German chap on the video?

Which leaves a small gap in tour mode
ski holidays
DB wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

To be honest if you are that close I'd wait until the conditions are right and get a guide at short notice. No point pushing it for crappy snow, esp. in a tricky snow year like this one. The only mountain I've done twice above 3500m is Großvenediger, the weather & snow conditions on the first trip made it far better than the second trip. Better skiing, pictures, mountain views & memories.

We had a crack this morning. Snow was interesting Very Happy

Anibal couloir

Battlefield

Didn’t fancy the top of that for first run on the new skis so backed out to fight another day
snow conditions
@BobinCH, A 0.5mm to 1mm heel gap for Alpinist (when on the bench with the boot fully clicked in) is perfect.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 25-02-21 19:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
Can anyone confirm if Alpinist binding should be flush with boot in ski mode (as I understood from the nice German chap on the video?

Can't see the link to the video you mentioned - you mean this one? (at 3:38.)

http://youtube.com/v/Fl7EwsYejr4

Better to take an expert opinion rather than mine (like the one above that I've only just seen after posting this), but he does say it should be just touching without any pressure from the binding onto the boot.

Hard to tell from the angle of your first pic but it looks like the heel is not seated properly and the heel should be approx 1 cm lower (looks like the heel is resting on the pins rather than being clicked in)
ski holidays
Came across this group today saying how @BobinCH, had been coaching them Laughing

latest report
BobinCH wrote:
We had a crack this morning. Snow was interesting Very Happy

Good effort, I can see you had your whippets out at the ready. Snow looks like refrozen avalanche debris.
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
Came across this group today saying how @BobinCH, had been coaching them Laughing

Is this how people with shifts but no skins go ski touring? wink
snow report
@DB, very good Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
DB wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

That video is a f'ing disgrace with loads of basic errors!

1. The heel should always be mounted first and the toe second as that's only only way to correctly align the toe with the heel, ie - mount the heel / partially install all four screws so the toe binding is attached but will moved around a mm or two in any direction / install the boot in to the toe binding and lower the boot until the boot heel sits on the pins, ie the pins go up the 'funnels' each side of the heel insert. There's no need to fully click the boot in to the heel binding / with one hand putting downward pressure on the boot cuff, tighten the front two toe screws which are accessible in front of the boot toe / carefully remove the boot from the toe binding and the tighten the two rear toe screws / reinstall the boot in to the toe binding and check the heel drops straight down on to/in line with the pins (which it will if you do the above right).

2. Never ever use a power driver when installing binding screws in a lightweight construction ski as it's highly likely the core will be stripped.

3. Never ever use a power driver to adjust the heel length as it's the fastest way to strip the thread.

I regularly get skis sent to me will the one, tow or all all of the above issues. Markers Marketing Dept have a history of publishing crap and that video is another example.

The Alpinist heel gap with the boot fully clicked-in on the bench should be 0.5mm to 1mm. This means that when you're actually standing in the binding that, due to the flex of the ski, that the heel will be just touching the boot. If you don't leave the slight gap when when doing the bench set-up then when clicking in the weighted ski on the ground the rear of the boot will be bashing the top front edge of the heel turret every time it's installed.
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
DB wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

That video is a f'ing disgrace with loads of basic errors!

1. The heel should always be mounted first and the toe second as that's only only way to correctly align the toe with the heel, ie - mount the heel / partially install all four screws so the toe binding is attached but will moved around a mm or two in any direction / install the boot in to the toe binding and lower the boot until the boot heel sits on the pins, ie the pins go up the 'funnels' each side of the heel insert. There's no need to fully click the boot in to the heel binding / with one hand putting downward pressure on the boot cuff, tighten the front two toe screws which are accessible in front of the boot toe / carefully remove the boot from the toe binding and the tighten the two rear toe screws / reinstall the boot in to the toe binding and check the heel drops straight down on to/in line with the pins (which it will if you do the above right).

2. Never ever use a power driver when installing binding screws in a lightweight construction ski as it's highly likely the core will be stripped.

3. Never ever use a power driver to adjust the heel length as it's the fastest way to strip the thread.

I regularly get skis sent to me will the one, tow or all all of the above issues. Markers Marketing Dept have a history of publishing crap and that video is another example.

The Alpinist heel gap with the boot fully clicked-in on the bench should be 0.5mm to 1mm. This means that when you're actually standing in the binding that, due to the flex of the ski, that the heel will be just touching the boot. If you don't leave the slight gap when when doing the bench set-up then when clicking in the weighted ski on the ground the rear of the boot will be bashing the top front edge of the heel turret every time it's installed.

Thanks for the pro advice as always!

Millsy’s skis arriving tomorrow and 17:00 sunshine tour on the menu Very Happy
latest report
New Wally setup
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy